RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Volkswagen Jetta TDI

Banned
    Petrol & Powder,

Cleared out some space. - You may RESEND our PM now.

yours, tex

Boolit Grand Master

The latter Jetta's have a bad reputation and I would not go near one. A girlfriend of mine had a much earlier model and it was a tank. Almost 400k on it and the doors still thunked when you closed them. I tried to talk her into keeping it but she was dead set on a Honda Civic which is a good choice but I wanted to see how much that old Jetta would go. 15yrs later I bet it's still on the road.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

bottom line on diesel engines, get the best fuel you can, use fuel additive with every tank, change the oil and filter as recommended by manufacturer, change fuel filter as required. I worked on vw's back when they were air cooled engines, had a '13 jetta tdi 6spd manual let it go back with the buy back because it was due for the 100,000 mile work and needed tires, I am sure it would still be running if I had kept it. Now I have a '15 touareg and I asked some owners of this model if they had any issues, most said yea they drive them to much, others just said they would not give them up. One person has way past 100,000 and still won't give it up and yes it is a diesel. So the bottom line is buy a vw diesel if you want just check things out good, buy a Mercedes if you want but again check things out real good. How long will my current vw diesel last not sure but I am racking the miles on it, have over 1500 and I have not had it a month yet. My vw dealer has been good to me when I had the jetta and was upset to see me give it back and was pleased when I bought my current vw diesel and we have had some technology issues already that they took care of for me. I really think it matters just how much your dealer if you buy from a dealer just how much they really care about the customer. Oh I have only been driving diesels for 38 years so I am still learning how they work and what to do with them. My other vehicle is a ford F250 that I have had for 13 going on 14 years and yes they told that diesel engine was a piece of junk also but guess what now they are saying what a good diesel engine that is compared to the newer ones. Don't believe everything people say about diesels and those who make them. People said the chevy cruz was a bad engine but chevy is still making them and even offering more small diesel vehicles so if they are no good why are they still selling them.
    VW didn't get kicked to the curb because of EPA it was the FTC that got them for false adds about their diesel engines. Also it didn't even cost vw one years profits to buy back the diesels and now they are selling them again those that can be fixed. I don't think you will see anything before 2014 being sold as before that they were not using def in the diesels and those that didn't have it are costly to reto. If it had high mileage it went to the junk yard. Jetta tdi before 2015 most likely will not be seen unless they had low miles. the others were using def starting in 2014 and definitely by 2015. I will go back to sleep now.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Thanks for all of the comments, it has been an interesting thread. I have a couple diesels too. One is an '80s Toro lawn mower with a three cylinder. It has been great with no trouble. And the other is a Ford with a 6.0 power stroke, it has been good as well with out any major issues. I had a '87 F250 diesel, it kept running but the chassis went south.

I did get a car, based on what I gathered I shied away from VW and got a Mitsubishi Lancer. It's a SE with a manual transmission. '14 with 49,000 miles for $7700. It still has warranty and the 2.0L 4B11 DOHC engine has a timing chain instead of a belt so hopefully some of the maintenance won't be as spendy. Trouble with this Lancer is that I'll be tempted with all the after market performance stuff that is out there.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123