Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .32 H&R Magnum article in Handloader Magazine this month....

Boolit Master

.32 H&R Magnum article in Handloader Magazine this month....

Just got my issue today. Went first to the .32 H&R Magnum article (.30-06 Garand article next). A few notes:

1) The author says, "I have been using select +P loads in multiple revolvers for 34 years and have never experienced a single case failure...other than normal cracking that is associated with cases being reloaded many times." Sounds like he got started at the very beginning, but I had a VERY bad time with factory Federal cases splitting full length on the first or second firing for several years. I have talked with many other .32 Mag users that report the same thing. I almost dropped that caliber because of that. Luckily, Starline started making them with brass that did not split and I started gathering other .32 Mags about me (and have been very happy I did).

2) The author says, "Some maximum +P loads exhibited sticky extraction in the Model 331 Airlite Ti." I had the same problem with sticky, but I never tried +P loads in it. I found (through several experiments) that Ti was extremely sensitive to powder/lube residue. Ti is not nearly as slick as steel or even stainless steel. I went to the cleanest powder I knew (W231) and jacketed 85gr Hornady XTP's (no separate lube). That took care of the problem. I do not use dirtier powders or lead bullets with lube on them anymore in that particular gun. I even bought 200 nickel plated brass cases. I am not sure if they extract/eject easier, but it is easier to keep the loads apart that way.

3) The author notes that measured throats and groove diameters vary all over the map, but 0.312" seems to work most of the time. Same for me except for the Harrington & Richardson revolvers. They need a full 0.314". Some of my old S&W's and Colt's from the early 20th Century (in .32 Caliber, but not .32 Magnum) also need a full 0.314". That is why I cast my .32 bullets, but don't size and lube them until I am ready to load.

Other than that, it is a very complete list of loads, that will be of interest to me. I have already seen several that I use on the list.

Boolit Master

Very neat! Was it Brian Pierce? I like his articles.

I too size all my .32s at .314. My guns gobble them up.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I had a pair of H&R revolvers, 732 and 733. (blued and nickle) Both in .32sw long.

Nickle ended up going to my shooting buddy as I never could get my wife interested in shooting it.

Blackie is a favorite of mine. Both love their bullets at .314. I have bumped those up to .315 trying to get better fit in Nickie. It did help, but even so the best I was ever able to do was I'd say 3" group at 20 feet.

Blackie on the other hand has been known on a good day to put 6 almost all touching inside a 1" circle.

I've also shot 00 buckshot run through a .314 size die, and those shot well also.

I did finally buy a Ruger New Model Single Six in .32H&R mag, but have yet to fire a factory .32 mag in it.

But it does great with the .32sw longs. Love the 6" barrel and long sight picture.

Them .32's they grow on ya, at least in my case.

Been kinda thinking about a Henry in .327 mag, either single shot or lever would work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    Very neat! Was it Brian Pierce? I like his articles.
    Yes, it is.

Boolit Master
    Well, may visit the bookstore afterall. Maybe things looking up for those magazines!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve read the article after it was called to my attention by Dale53. He and I have an ongoing discussion over the relative merits of the 32 H&R Mag-wannabe and the 327 Federal (true) Magnum. Now I’ll have to load up a bunch of Brian’s suggested H&R loads to compare them with similar loads in the longer cases. Oh the humanity of it!

For the record, I’ll be doing most of my load testing in my Ruger BH 327 FM eight shooter. I’ve got plenty of reserve strength in that to wring out whatever high performance loads I want to play with. If I’m limiting myself to mild stuff, I’ll use 32 S&W L brass so I can use it in all of my smaller guns. Why did I buy that 32 H&R brass again??

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    That just tears it! I had been buying my Handloader magazines at Kroger, but now they are in on the feminization campaign with the other lefty loonies, I have been without Handloader.

Boolit Master
    GhostHawk: Most of my H&R's are .32 S&W Long, but I do have one in .32 H&R Magnum. All of them shoot about the same. Better than your Nickle, but not as good as your Blackie. They don't shoot as well as my S&W's, but back when all I could afford was an H&R, it did well enough for me. I never tried sizing to 0.315" since none of my moulds cast that large. A 0.314" sizer just barely touches most of the bullets I cast. I use 0.312" for my S&W's and Rugers in .32 Mag.

Boolit Grand Master

The particular article in Handloader by Brian Pearce that is the topic of this thread is just flat excellent! I consider the performance envelope of the .32 H&R to be near perfect. Excellent results at target velocities as well as at “Magnum” velocities (100 gr. Jacketed bullet at 1300 fps).

I have shot thousands of loads through the .32 H&R revolvers I have owned. Almost all of the loads have been with my home cast bullets. I have gravitated to a nominal 100 gr. Cast bullet at 800-1000 fps for uses both on the range and in the field. The performance on edible small game has been exemplary. The accuracy on the range is under an inch at 25 yards.

I have owned a Ruger Single Six, and a Ruger SP101. Both were excellent. I still have my S&W Model 631 (the near perfect kit gun) and my S&W Model 16-4. They have been EXTREMELY satisfying.

FWIW,
    Dale

Boolit Master

You guys forced me to buy it. It is a good one. The Wadcutter article is good too.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    One of the things I found interesting about this article is mentioning +P loads for the .32 H&R Magnum. I have known about +P loads since Skeeter Skelton wrote a couple of articles about his loads and a Ruger Super-Single-Six. But at just short of 40,000psi, they might have really been +P+ or maybe +P+++++. The lawyers for whatever magazine it was written in (maybe Shooting Times) made Skeeter retract his loads in writing the very next month. The meeting where that decision came down would have been an interesting one to listen in on. You did not have to read between the lines to tell Skeeter was not at all happy with the decision, but he went with it. Anyway, this article mentions sane +P loads for Rugers.

I did not use them until I got my own Ruger and even they were considerably short of Skeeters loads. Still, loads that I believe to be in the 28,000psi or so range are really nice in that gun. Accurate and sporty with plenty of sight distance on the 6-1/2" barrel. After I got a Ruger SP-101, I found that it could take those loads, too (but, using 2400 powder, it can also double as a flame thrower with its short barrel). I do not use those loads in any other .32 H&R gun I own. Stock power loads are more than good enough for punching paper.

Way back when, when all I could afford was a 4" H&R solid frame revolver in .32 Long, I had +P loads for it that were somewhat close to what later became stock Factory .32 H&R Magnum loads (there was very little accurate information on pressure back then, but I never blew the gun up). Still it was more than enough for a teenage me to take rabbit and squirrel. Nowadays, I don't know what the .32 H&R Magnum loads will do with small game because all the places I hunted are now well within the City and surrounded by buildings. Land outside the current City is posted or permission is routinely refused. Besides I cannot walk for hours over moderately rough terrain like I used to. Still, it is a fun cartridge and I have a variety of different guns (each with its own personality) to try it in.

It is a fun cartridge. I wish I had it (and the money to use it), 50 or so years ago.
    Last edited by Harry O; 09-16-2018 at 05:21 PM.

Harry O, I was wondering when somebody would bring Skeeter's loads up. I remember reading that article in Shooting Times. I remember reading, he said that he thought the .32 H&R wouldn't really beat the old .32-20 but, he found out different. His .32 Mag. loads were hot!
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    Harry O, I was wondering when somebody would bring Skeeter's loads up. I remember reading that article in Shooting Times. I remember reading, he said that he thought the .32 H&R wouldn't really beat the old .32-20 but, he found out different. His .32 Mag. loads were hot!
    I had the great opportunity to speak with Skeeter at what I believe was his last public appearance (at an NRA National meeting.) I was eager to get his opinion of building a 32-20 TC Contender for handgun silhouette competition. He was quick to tell me that the 32 H&R was superior to his old stand-by and suggested I go that way. I went on to own a Ruger Blackhawk (Buckeye Special) combo 32 and a S&W Model 16-4 (both of which regretfully I let get away from me ) and a low wall Winchester rechambered to that caliber (also long gone )

So now I have a Ruger BH and a custom S&W K-frame in 327 Fed Mag to handle all the straight sided 32 pistol cases, and no, I don't plan to let them go! Since Skeeter thought so highly of the 32 H&R Magnum wannabe, I just know he would have loved the 327, since he was pushing that kind of performance in the earlier effort at a 32 magnum. OK, Dale53... have at it telling me how wrong I am! I guess I'm going to have to come up to Ohio and show you what's what?

The Magnumized 32 Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

OK, Dale53... have at it telling me how wrong I am! I guess I'm going to have to come up to Ohio and show you what's what?

The Magnumized 32 Frog[/QUOTE]

Froggie;
    You have an open invitation, as you well know One of the neat things about this, each of us can, and has followed our heart, in our choice of cartridge. Even tho’ I am correct in my thinking that THE answer is the .32 H&R ,we can share our affection for the .32’s in general. THAT transends petty differences...

Dale53

^ Amen brother!

Boolit Master
    Anyone know if that Shooting Times article is online anywhere?
    Thanks Aaron

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    must get magazine. the wife thinks i have lost my mind. i am on a major 32 kick just can't get enough. 32 sw, longs, hr, and acp . don't have a 327 yet but hopefully in the near future.

I'm with you Red Bear, thinking about a .32acp next.

Boolit Master
    I don't have a .327 yet, either. However, I know that someday, somewhere, I will find one at a "really good price" and buy it. Then I will spend the money I saved (and much more) on new cases, new dies, new moulds to try, and other things.

I resisted the .32 Long Colt for about 35 years until I ran across a hollow-base bullet mould for it at a really good price. I have probably spent a couple of thousand dollars on that caliber since then, just because I bought a cheap mould for $25.

Boolit Grand Master

I just got that in the mail today. It is odd since I never ordered it but I've gotten the last 2 issues for some reason. They sure are interesting and that article about the 32 H&R has me almost talked into one.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast