WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: powder coating question

Shaking is more like tossing a salad (I tend to use that motion anyway). Swirling creates the static but alone is like just spinning the bowl around the 'mass' of powder & boolits that don't move. Shaking also lifts powder off the bottom of the bowl, it doesn't have much weight so it tends to just sit there.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    You are correct, the swirling motion/friction with the #5 (I've heard #2 but haven't tried that) creates a static charge. I have no idea why people are shaking the containers unless it is to get aggression out and ding up the boolits.

Many of the better powders don't require BB's or plastic beads.

If your toaster oven doesn't go down to 150° line a tray with boolits and set it on top of the toaster oven for 15 min to pre-warm.

Before you bake any boolits I would check and see how far off the temperature setting is on your toaster oven by using an oven thermometer.

You need to knock/sift/shake off all the excess powder before you bake the boolits.
    Just a fyi:
    I installed a BBQ thermometer in my toaster oven. I found that when I first turn it on and set it to the setting I use (380F) it will go up to 500 degrees then finally the thermostat will kick in and it will go back down to 380. Then it keeps a good constant between 350 and 390. It took me a while to figure that out.
    So what I do is preheat through one cycle of the thermostat before putting the bullets in.

Boolit Bub
    yes. it's a mix of shake and stur. what i've decided to do is give it a spin around the rim, then toss it like flipping pancakes/salad.. spin around.. etc etc. they coat very nice and even.. and consistant. got it working w/ 9, 40 and 45. no preheating needed. MUCH happier w/ the results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12