MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersPBcastcoReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankfort Arsenal Platinum Series powder measure

Boolit Master

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series powder measure

I got a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series powder measure in the mail today. I must say that I am quite impressed. Build quality is quite decent.

Cast frame with other metal parts. Comes with a solid metal stand, and a ledge
    Mount. No play in the drum to body mating, and it has a micrometer adjustment for the powder charge.

For $64.99 I am quite impressed with what you get. I’ll be running a pound of unique through it after supper.
    Last edited by Love Life; 09-13-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    Considering it comes with a stand it does seem quite a value. The stands alone a a small fortune. It looks like it's the same rotary drum design as the vast majority of the powder measures. If it's as accurate as the RCBS, Hornady, Redding, etc....

RCBS, Hornady, Redding and the like all make decent equipment and have incredible warranty's. It doesn't seem like no matter how you abused the poor product they'll still replace it or fix it for you...and that may be why they cost so much more.

I wonder if you ran over the Franfort measure with your pickup truck if they would replace it?
    Last edited by AbitNutz; 09-13-2018 at 07:33 PM.
    [

Boolit Master
    I can give it a try!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Pictures please... catalog illustrations I have seen don’t really reveal much.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Any specific parts you want close ups of?

Banned

Frankford Arsenal have been producing winners at decent prices. Their hand primer, de-primer, FART, etc have been great tools. Use a lot of Unique so very interested in your results.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series powder measure for over a year now and I love it. I dont have any problems with quality and everything feels solid metal and not cheap plastic. I use small Lee auto drum on my turret but I have this Frankford one attached directly to my bench so I tend to use this one for rifle rounds mostly as it holds much more powder. Its accurate and consistent from small to large charges.

One things to point out is that its quite large and much bigger and heavier then Lee auto-drum. Its designed to be used alone and not mounted on top of any press.

Boolit Master
    Absolutely. This thing is heavy and solid. It is quite large as well.

Tell you something else about Frankfort Arsenal customer service. I broke the large case collette on their hand deprimer and sent an email about buying a replacement. They responded asking for mailing address and sent a new one, no charge. About 5 days from email to delivery and nice to deal with.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I got a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series powder measure in the mail today. I must say that I am quite impressed. Build quality is quite decent.

Cast frame with other metal parts. Comes with a solid metal stand, and a ledge
    Mount. No play in the drum to body mating, and it has a micrometer adjustment for the powder charge.

For $64.99 I am quite impressed with what you get. I’ll be running a pound of unique through it after supper.
    I'm looking at buying a new powder measure. . .how has your new one worked out? Have you been able to test for accuracy of the drop with various powders yet and what types of powders have you ran through it so far? Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Except for the color, it looks exactly like my old Midway powder measure.
    I think it was made by Redding at the time.
    It's a good measure.
    Doesn't work well with very light loads, even with the small pistol adapter.
    Price is right.
    Attachment 228485

Banned

It do look like a Redding measure.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Except for the color, it looks exactly like my old Midway powder measure.
    I think it was made by Redding at the time.
    It's a good measure.
    Doesn't work well with very light loads, even with the small pistol adapter.
    Price is right.
    Attachment 228485
    Thank you for the reply. when you say a "light load", what do you mean? The lightest powder drop I shoot is 5.5 grains. How is it with stick powders in the 55 to 75 grain range. . .do you know?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    It do look like a Redding measure.
    Yes, is sure does. From the appearance and construction reviews that is what is making me think "Redding" as well. Need to investigate this item more.

Boolit Master

Looks like they have an electronic auto powder measure coming out soon...

Boolit Grand Master
    My midway came with two measures.
    One for rifle and one for pistol.
    Rifle one works fine.
    Pistol one, not so much.
    Don't remember how low a charge it get inconsistent.
    For light charges, I just went back to the Lee disc.
    Faster and more consistent.

Boolit Buddy
    Any updates on it ?

Redding is known for making different measures for different applications. So you choose the measure based on what you are loading.

How does this do with lite pistol loads and the different types of powders ?

I really just wish the OEM's would just make videos showing how their products work for the different choices a reloader has to make when choosing.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorta on topic. Several reloading equipment vendors buy their products and rename them, putting their own name on them. A well known example is the vendors selling Ohaus scales under their own name (not a bad thing). I wonder who actually made these FA powder measures (and the Redding and Midway)?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Sorta on topic. Several reloading equipment vendors buy their products and rename them, putting their own name on them. A well known example is the vendors selling Ohaus scales under their own name (not a bad thing). I wonder who actually made these FA powder measures (and the Redding and Midway)?
    Let me call the Russians Monday morning and get back with you...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Livin_cincy View Post
    Let me call the Russians Monday morning and get back with you...
    ???

Not sure about this post, but it is common practice for a company to sell an item, under their own name, that was manufactured by a different company. With guns, it's been going on for many years; Sears (Savage, Marlin, High Standard) and Montgomery Ward (Mossberg, Marlin ans Stevens) and there are others. Today many tools/equipment is manufactured by one company, renamed and sold by another (scales, presses, powder measures, etc.)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast