Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxPBcastcoInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .32 H&R Magnum article in Handloader Magazine this month....

Does Pearce still list the 100 grain XTP with 11.8 grains of W296 for the 32 H&R mag? He had that listed in a HL mag article from a few years back and I still use it for Single Six loads.

For plinking and practice, it's a Meister 94 grain rnfp with 3.0 - 3.5 grains W231.

I just got a Mihec mold, The Mjolnir, that throws a 130 grain wfn and a 123 grain hp but haven't cast any of those yet.

Boolit Master
    He does not have any W296 loads listed for the Hornady 100gr XTP.

I recently went to W231 powder that duplicates factory loads for my Titanium J-frame. Before that, I had settled on an HS-6 load to duplicate factory loads. Unfortunately, HS-6 (especially with lubed lead bullets) is far too dirty for Titanium.

Early on, I tried just about anything and most worked OK or better (Red Dot, Bullseye, Unique, etc). I stopped using Red Dot and Unique because they don't meter worth a darn. When I was young, I did not have a meter and weighed each and every charge so that did not matter. After I got a meter (actually, I ended up buying two different ones because the first one did so poorly with those powders) that mattered. With testing, I found that the meters were not the problem. The powders were. So I got different powders.

Boolit Bub
    I’m on the group buy for that mold, but still waiting.

Boolit Grand Master
    I remember the data that Skeeter Skelton published--and soon retracted--in Shooting Times. Given my experience with the 32 H&R in a Ruger SSM and a S&W Model 16-4, I thought his powder weights might get him into trouble with the liability lawyers that burden society with their snivelings and mopings. And it did.

I have yet to pick up Handloader to read the article. The best source for 32 H&R data prior to this Pearce article appears in the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual No. 1, pp. 133. It lists a bullet that I consider the single-best 32 S&W Long/32 H&R/327 Federal bullet design ever birthed--the RCBS #32-98 SWC. I have sent thousands of these castings downrange from my revolvers over the years, from 700-1200 FPS. The bullet has accounted for untold numbers of small and medium game and varmints during this time. I LOVE the S&W M-16-4, and it has been shot A LOT. I am slowly warming up to the SP-101 x 4.2" in 327, but like the 32 H&R I have trouble justifying a velocity over 1100 FPS for most of my uses. The Lyman #313631, a 100 grain SWC/GC, gets most of the work when velocities exceed 1100 FPS. This bullet refuses to shoot well until it is prompted past 1100 FPS, and gets better as it goes faster. I have run it to 1900 FPS in a 32/20 Marlin CCL, but I don't like its pointy form in a tubular magazine. It remains accurate, though--whether at 1900 FPS from the rifle or at 1400+ from the SP-101. I gotta say--those loads in the SP-101 are LOUD, rivaling the report of my 30 Carbine Blackhawk for intensity.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I just got my HANDLOADER yesterday. Skimmed over the article. Not much new. I take anything Pearce writes with a BIG GRAIN OF SALT.
    Look at the article by pure numbers. Allowing just 5 minutes to load the brass & shoot 5 rds for each individual loading, It's about 58 hours just for load testing for the article.
    And he writes one column each month for at least 4 different magazines. And one or two articles for each magazine every month.
    Where does he find the time to run his big Cattle Ranch.

I worked a month every summer for 5yrs as a teenager, up near FRESNO, CA. It was 6 1/2 days a week. 5am til dark at 8pm. Then you spent another couple hours fixing equipment under the lights in the big shed or working on saddle gear or sharpening tools. The only shooting we did was at the occasional coyote.
    And my DAD'S friend, Big Tom was always up before us and went to bed after us.
    Just find his stuff hard to believe.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus

I enjoyed the article. It showed up in the grocery store aisle yesterday. It shows quite a bit of current data with a lot more cast bullets than most do.
    Walks, a friend runs 350 head of cows, coaches football and is involves with basketball at the High School level, volunteers for his church and has done 2 terms on the school board. He had never had a hired man until his son joined him. They run about 800 acres of hay ground and his son spends more time coaching and volunteering than he does. Just saying, you never know about people.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I’m thinking bout buying the issue but want to know if there are any loads for 115 cast in there. I’ve used a h110 load of 10.0 grains Pierce wrote about some time ago and really like it but who doesn’t want options.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

I have three loads for my Ruger .32 H&R, 3.5g W231, 10.0g 2400, with 100g swc, and 11.5g W296 with100g XTP. All shoot very well, I carry the single six loaded with three each 100g/W231 and 100g XTP/W296, while small game hunting for coyote/fox medicine.

Mike

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I’ve read the article after it was called to my attention by Dale53. He and I have an ongoing discussion over the relative merits of the 32 H&R Mag-wannabe and the 327 Federal (true) Magnum. Now I’ll have to load up a bunch of Brian’s suggested H&R loads to compare them with similar loads in the longer cases. Oh the humanity of it!

For the record, I’ll be doing most of my load testing in my Ruger BH 327 FM eight shooter. I’ve got plenty of reserve strength in that to wring out whatever high performance loads I want to play with. If I’m limiting myself to mild stuff, I’ll use 32 S&W L brass so I can use it in all of my smaller guns. Why did I buy that 32 H&R brass again??

Froggie
    Wait.

Ruger made an 8 shot 327 federal magnum blackhawk? In a flat top by chance?

Or is this a custom?

Not a flat top as I recall, but not a custom either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    I’m thinking bout buying the issue but want to know if there are any loads for 115 cast in there. I’ve used a h110 load of 10.0 grains Pierce wrote about some time ago and really like it but who doesn’t want options.
    There are 5 loads with the CP 118 FP, 1 with A7 and 4 with Longshot. This is from a sample online I found and took pics of with my cell phone. Text me if you want or just do an online search for the current issue of Handloader...

PM sent

Doug

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Wait.

Ruger made an 8 shot 327 federal magnum blackhawk? In a flat top by chance?

Or is this a custom?
    About 5-6 years ago (IIRC) Ruger had what I consider to be a "Stealth Release" of what was a regular production gun, an eight shot Blackhawk in 327 Federal Magnum. There was virtually no advertising, in fact even though I am a somewhat enthusiastic fan of handguns in general and 32s in particular, I didn't really know about it until about the time it was discontinued ("due to lack of interest" I guess.) I'm not surprised you aren't familiar with it.

I found one on Gunbroker and snapped it up, even though I was having my custom S&W Project 616 built. I didn't even know about the two extra rounds until after I had ordered it! I believe that Ruger was in the process of closing out the run of them even as I was ordering mine. A full size Blackhawk is a big gun for the 32, even the 327 FM. Even with two extra chambers, there is a LOT of steel left in that Blackhawk cylinder!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I've got one of those eight shooters, them cylinder holes are deep as well, so they can use long long boolits! It's a heavy hoss of a gun that brings the recoil of full house 100gr American Eagle 327FM loads into the 32 auto range! It shoots like a laser to boot!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I've got one of those eight shooters, them cylinder holes are deep as well, so they can use long long boolits! It's a heavy hoss of a gun that brings the recoil of full house 100gr American Eagle 327FM loads into the 32 auto range! It shoots like a laser to boot!
    My 327 FM loads using the NOE 314008 reach almost to the front face of the cylinder of my custom S&W K-frame. Not a problem with the BH! That thing is a real stud hoss!! I’ve considered mounting a scope on it, but I figure 8 beans in the wheel is as far from “normal” as I want to get. There was some speculatin’ on the S&W Forum just the other day about how cool it would be to have an 8-shot L-frame in327 FM. I’m waiting, but I’m not holding my breath!

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 09-25-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: *#@$# spellcheck!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I have two of the GP100s in 327 that I'm pretty sure they could have crammed 8 into had they tried. Have you noticed how many Ruger Bisley 32 H&Rs in unfired condition hit the auctions when the 327 Bisley came out?

Boolit Master

Well I went to Cabelas to pick up this issue and well, not only did they not have any handloading magazines at all, the only gun mag they had was a solitary issue of guns and ammo. I did however get accosted 4 separate times to sign up for their credit card.

Surprisingly, I found it at the local Barnes and Noble, along with a host of other gun mags. I also got a $2 off coupon at their coffee shop which I’ll give to Mrs Fishman. I haven’t read it yet but I appreciate the OP bringing it to our attention and Dougader for giving me the info I needed to determine if I wanted to buy it or not. It also has an article on suitable powders for the Garand, which is timely as well!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Anyone remember the issue number and/or date? I'd like to find a copy and/or a .pdf of the Pearce data somewhere.

Thanks!

Oct-nov 2018
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master
    Pearce has a number of sons to help with things.

I view the use of lighter loads in the 327 case with little enthusiasm. Velocity variation has been noted as excessive, which is pretty much what I would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Oct-nov 2018
    Thanks.

Not seeing this particular bit of data online anywhere as a .pdf unlike a bunch of Pearce's other data.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast