Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: Custom Hollow points

Boolit Grand Master

Custom Hollow points

I didn't want to take up anyone else's threads, so I will start a new one.

I have been working on a heavy bullet for 327 federal for a while now, and I think I am almost ready to try it on a live animal. The two bullets I've focused on are both customs from Accurate molds. The first I won't talk about much, as I won't be using it this fall. It is 31-140C, I just copied the SSK design, and scaled it down. I believe it would be better as a plain base with two lube grooves as it was originally intended, also the bore riding section should be .304". It shoots OK, but never wowed me. It works great in the Henry rifle though, which was my original intent. If you want maximum penetration, this is it. The second is actually two bullets, only difference is one is PB and the other GC; 31-148C and 31-148CG. I didn't model this one off any particular bullet, the whole idea though is to maximize bearing surface. The "bore ride" section is still groove diameter, but allows them to drop freely into cylinders. I got a 2 cavity mold, one design each. The plain base version should be ok, but I have had problems with the brass sizing down the bullet, even with a proper expander plug, and causing gas cutting. For this reason, I'm now going to stick with the gas check version.

The gun I've been using recently is the GP 100 5" blued. I've done nothing to the gun besides cleaning up the burrs inside, installing a 12# hammer spring (and 8# trigger return), and shooting it. It is a fantastic handgun.

I've tried wheel weight alloy and 20-1 alloy. If anything, 20-1 is more accurate. The interesting thing to note in the pictures below of expanded bullets is that the crimp groove entirely collapses. I've tried the typical magnum powders, H110 and AA #9. Best accuracy with the heavy bullets is with Blue dot, by a pretty good margin. Both consistency over the chronograph, and group size is better. AA #9 seems to be better with the lighter bullets, but seems erratic with heavy bullets. H110 is always a good choice, and can get over 1300 fps with these bullets coming out just under 150 grains. That's a lot of thump from a 5" barrel. Still, I've loaded up to 6.9 grains of Blue dot, which goes about 1165 fps with a hollow point version, and the primers are still rounded. I'll keep loading higher, but I'm already impressed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0913181207.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	227074

Accuracy is as good or better than normal, at least for me. Many on here are much better shots than me, but trust me, the following targets are very good shooting for me. Both were hollow pointed with a cavity .100" deep. Shooting done on a very windy day off a paper towel roll for an arm rest, at 48 measured yards. Those are real world results, not bench rest.

Name:	0913181314.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	227071

Name:	0913181313.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	227072

Testing expansion so far has been done in both mud/clay and water. One day I tested a whole bunch in a 4 foot long tote I filled with water, and that works great. I have been using the Forester hollow pointing tool in my case trimmer with an 1/8" drill bit. The following bullets are from left to right: 150 grain with .050" deep HP (cup point), 150 grain with .200" deep HP (actual weight about 144 grain), and 120 grain SWC no HP but run about 1500 fps. All were cast of 20-1 alloy, and shot from 15 yards. That middle bullet sure looks nice, that's a text book mushroom with almost no weight lost. That wouldn't be a bad choice, but I do want to err on the side of penetration. I am certain this combo will be deadly for whitetail, but we are still talking a relatively low velocity bullet of only 144 grains. The far left bullet doesn't look impressive, but now has a flat nose of about .33", about a WFN 44 caliber bullet. That 120 grain SWC wouldn't be a bad choice either, that bullet is another Accurate, not designed by me, 31-120K.

Name:	0913181315a.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	227073

My next testing will be with cavities .100" deep, which I think will be the sweet spot, and will also try .200" again, but this time in a Paul Harrell style meat target. Pictures to follow.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 09-13-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have run a MiHec mould 120 grain HP with deep pins from my S&W model 16 the bullet penetrated over 18" and the channel and disruption of the water soaked new print was on par with a 45ACP 230 Grain HST SD ammo. The Wad cutter drove deep to 18" inches. Just giving you some comparative Information. If remember the velocity 10' from the gun was 1200 FPS.

Boolit Grand Master

Can you give more details? Surely that's not a 32 long, and that's a stout load even for the 32 h&r. On par with a good 45 acp load is impressive.

Boolit Grand Master

Still haven't shot into any real meat. The meat market didn't have any leftover ribs at the time, but I'm starting to think it would be a waste. I've since shot these into mud, wet newspaper, even a log. They all produce about the same expansion. Water was slightly more dramatic, but I'm convinced these will work just fine on deer.

I battled bad leading as I tried to push the limits. I found the best combo is a Sage .303 (extra tall) gas check, lubed with canaruba red, and finally a thin coat of Lee Alox. Cast of 20-1, I think that as pressure went higher, it was just too much. I suspect the nose of the bullet was obturating so hard, as to deposit lead. Once that starts, it gets bad fast. I found that Alox works wonders, and I can run pressures to where it just starts to flatten primers. My load is 7.4 grains Bluedot, for 1220 FPS at 40 degrees F. I settled on a .150" deep hollow point with a 1/8" drill bit, which brings the bullet weight to about 144 grains. After 25 rounds, there was minimal leading. I'll practice once more. Then a very good cleaning, followed by 7 shots to foul the bore (7 shot cylinder). Then I'll be ready for opener.

Boolit Grand Master
    try powder coating
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    try powder coating
    No sir, alox works just fine.

Boolit Grand Master

I had one of the craziest days. Took today off with the hopes of a deer before everything freezes, and ending the duck season. Im very happy to say I got my first handgun deer, with the 327 federal, and an instincive shot no less. Drove up last night in a blizzard. I woke up to 3" of snow, 9 degrees F, with 35 mph wind gusts. After layering all the clothes i could fit, even got a blanket, it was still cold. I managed to sit until noon. As i was walking back, a fork buck stood up 10 yards away. Im still not sure what happened, but second nature took over. I drew the gun, and shot it. Somehow i had the mind to pull my glove off, draw from my hip under 3 layers of clothes, and made a letal shot before the buck even knew what i was. It was a head on shot, i remember putting the sights on the white patch of the chest. The deer folded up. I walked up to it, and thought i saw its chest moving, so i put one more in the brain. I gutted the deer, no bullet got into the chest. I cant find any extra holes in the skull. All i can figure is i hit a little high, and hit in the neck. No entrance hole found yet. I really hope i can recover that bullet. More to come.

Boolit Master
    very nice and congrats on the deer,i haven't tried the 327 yet but as far as the gp100 its a great gun I have one in 357

Boolit Man
    I will be following this with interest. I have a 4" sp101, not legal in Ohio for deer, but I can use it on anything else.
    Blue dot is my favorite accuracy powder for my 357s as well.

Boolit Grand Master

So after a couple hours of searching, I never did find the bullet. A family member wanted the meat, so he tagged it. That's fine, we have two deer between my dad, my uncle, and myself. Two weeks is too short a season for me, I love the muzzle loader season, so I will be doing that.

The shot on the deer seemed so clear in my mind, but the results tell something different. I believe I see three holes in the head of the deer. One is the entrance to the second shot, and on the other side the exit. As best as I can tell, at the shot the deer had put his head down, possibly to run, and I ended up sending a bullet right between his eyes, and straight down his neck. There is no exit, so the bullet is in his neck somewhere. The family member said he will keep an eye out for it when butchering. Kind of disappointing, I got my first deer with a handgun, but it's not proof on how my bullet will perform. I guess I'll have to do it again next year.

Boolit Master

Glad it worked out! Got any pics?

Boolit Grand Master

Not really, just a dark picture of the deer hanging. If the bullet is found, I will absolutely post pictures. Chances are it will look just like the rest of the bullets I have recovered.