MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you "particular"?

MyFlatline----That reminds me of the other kind of person you run into at competitions. They have to bet or they don't want to play.
    I can understand money making things a bit more exciting. It just isn't that way for someone shooting on a shoestring budget or for a beginner who doesn't know the game yet.
    Anytime I run into someone who just has to bet, I offer to play the game for a soda pop. If bragging rights aren't good enough, I am not going to lose a lot of money or a friend over a bet. I just won't play their game.
    I have passed up some chances to make fairly serious money(for me) during some of the sports I used to participate in. I was Illinois state champion in archery for a while in the early 90s. Nobody figured a fat old man could possibly shoot that well. I did win several sodas that way.

For my ammo, I am looking for safe and accurate. My standards for accuracy are undoubtedly lower than many or even most here but they suit me fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    MyFlatline----That reminds me of the other kind of person you run into at competitions. They have to bet or they don't want to play.
    I can understand money making things a bit more exciting. It just isn't that way for someone shooting on a shoestring budget or for a beginner who doesn't know the game yet.
    Anytime I run into someone who just has to bet, I offer to play the game for a soda pop. If bragging rights aren't good enough, I am not going to lose a lot of money or a friend over a bet. I just won't play their game.
    I have passed up some chances to make fairly serious money(for me) during some of the sports I used to participate in. I was Illinois state champion in archery for a while in the early 90s. Nobody figured a fat old man could possibly shoot that well. I did win several sodas that way.

For my ammo, I am looking for safe and accurate. My standards for accuracy are undoubtedly lower than many or even most here but they suit me fine.
    I always tried to walk away when someone wanted to bet,,especially in Billiards. It never failed to involve the law. I was not great but good enough to have issues. As I said, lets have fun and enjoy it while we can. Life is to short to be miserable, that's must be why I have 2 x wives...

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    well i thought i was particular until i started reading i have no idea how many rounds any gun has fired a lot but not quite enough. can't tell you how many times my brass has been reloaded. i do pay attention to exactly how much powder goes in and how deep they are seated and amount of crimp. the rest i have no idea brass gets tossed when it doesn't look good. and i hand lube so i can check everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    I always tried to walk away when someone wanted to bet,,especially in Billiards. It never failed to involve the law. I was not great but good enough to have issues. As I said, lets have fun and enjoy it while we can. Life is to short to be miserable, that's must be why I have 2 x wives...
    Billiards is something I understood from a mental perspective and enjoyed doing, but, I could never master. I was never even good at it. I think a 5 year old who could push a cue could have beaten me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Peculiar, but not that particular.
    This is me! I cull my cast bullets pretty hard. Friends tell me I'm too picky. The weight variations on my cast bullets rival factory match bullets. I hand sort wheel weights. I know that a small amount of zinc won't hurt but I strive for zero. I use range brass in my pistols and 223's. And its loaded on a Dillon. I do randomly check the charge weights on a scale. My match ammo starts out as unfired, usually Lapua. My big game hunting ammo starts out as once fired that I bought as new. I do some benchrest stuff to my match and hunting ammo and scale weigh the charges. I wipe the outside off on every gun that I shoot. I lightly clean my reloading dies after using them. I also lightly oil the ram on my presses. I take shooting and reloading safety serious and demand that anyone that I'm with do the same.

Boolit Grand Master

It depends on the intended usage of the ammo and guns. For my cowboy action it being safe and reliable is the only real requirement. On my 1,000 yard match rifles I do what to know and control every deal as precisely as humanly possible. On the other had my cowboy loads were my cast bullet culls go.

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't been casting long enough to be super picky but ....... I cull my boolits and my cases ar every point along the way. Pouring sizing loading. Safety safety safety!! Whether shooting or reloading. I clean my defensive guns after every shooting session every thing else when It starts malfunctioning!

Funny enough, I know how many bullets have gone through my newest gun: It's 43.

This is actually funny because I had 60 boolits and shot 40 and was good with my shooting for the day.
    BUT there was a kid that left a clay at the 100 yard and he was going to pick it up. I looked at him and asked him if he wanted to shoot that clay and that he could shoot my gun if he wanted.
    He shot and missed, his dad shot and missed, then I asked them both if they wanted another shot or if they minded if I took it out. I took it out...
    Last edited by 44Blam; 09-14-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    The loads I make for my hunting rifle may have different brass, but the powder, primer and bullet will all be the same as I've found a load that works well with my rifle. I also use a scale and a trickler for each load. I'll even trim brass if needed, altho that is the most hated segment of handloading for me. I'm pleased that my 30-06 a.i. hasn't needed trimming since it was rechambered!

For fire forming loads I load them light, but use cast boolits w/ gas checks, just because. I'll use a Lee dipper a lot of the time for those.

My pistol rounds I'll use the RCBS powder measure with the micrometer adjuster. I'll measure every 10th load. I shoot cast in my pistols, so I'll examine the boolits a lot, especially when I go to lubrisize them. If I don't like it, it goes back into the pot for another try.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Yes and No.. I guess. I pay attention to details. If i were shooting jacketed bullets that can wear out a throat. Then i track. My .270 win has 836 copper jacketed rounds. But cast bullets, probably around 2,000. Cleaning guns, i clean them about quarterly. Unless something is amiss or testing. I try not to sweet the small stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Moderator Emeritus

I am particular about some things, ...but sadly, I am relatively careless about some other things.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'm particular about who reloads my shells. It must be only me. I'm also particular who I shoot around, and that's why I have my own range. Everything doesn't have to be my way, but it turns out that it is, and that's okay with me.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I built a 44-40 single shot rifle and vowed to never shoot factory ammo in it and keep a round count of shots fired. It's been two months and I've kept the first vow at least....I reload by redneck methods at times but the powder type and charge will correct for safe shooting every time. My 1/2 MOA rifles get fine tuned loads and they get scoop fed plinkers as well.

Boolit Master
    I keep track of rounds fire in each gun. It takes about a minute after each session to enter the number of rounds fired into a spreadsheet. Is it particularly useful? No. But it's still kind of interesting to know how many rounds have been through a gun or know how many rounds I shot during a year.

I've started entering chronograph data into a spreadsheet and that takes a little more time but it should end up being a helpful tool once the dataset gets large enough.

Boolit Buddy
    Shoot 10mm. You will not recover enough of your brass to worry about how many times you have reloaded it. I also recently bought a 357 Sig conversion barrel for my P229. I have not shot that caliber yet but anticipate similar results.

Boolit Master

I think that often some of the particular things that we do are just because we like to, and not for any terribly useful purpose. Nothing wrong with that.

I read an article a while back where someone did some experimentation loading benchrest ammo. For some they carefully weighed each charge, and others they just used a good powder measure. It turned out for them to be irrelevant. I've heard that same result on more than one occasion. Yet when I load rifle ammo for accuracy (though my accuracy standards are not nearly as high), I weigh each charge. Why? Because I want to.

I wet tumble my brass because I like my reloads to be clean and shiny. I know it doesn't make them shoot any better. I just do it because for some weird reason I like to. I know that most of the bullets I throw back into the pot would shoot just fine. It's illogical to waste time recasting them just for looks, yet I do it anyway. Kind of weird I guess.

It sort of depends on where an individual is on their personal mission..... which doesn't need to be the same as anyone elses. Some folks have a hard time with this,not understanding that self actualization works for people at different rates. So they feel it's important to show others what,and how much they know. It can get borish,if you know what I mean if it falls upon someone who "likes" the journey of figuring out things for themselves. Not everyone wants to know the "trick" in a magic act.

Different strokes for different folks. I will admit to keeping track of round counts on new firearms. Until that pce has found itself, detailed notes keep me from useless backtracking.

Boolit Master
    I think that I go through a cycle of being extremely particular when starting out on something new, because I want to do it right and want to do it well. It also scratches my OCD itch. After gaining experience, I sometimes become less particular as I learn what really matters to performance or to me personally.

So now my Glocks get ridden hard and can be put away dirty rather than being detail stripped and cleaned every outing. Now I use range brass of unknown provenance for practice, once I have case rolled and inspected it for the headstamps that don't work for me, but still use brass sorted by head stamp for club matches, and once fired for major matches. After filling notebooks full of load data at the beginning, now I use just one or two reliable recipes that are ten PF points over the threshold so I never have to worry at chrono.

But I'm new to casting! Still reading everything and experimenting. Still trying to make every boolit perfect, and since all of them aren't (still working on my technique, equipment, alloys and different molds) some times the cull rate is absurd.

Hopefully I'll learn what is "good enough" for casting for action pistol. Eventually I won't feel that BNE has to analize every chunk of lead I have, will learn that HiTek is actually fairly forgiving, that if the shot hits inside a six by eleven inch target at twenty five yards, most of the time that's all the accuracy needed, etc.

Banned
    I think this issue can be divided into two different themes:

1. Strict control of the reloading process due to the personality of the reloader.

and

2. Strict control of the reloading process in order to achieve a desired result.

I work with people that are borderline OCD and that's just how they function. And I know people that are in the "perfection is the enemy of adequate" category.

There are often diminishing returns and sometimes an obsession with perfection yields very little improvement. If you need that little bit of improvement - then that quest for perfection may be worth the effort. If you seek that perfection because of a personality trait - that may just be how you function.

When reloading rifle ammunition, consistency is the key to accuracy. That requires a lot of attention to small details.
    When reloading handgun ammunition, consistency is still important but those diminishing returns can be quickly overcome by some other lowest common denominator.

It does no good to spend effort to make better ammunition if some other factor will grossly outweigh those efforts. In fact, sometimes that extra time is actually harmful.
    For example: hand weighing every charge verses throwing a charge by volume. Clearly measuring powder by volume is a faster process. By speeding up the process you may be able to have both more ammunition for shooting practice and more time in which to practice shooting.
    Does the greater potential consistency (if it is even greater in the first place) of the weighed charge produce significantly more accurate ammunition in that particular instance ?

Boolit Buddy

Have always been particular about my casting {like good looking bullets} and reloading{tumble in walnut media after reloading for long term storage}, but as I've got older less particular about some other things, especially how my welds look. Always tried to make them look like a nice layered dirt dobber nest, now just so they hold.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast