Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Rifle Sight?

Boolit Master

Best Rifle Sight?

Yesterday I was going to test some loads for my Marlin 336 that received a caliber change last year to a 38-55.
    I realised that my eyes have changed over the last few months and I have a hard time focusing on target, front sight and rear sight. I put on a low power Redfield scope and was left with no time for shooting.
    I don't really want a scope on this rifle for hunting but would prefer open sights for compactness and maneuverability.

So, my question is this to those of you who have found themselves in my position; What's a good alternative?
    Peep sights or reflex dot sight?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

My preference is for receiver mounted aperture sights. I don't like tang sights as they interfere with comfortable use and carry of the rifle. Receiver mounted aperture sights are also safer, as they are not in close proximity to the eyes. With my better rifles I can shoot MOA with aperture sights. There are many varieties, all good. Prices run from under $40 for a Williams Guide, to much more.

Having several apertures that you can swap in helps. When it is bright go smaller, when gloomy larger is better. There are also adjustable apertures available, in particular by Merit.

Boolit Master

I went to the peep sight to help focus.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I have been having the same issue... put some peeps on rifles, but cannot afford to put on all... I had my optometrist help me with bow sight and changed my distance setting on progressive lens to help... something I just tried at home for free... saw an ad for EyePal.... simple disc with small hole that acts as peep...I took a piece of black tape and put a small hole in it and placed in position for using mounted rifle... and was very impressed at how my front, back, and target came into focus... it is worth trying... google EyePal and there are some video's... I ended up and ordered a combo set(rifle and bow/pistol)
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

I have the same problem only worse. I can no longer use peep sights to help clear things up.
    In my case, optical sights are the only cure.
    Low power scopes work as they allow a fast acquisition of the target and still give a good aiming point.
    The reflex dot is problematic for me. I sometimes have issues getting it to show up properly for me or the dot is just too large. There is also the battery issue. If a battery is going to fail, it will do it at the worst possible time.

Boolit Master
    If I am 'woods bumming', I carry a rifle with a peep/receiver sight. My wife and I can both hit a well-lit 8" red square with them from a solid field position at 200 yards. If I am carrying a rifle to kill something, it will wear a scope, the advantages in the field far out weigh the slight carrying inconvenience. The early morning, late day, bad light issues and finding that 10" hole through the timber at 60 yards to put down a bull elk or buck muley make the advantages worth the 'inconvenience'. I can think of multiple times where the light kept me from shooting with peep/open sights so unless it is raining or snowing hard I carry a scoped rifle. Down to about 15 feet I've had no trouble finding game in a scope set on 3x.

Boolit Master
    I forget, my wife and I are closer to 70 than 65 years old.

Boolit Grand Master

I shopped eBay for reciever sights for my 336. Have a scope on my 36G. Out to 100 yds with an adequate target I don't see a huge amount of difference, but I'm just beginning on this vision thing. Opthomologist told me my left eye cannot be corrected beyond 20/30. Cataracts on both eyes, the left worse than the right.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

My old eyes prefer tang peeps and lyman globe inserts up front.
    T

Boolit Master
    Skinner peeps with their brass front sight, and you gotta get the right height front sight, but once you do...look out!

Boolit Master
    I put a set of Skinners(complete with orange fiber optic front sight) on a Henry Big Boy... haven't been able to try it out due to my wife's illness and recent passing... plan on getting back to shooting once I can get a better grip on my situation. But, going back to post, the Skinner looks like it should be a great hunting sight.
    Last edited by Themoose; 09-13-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

I prefer receiver sights on lever actions with a bead front. I use binocs for spotting and judging antler spread. The Lyman I bought from a member here is so much nicer than the Williams- I'm looking for one to fit the Win/Jes 38-55! That's my 36G 30-30 with the Lyman 66LA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Properly mounted scout scope (1.5X Burris) works for me as does the low mounted regular scope (2.5X Weaver). The M94 Carbine also has a Lyman receiver sight on it.

Attachment 227069Attachment 227068
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    My 50" s vintage Marlin waffle top was D+T by original owner so it was no problem putting a Leupold 4 power on it . The fact is once Jesse did ihis thing transforming it into a 38-55 from a 30-30 it tend "s to interest me .So much that tomorrow it is going to tuned in again ,cause I can

Quote Originally Posted by Themoose View Post
    I have been having the same issue... put some peeps on rifles, but cannot afford to put on all... I had my optometrist help me with bow sight and changed my distance setting on progressive lens to help... something I just tried at home for free... saw an ad for EyePal.... simple disc with small hole that acts as peep...I took a piece of black tape and put a small hole in it and placed in position for using mounted rifle... and was very impressed at how my front, back, and target came into focus... it is worth trying... google EyePal and there are some video's... I ended up and ordered a combo set(rifle and bow/pistol)
    Just put hole in a business card and held it up over my right eye of my glasses and dang if it doesn't clear everything up when it gets into the right position. The rear sight is usually so blurry I can barely see it. The rear sight was focused along with the front sight and what I was aiming at. I think I am going to order that Eyepal and give it a try.

Boolit Master

i have rigged up a couple of my 22 remingtons ( the 521 and the 514 ) with a red fire sight front site with an aperature rear sight and find it works pretty well. I put a 3 to 9 scope on my 513 and made it into a varmint rifle for when the raccoons get into the chickens.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master
    Same / same as you guys with the aging eyes. More & more I rely on scopes for good shooting. I have a couple red dots, too. My buddy has a red dot on his T/C Scout rifle and it is one of his more prolific meat makers.

Boolit Master
    I have fixed focus lenses in both eyes (cataract surgery). I can see great at distance but everything close to the rifle is fuzzy. I use peep sights and then a globe sight or something similar on the front. That way I look through two holes and the target is crisp and clear. Did you know that the head of a 45 cal pistol case makes a great peep sight? The flash hole is just the right size. My 32WS Win 94, Lee Enfield and Argentine Mauser all have custom home-made sights that I built just so I could match them to what my eyes can handle.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I have since discovered that my Lyman Model 66 receiver sight will not work with the Marlin 36g dovetail front sight unless I purchase and obscenely tall one. Since this Marlin is so accurate, I have decided to scope it. Luckily I have a weaver K4 with a post recticle that works perfectly for this purpose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Skinners are great, well made peeps, but a vintage Redfield is the best of both worlds, looks and function.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast