Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Clean out the cupboard ham curry

Clean out the cupboard ham curry

I was just trying to use up everything we had, including some ham that would not last much longer. I invented this recipe out of what we had on the shelf, and it was good enough to write it down.

Ham Curry

1 c diced ham
    2 stalks celery sliced diagonally
    ½ c onion diced
    2 T Butter
    1 can Cream of mushroom soup
    ¼ c Water
    ½ t curry powder
    1 sm can mushrooms, drained
    ¼ cup sour cream
    ¼ t salt

Sauté celery and onion in butter until tender/crisp. Add ham and mushrooms and heat through. Mix together soup, sour cream, water, salt, and curry powder. Add to meat mixture and stir; heat through. Serve over rice or chow mein noodles.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Sounds good. I've copied your recipe and will give it a try! Thanks for sharing ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Curry is one of my favorite ways to clean out, but I use closer to 1/4 cup of curry powder! Some peanut butter and/or coconut milk mixed in is great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    Sounds good. I've copied your recipe and will give it a try! Thanks for sharing ...
    I visited Victoria in my youth; I expect there are some Asian Indians there nowadays, with their own curry. Great place, by the way. I wish other North Americans were that hospitable.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Curry is one of my favorite ways to clean out, but I use closer to 1/4 cup of curry powder! Some peanut butter and/or coconut milk mixed in is great as well.
    I like the coconut milk too. I have used it with prepared Thai curry.

Wayne

Made it last night and it was good, but I think I went a bit too light on the curry so tonight when I reheat the leftovers I'll add a bit more. I think I'll also add a tin of pineapple chunks (my wife's suggestion) since we've used that in chicken curries before. I also add some raisins and sliced almonds and we have a bit of mango chutney on the side.

Yes, Victoria is a very nice place to live. When my Dad was a very young man he came over from England on an immigration program. He landed on the East coast and worked his way West over several years. As soon as he made it to BC he decided that it was definitely the place where he wanted to stay. He loved the Okanagan area in particular and he worked for several years in the fruit orchards picking fruit and acting as the "camp cook" to the rest of the fruit picking crews and then spent his winters in Victoria which is where me met my mother. After they married in 1947 they lived here in Victoria for the rest of their lives. Both my brother and I were born and raised here and stayed as well. Victoria and the rest of Vancouver Island are just a lovely little bit of Paradise and it's a very popular retirement area ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

My Pop ... the fruit orchard crew camp cook, with a plate of freshly made donuts and a pie ...

So in the end I added a can of coconut milk, a can of drained pineapple chunks, some more ham, and some more curry powder ...

I let it simmer for about an hour to blend everything and I must admit that last night we enjoyed it over rice and it tasted even better than the night before. (And there are just enough leftovers to finish it up for dinner tonight!)