RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: case buldges

Boolit Buddy
    It is obvious the case is unsupported at the feed ramp. Send the barrel back to the kel tec to be replaced. If you don't let us know what happens when a case ruptures there, hope you don't get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I made some cases like that with a 1911 when I got carried away polishing the feed ramp.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook - 3rd Edition shows a 77 gr RN - OAL .975" - min. 1.5 gr - max. 2.3 gr. of RED DOT

I don't reload 32 ACP - BUT - brass like that coming out of my gun would certainly be making me ask "why?" and I wouldn't be shooting it until I found out why.

If you are using your reloads - have you tried a box of commercial loads yet to see if they come out the same way?

You are using .1 grain under the max load - how are you measuring your charges and are you checking to see if they are dropping accurately. I load several different cartridges that are in the 1.9 to 2.5 range of Red Dot and IF I uses a powder measure - Lee Perfect or Lyman 55 - Red Dot doesn't always meter real well - certainly not like Bulls Eye or similar.

Now for the next question . . . di you work up your loads or just pick one? I have no experience with a KelTec, but with all of my semi-autos, I have always started low and worked up until I find where they cycle - then fine tune it. None have ever been .1 grain under ma.

There are a lot of things to check . . . but, but if they are bulging like that . . . something has to "allow" them to bulge - off tolerance chamber, etc. Id try a few commercial loads and if you still get it, send it back to KT with the cartridge box and spent casings. If commercial doesn't do it - then you really need to be looking at your load.

Small pistol + big hand + shrapnel = very bad day.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    the case is definitely not supported there you can take it apart and put a shell in the barrel and see it is not supported there. and the fact it is not supported there is obviously what caused the buldges they match up exactly with the barrel. it is my understanding that it was designed this way. i am still going to check with kel tec after i shoot some factory ammo. i have read that a lot of people say this is normal for the gun. my original question was would you reload these or just trash them?

i use a digital scale (gemini) . to measure them and check every 15th or so against a balance beam. it is always right on the money. i always load from 2.15 to 2.2 grains red dot i set the powder measure a little light and trickle up to weight. all the ones i pulled apart that were left over from trip to range were right on money 2.15 to 2.2 . when loading i use nothing less than 2.15 and nothing over 2.2. these loads show no other signs of high pressure and work just fine in my other 32 a cz 50 and a charter arms 32 hr. after checking with kel tec i will let everyone know what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    the primers aren't really all that bad.Attachment 227144
    The pressure looks ok, when you look in the chamber, does it look normal? My PPK's a blowback design and on my warmer loads, the cases seem a little bulged...

Boolit Master

I had a P32, reloaded for it and used the same boolit and never had a case look like that after firing, not even close. To answer your question, throw that brass in your recycle bucket, then send the gun back with a case or at least pics.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Using the Precision Cast Bullet Design ~ Advanced software application, I scaled out R.C.B.S.'s image of their 32-77-RN 465 bullet and set it up in the Precision Load Records software application to make sure of the dimensions and case volume data then run everything through QuickLoad to see what the pressures would be.

It appears that your load is close to the maximum but still in the safe zone.

Shortening the C.O.A.L. by 1/10" raised the pressure from 19,606 psi to 20,131 psi, Real close to the SAAMI published Maximum of 20,500 psi.

Notice how small the velocity increase was in comparison to the increase in pressure.

Last edited by Tom Myers; 09-14-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

thanks tom i have nothing like that. i do plan on contacting kel tec after i shoot some factory ammo . have to wait for monday i saved money by joining the range on weekdays. retired so doesn't make any difference to me.

Boolit Master

Another duplicate post. Got to figure out what is causing this.
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 09-14-2018 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12