Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Rifle Sight?

Boolit Master
    I have a Marlin 1895 that I set up with a Marbles tang sight, it is accurate but awkward and uncomfortable not to mention delicate. I ended up with a Williams peep that I liked much better. My eyes went also so I put a scope on it. I got new glasses last week but don't know how it will work out yet.

Texas, I have a high power scope on my 336A to work out loads. As soon as I get that done I have a K6 for it. Some rifles just look right with a blue steel Weaver.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

I am a big fan of receiver sights. They help but depending on your eyes they may not work for you. Red dots tend to work for everyone but for hunting I prefer scopes.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-24-2018 at 01:23 AM.

I too prefer reciver sights on my deer rifles. I think a reciever sight in relation to front sight must be
    on individual bases on height of front sight. I have 4 Marlins with Lyman 66s. I did change sights but
    not because of height. The 39 and 94 both have ramps and were ok with stock fronts & Lyman 66.
    My 1895 is the rifle and has sight dovetailed into barrel , as does my Marauder 336. My Lyman 66s
    are the older steel models, do the new ones have a thicker beam that causes from sight to be higher? I have 2 turn of century Marlins a 97 & 94 rifle that I have tangs for but don't mount them
    because I don't like them for hunting. I have reciver sights on several other rifles too. I recently got
    a 99 Savage in 250/3000, 1950 manufacture. I have a couple tangs for 99s but am looking for a
    reciever sight for it. I have never owned 99 with reciever sights and want something that isn't bulky.
    Rifle tang is factory tapped for tang and is D&T for scope bases. I don't know what to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Skinners are great, well made peeps, but a vintage Redfield is the best of both worlds, looks and function.
    I'm picking up what you're laying down.
    I just got two!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Lyman 66LA I took off the 36G is an all steel one but I don't think it's real old. I went with a taller dovetail front sight and was still too high at 100 yds. I think it must be meant for the 336 with its ramp front sight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

ive like receiver sights. Ive got a number of Williams and lymans. Like the all steal lymans better but the Williams do the job too.

Boolit Master
    Our range is an old railway tunnel .I can't see the front sight with peep or open sights ,out in the day light no problem so I use scopes on all my rifles .my new favourite is a Nikon 2-7 32 on my slb marlin ,not too bulky and a great crisp clear view

Boolit Master

I really wonder how good these would be. Peeps don't work for me anymore.

https://seeallopensight.com/
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Peeps work and the Williams 5D series are reasonably priced. I have them on my Marlin 1895 GS as back ups to the Leupold 2.5x Scout scope. Yeah they look like hell but once you get used to it the Scout scope system works really well, and it opens up the first and last half hour of legal shooting time when Irons and Peeps are just not visible.

If you go SeeAll, get the triangle reticle. They work good, a lens that focuses on a reticle so head position has no effect but magnifying glasses mess with it. Also no trajectory marks like a scope. No problem making small groups @ 50 with BO pistol. Works good at dusk, took it on a pig hunt and it worked when I could barely see where I was walking. I changed to reflex on the pistol for pigs, they move too fast as I found out - 5 hinney shots, hit it but no pig. I like mine but it doesn't fit my intended use so it's on the shelf. Some have indicated they need a high riser to get them to work by it was OK on my 336. Don't have the SeeAllNite version that uses tritium to illuminate the reticle.
    Last edited by popper; 11-01-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Marbles tang mounted peep sights work for me. They come with 3 apertures. I have them mounted on a Marlin 39A, Winchester 92, and a Rossi 92.

Banned
    I have aging eyes and I have recently swapped out the Skinner peeps on my 1894CS and went back to the stock sights.

At this stage they seem to work better for me.

Steve in N CA

In Remembrance

The 2 bits of advice I would pass along are as follows. With any good peep sight - remove the aperature screw in disc. Your eye will automatically center the front sight and you will see it better. As far as not wanting a scope, find a very low power shotgun scope of 1 or 1 1/2 or 2X for quick eye acquiring.Robert

Vortex had a 1x scope that worked in the house. I put it on an AR for HD and got talked out of it, thinking I'd get another. Discontinued!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12