RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: case buldges

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va

case buldges

bought a new kel tec p32 32acp and just love the little gun. but it really buldges the brass badly. my question is should this brass be reloaded. i know that lee makes a bulge buster die and i know you can't use one on 32 acp . my first thought is throw it away .any thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180914_100429.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	227126Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180914_100945.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	227127

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    None of the ejected cases from any of my .32 ACPs look anything like that.

I would return your pistol to Kel Tec with some fired cases and the end flap from the cartridge box containing the manufacturer's lot number.

If these are reloads, something is seriously WRONG! Does factory ammo do that?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

these are reloads . they should be ok i use 2.2 grains red dot with a 77grain rcbs round nose bullet overall length may be a little short at .935 but any longer and the top lube grove would be exposed. i also use so-called once fired brass . now it doesn't do this with ever round just most and all show something the buldges are exactly where the feed ramp stops supporting the case. my other 32 auto (cz50) doesn't do this. i have read this is a common problem with the p32 . it has a long feed ramp and lose chamber for max reliability. i like the gun enough that if i have to throw the brass away so be it. the brass is very cheap $25 per 500 shipped. i will try factory ammo next time out.

Boolit Master

How short on the OAL? Just seating a little deeper than OAL specified by load data or getting some bullet setback upon chambering can cause pressures to skyrocket. If you are seating deeper than specified by data, then I'd drop the load down as well. Those look way too hot.

the book i use doesn't give a length for the rcbs bullet this is old data from rcbs. other bullets list min. length at .940 so at .935 i am a little short . but with this bullet that was designed for 32acp any longer and i mean at .940 the lube grove starts to show. the rounds show no other signs of pressures but maybe this is my sign? the max overall is .974 to .980.

Boolit Master
    Do what you want, but I would be doing something different. D.
    Dennis Eugene "You know why no one panic buys 30-06? Because people who shoot 30-06 don't panic"

Boolit Master
    Where do you get your brass?
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

i am looking to do something different i am looking to modify a lee 100 grain rn so that it is closer to 80 grains and set it out farther. but as i say this seems to be a common problem with the p32 even with factory ammo. some brands do it and others don't. maybe due to case thickness. i get my brass from brassman https://brassmanbrass.com . and for other brass that you don't see give him a call. he has 32sw long at times $40 per 500 shipped and has 32hr from time to time.

Boolit Grand Master

After enlarging the pics Its more apparent the feed ramp is cut / polished farther than the solid head of the case. the bulge is in the shape of the ramp. I would send it back to kel tec with cases and description of problem. also buy a box of factory rounds known to do this and send factory once fired cases. On most firearms reloads void the warranty.

A small case bvuilds pressures much faster and quicker so small changes variances in the load can make a big difference in pressures.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    i am looking to do something different i am looking to modify a lee 100 grain rn so that it is closer to 80 grains and set it out farther. but as i say this seems to be a common problem with the p32 even with factory ammo. some brands do it and others don't. maybe due to case thickness. i get my brass from brassman https://brassmanbrass.com . and for other brass that you don't see give him a call. he has 32sw long at times $40 per 500 shipped and has 32hr from time to time.
    Did the Lee mod, makes and awesome 81 grain bullet if you leave all of the middle driving band.

My Kel-tec bulges cases, but nothing like that! Those are either way to hot or you have a bad barrel!!! Mine gets much better with import brass as it is a little thicker as they were designed for the CIP chamber. What bullet diameter are you using? My P32 slugs out to need a .311, maybe you are using a warm load and .314's? These have a tiny case volume, loading is pretty critical here. I find that running my 81 grain Lee the best loads are around factory Winchester OAL.

Be careful! The P32 is not a strong gun! I mainly shoot a CZ70, it is a tank. I have never tried Red Dot, do not have any. I really like Titegroup in this round. I have tried 231 and Clays as well.

This thread has a ton of good info: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2ACP-Project-1
    Last edited by mattw; 09-14-2018 at 11:45 AM.

yes that is exactly what i was planning on the lee mold. and yes it buldges exactly along the feed ramp just put one in and it matches exactly where the feed ramp is. the bullets are sized to .311 .i guess i could try only lubing one grove and setting the bullet out farther. old lyman list max for 77grain at 2.3 red dot others list 2.3 max for 71 grain bullets pulled some of the bullets apart and all were 2.15 to 2.2 grains. the new hornady book list 2.3 for 71 grain bullet as max . may not be over but certainly brushing up against it. will back off a bit and try again. plan on contacting kel tec after i try factory ammo. not foolish enough to say i was shooting reloads as that will void most warranties .and i think i will trash these. like i say this is a pocket gun that probly wount see a great deal of range time so if i have to trash them so be it. as small as it is and at only 6 onces you can't hardly tell you have it.

Boolit Master

Since it doesn't bulge all cases, is it possible the boolit is getting pushed back into the case during feeding. Have you chambered rounds and then verified OAL hasnt changed?

it doesn't bulge on all cases but you can see something on all them. no i haven't checked to see if they are getting pushed back but i will.

What's the primer look like?

Boolit Master

@RED BEAR, the little guy just disappears in a pocket. I carry mine in my back jeans pocket with a sheet of plastic cut to pocket shape from a gallon milk jug. This eliminates all printing!

the primers aren't really all that bad.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180914_123218.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	227144

Boolit Master

I have talked with them about case bulges in mine. I am not the original owner and it may cost to get a barrel for mine, they would not let me buy a barrel. Those primers do not look to bad, I go for rounded edges and very little flattening in mine as I do not want to beat it up. I think I am running 1.8 of TG behind the 81 Lee. Maybe it is opening to soon? Weak recoil spring?

Boolit Grand Master

I would guess bad chamber and would do a cast first.

they are known to have lose chambers but how lose i am not sure .

also when i cycle them by hand they do not push the bullet back at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast