WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me the proper choke for yotes.

Recommend me the proper choke for yotes.

Time for me to part with some hard earned cash. This is a new game for me as I'm a long time rifle-pistol shooter, but have little experience in shotguns. I need a choke that will give me the best chance of taggin a yote out to about 40yds. The gun is a Weatherby PA459 in 20ga. And I'll be using #3-4 buck. It takes Beretta-Benelli type chokes and they're kind of spendy, so I'd like to buy just once. So what say ye ole guru's of all things scatter gun? Help me spend my money right the first time.
    Thanks, Dave.

Vendor Sponsor

Well, you want to grab him from behind his neck and lift him completely off the ground so he can't use his legs, they should be pointed away from you if you grabbed him/her just right, and the more they kick and fight the faster they burn up the residual oxygen in their brain and the less you have to fight with them. Just don't let them go too soon, make SURE there is no pulse, and just for good measure carry a long cable tie with you and snatch one of those around it's neck real tight to ensure it doesn't regain consciousness again and set out to miserate on the one that choked him. That's about all the advice I can give you on the proper choke for a yote!!!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    It was just a matter of time

Boolit Master

Definitely full choke.....maybe! Only your gun will tell you. But I would bet on full for the tightest pattern using standard buck loads. The exception would be the flite control wads in federal but I don't think they make it in 20 ga. buck loads. #3 buck in 2 3/4" has 18 pellets....buy the copper coated. 3" has a couple or 3 more. My boys and I killed a bunch of deer over 5 years with the 20 ga #3. 40 yds would be pushing it though. Here is grandson's first 5 yrs ago.Attachment 227079 2 3/4" 18 pellet #3. He killed 6 or 7 more with that little Binelli

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Well, you want to grab him from behind his neck and lift him completely off the ground so he can't use his legs, they should be pointed away from you if you grabbed him/her just right, and the more they kick and fight the faster they burn up the residual oxygen in their brain and the less you have to fight with them. Just don't let them go too soon, make SURE there is no pulse, and just for good measure carry a long cable tie with you and snatch one of those around it's neck real tight to ensure it doesn't regain consciousness again and set out to miserate on the one that choked him. That's about all the advice I can give you on the proper choke for a yote!!!
    You a funny guy there Doug! Just think, all the coins I save with the great advice, and not having to experiment with hoity toidy high dollar choke tubes, I can send to you. I have two cylinders that need some love. But, I heard you're not reaming cylinders anymore.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Definitely full choke.....maybe! Only your gun will tell you. But I would bet on full for the tightest pattern using standard buck loads. The exception would be the flite control wads in federal but I don't think they make it in 20 ga. buck loads. #3 buck in 2 3/4" has 18 pellets....buy the copper coated. 3" has a couple or 3 more. My boys and I killed a bunch of deer over 5 years with the 20 ga #3. 40 yds would be pushing it though. Here is grandson's first 5 yrs ago.Attachment 227079 2 3/4" 18 pellet #3. He killed 6 or 7 more with that little Binelli
    Nice looking family. Great picture also. I know what you mean by 'maybe' I've read just about everything I can find posted on the web about this gun and buck for yotes. No real difinitive answers. But I think I will go full, 3" with plated shot. Hopefully Santa will bring me a Lee Load All for xmas. Then I can start to play a bit with different loads.

Boolit Master

What do you have now?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    What do you have now?
    Not sure what you're asking here. The Weatherby has a cylinder bore choke installed from the factory. I have zero shotgun loading equipment.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    You a funny guy there Doug! Just think, all the coins I save with the great advice, and not having to experiment with hoity toidy high dollar choke tubes, I can send to you. I have two cylinders that need some love. But, I heard you're not reaming cylinders anymore.....
    I am not reaming cylinders! I have converted over to just honing them with the Sunnen hone!! MUCH higher quality work than what a reamer can do! But I am in full swing with cylinders and barrels, send a PM including your gun and caliber and I will reply with a quote..

Where did you hear I had quit reaming cylinders, or did you read the title of my post a while back but not the content?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I use a Carlson's Dead Coyote choke tube, running #4 Buck Hevi-Shot loads. You can reach W-A-Y out with that combo.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

40 yards isn't that far, and a Full choke will be what you want. I never owned a 20 gauge, but it is worth a look if you can get BB instead of 3 buck. For all I know 3 buck patterns great in 20 gauge, something to keep in mind.

Boolit Master

Do yourself a favor after you get set up and pattern your gun/choke/shells at distance. Forget the 30" circle, get an 8" splatter target on a bigger piece of board to see your real killing pattern. Good luck and keep us posted.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I am not reaming cylinders! I have converted over to just honing them with the Sunnen hone!! MUCH higher quality work than what a reamer can do! But I am in full swing with cylinders and barrels, send a PM including your gun and caliber and I will reply with a quote..

Where did you hear I had quit reaming cylinders, or did you read the title of my post a while back but not the content?
    I read the entire post. That was just my style of humor. just a little back at ya.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen better heavy shot patterns with the more "0pen" chokes mod or improved modified. Some of this may be attributed to less shot deformation passing thru the choke. This can make a difference in extended range loads. My model 11 rem is choked pre shot cup and with finer shot (6-9) has a better range than modern choked guns, but with heavier shot sizes (4-buckshots) groups open quicker due to the over choked barrel.

If you have choke tubes cylinder imp full ( these sometimes are included with the gun), test a few rounds on a pattern board and see what does best. Last way is to buy extra full tube and a brake hone and adjust the tube to what you want.

Boolit Grand Master

I doubt a guy who cant, or doesn't want to buy a bunch of choke tubes has the money to spend $5 per shot on hevishot. I sure don't. Patterning would be best, but I'll say dollars to donuts a full choke will throw a coyote lethal pattern at 40 yards.

Boolit Grand Master

Test test test, until you actually shoot you don't know what the pattern will be. Sometimes too tight a choke will spread buckshot patterns. I have had good luck with a standard model 12 and Winchester fixed modified choke. When we drove coyote we would have box shoots with a peach box set up at 50 and 100 yards and would see who could put the most pellets in a box. We shot and shot with different loads and shot sizes to see what shot best. We didn't use any shot larger than #4 buck and most favoured #2 or Fox shot.

Boolit Bub
    I don't think buckshot out of a 20 gauge is much of a coyote getter. Around here there's enough cover that recovery would be an issue with buckshot. That said, I run a Briley Improved Modified .018 in my Beretta 20 for all shot types (steel/lead/hevi/TSS).
    http://www.briley.com/p-54245-mobil-...-20-gauge.aspx

For really effective long range patterns put money into TSS and handloading equipment. With the right setup you can put the hurt on yodel dogs way out there.
    TSS #3 out of the 20 gauge at 60 yards.

TSS #3 out of a 12 gauge at 85 yards. Full Choke Ithaca 37.
    Last edited by wildflilghts; 09-15-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Coyote- 60 yards, TSS #6 Improved Cylinder chokes

Boolit Bub
    For buckshot, this may be the way to go...
    https://www.federalpremium.com/produ...shell/pd256-4b

Those flitecontrol wads really do work.

Thanks for all the input folks. I decided to go full choke based on all the reading I've done and the input from here. After checking out the offerings from Carlson's, Tru Lock, and Brileys, I voted with my wallet and bought from Carlson's. Simply because they also listed a rifled choke in the Bennelli style where the others did not, and I want to play with that also. Once I get a loader and get things rolling, I will buy a bag of the TSS in #4B and give it a go. I will also be experimenting with round ball loads.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast