WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: Reloading .410 with a regular press?

Reloading .410 with a regular press?

Are dies made by anyone for this purpose? It seems feasible but maybe not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have seen specialty dies for 410. I forget the names of the companies, but they weren't one of the
    big ones and they are expensive. Why RCBS doesn't make them is beyond me. Unlike the 12g sets
    they would be able to screw in press just like 45/70 ect. With all the handguns being made to use
    410s you would think a market exists.

Boolit Master
    Use 444 Marlin brass for 410 reloading. I use 444?Marlin for making shot she'll for my S&W Govonor pistol. Have reloaded several times wit out needing to resize. There is lot of info on this site on using 444 Marlin brass for shot shells. I got all of the info for the process off of this web site

I was thinking a sizing/recapping die and a crimp die and maybe a wad seating die. It would probably be cheaper to find a used Mec 600 or some such.

Boolit Master
    I found I could pick up a Mec to load 410 shells , for what a lee loader in good shape for the 410 were going for . Before picking up the Mec I just punched out the primer reloaded the hull and used a Mec crimper by hand to crimp , it was slow - but a box or so was possible .

It would probably be cheaper to find a used Mec 600 or some such.
    Yeah, the last one I got was free. See them often for $50-70, that less that some of the “special” RCBS dies.

Boolit Master
    I am with you. Often I look at my press and wonder why no .410 die sets!!!

Banned

CH4D makes them for brass

Boolit Master

Been looking at this for a while now, if you want a loader: http://lane371.dotster.com/410.html
    want to do brass http://www.grantcunningham.com/2014/...10-shotshells/
    444 Marlin brass works great.
    Here is what I did/do. I got a Lyman M die or you can buy a http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...a4mqin57tft140 from NOE and a Lee universal flare die.
    decap with a spare decapping rod. Reprime with 2 magnetic bit holders. Load with current components and crimp with a Mec 410 crimp starter. Finish with the Lyman M die for a 444 Marlin or the NOE/Lee die and the Lee 7.62x54R shell holder puts a fantastic crimp and makes a great 410 round.
    I've been looking at a Mec for some time and you have two options. Buy a cheap 12guage $50 press and buy a $90 upgrade kit for the 410 or spend about $150 on e-bay for a used one. They go really fast on e-bay and pricing gets out of had sometimes. That's why I searched out for other options. You can just make a homemade kit https://beforeitsnews.com/v3/self-su...3/2463934.html
    Hope that helps. I would really like to see Lee make a upgrade kit to there presses. From what I understand there is a huge challenge with the powder system for such a small load. Don't know about that, there are some smart people that should be able to put that togther.

Boolit Master
    Lanes seems to be out of business. I ordered a .410 set in March. No word by June. Called and left message twice on voice mail that said for lanes reloading. Emailed twice. No response. Called pay pal in August. Got my money back Sept. 1st.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Lanes seems to be out of business. I ordered a .410 set in March. No word by June. Called and left message twice on voice mail that said for lanes reloading. Emailed twice. No response. Called pay pal in August. Got my money back Sept. 1st.
    Wow,
    Didn't know that. Sorry about that. The Lyman die works like a charm.

I posted this some time back. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=flashhole

I use a wood dowel attached to a ball handle as a plunger for seating the over powder card, wads and over shot card if needed.

I chuck hulls in a Lee 3-Jaw chuck in a drill press and use a single edge razor blade in a fixture to trim the hulls to length. A drop or two of glue holds the over shot card in place.

Works great for 410 reloads.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    I have a set that I bought at a gun show. They appear to be 444 Marlin dies with a machined plug in the seater die. The final step is a roll over crimp die. I've only been loading brass for my wife's Judge and my boys' shotguns.
    I know the Lee loader sets are commanding a premium now for some reason, but there is a seller on eBay that's marketing his own version that looks good, for a lot less money.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    I posted this some time back. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=flashhole

I use a wood dowel attached to a ball handle as a plunger for seating the over powder card, wads and over shot card if needed.

I chuck hulls in a Lee 3-Jaw chuck in a drill press and use a single edge razor blade in a fixture to trim the hulls to length. A drop or two of glue holds the over shot card in place.

Works great for 410 reloads.
    Love the idea, thanks.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    RCBS and Huntington Die Specialties used to make a die set for .44-40 Long Shot, which I use to load .44 Game Getter rounds using Starline 5 in 1 Blank cases.

To load longer .410s use the Magtech brass shells, size in a .444 Marlin die, use a decapping rod without pin, with .38 buttom on it as a wad seater. Make a roll crimper using a .308 Win seater and adjusting the bullet seating punch down to the approximate mid-point of the shoulder, and then bumping the case mouth of the .410 case against the shoulder of the die to form the roll crimp while the adjusted seating punch holds the overshot wad in position to crimp.

Makes a nice looking shell with professionaly finished appearance.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I think 10 Ring is still making a 410 loading set. Somewhere in the range of $65.00 if my memory is correct. james

I bought one of the Survival Loaders in 410 that are being sold on Ebay everything about it but the final crimp works great. Too bad that all you need to build good looking 410 shells is a good final crimp all the other steps can be easily accomplished with common bench items. Finally found a new old stock Versamec and bought the 410 conversion from BPI. Things go much smoother now. As a side note I cut a .800 length of one inch wooden dowel and drilled the center out to fit over the base of the hulls. With the hulls wearing this ring in the two crimp stations it helps a lot to prevent hull collapse for the three inchers. Gp

Boolit Master
    I have been watching for any decent deal on a .410 loader for several years. I have found many 12s and 20 ga deals but nothing in .410.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Yeah, the last one I got was free. See them often for $50-70, that less that some of the “special” RCBS dies.
    No more new RCBS Spacial Dies as per RCBS