Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bees....again

Boolit Grand Master

For ground wasps, if you find the hole, simply put a glass bowl over the hole at night and they will fly up and not be able to get out, but because they can see the sky they won't dig another escape hole. I did it, it works. Just have to leave it until no more try to fly out.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Another way, if you can find the hole. Wait till after dark when they are all in and pour a kettle of boiling water down the hole and cover it. Never had it fail yet.
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

I was using brake cleaner on the wood boring bees. Hit them on the fly and they fly a ways and then pitch over and fall to earth dead as a door nail.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I was using brake cleaner on the wood boring bees. Hit them on the fly and they fly a ways and then pitch over and fall to earth dead as a door nail.
    Ordinary 90% rubbing alcohol works just as well. I've kept a spray bottle handy for this purpose for many years now. Lots cheaper than Bra-Kleen.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Guys, you're missing the point. Much more sporting with the bee loads./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

YOU try hitting a wasp or bee in the air with a squirt gun ! I get about one in ten. ('course I cheat and nail 'em when they land.)
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    uscra112, Beagle is using 38 Special shot loads, a bit easier but still sporting

ants

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Haven't had to worry about bees / wasps much since we moved to Fl. Wish there was a sure-fire way to get rid of fire ants.
    I use Permethrin 36.8%SFR mixed at .05% in a pump up sprayer with the nozzle straight stream and spray back and forth across the mound. At one point the top of the mound caves in, that is where you shove the nozzle downward until it stops , pull back a little and shove in a different direction all with the nozzle full blast. With a gallon of mixture eight or ten mounds can be killed out. Do research on the above name on Internet or EBay to get best price. . Now to our "Bees again" the op talked about. We had a hole in the ground near my anvil. I stood about twelve feet away and with a straight stream directed it on and around the hole. I suppose they did not know where the danger was coming from. The returning hornets kept going into the hole as before. Next day several were lying at the mouth of the hole. Done deal, no more hornets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Ordinary 90% rubbing alcohol works just as well. I've kept a spray bottle handy for this purpose for many years now. Lots cheaper than Bra-Kleen.
    That alcohol and a lighter in front of the sprayer works very well.

Boolit Grand Master

You all be sure and kill all the bee's because them pesky pollinators ain't good for nothing... But after they are all dead and gone I don't want to hear any complaints abot food not growing...none !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    You all be sure and kill all the bee's because them pesky pollinators ain't good for nothing... But after they are all dead and gone I don't want to hear any complaints abot food not growing...none !
    These are not honey bees that pollinate flowers. Here is a link so you will know what is being discussed. I found it rather interesting and am glad I don't have that problem.

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef611.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Moderator Emeritus

Many ground dwelling bees/wasps are beneficial pollinators, specifically if they are one variety of the many, many varieties of Bumble Bees, some of which are ground dwelling. In fact, I have had a couple Bumble Bee nests in my yard over the years, they usually only stick around for 3 or 4 months..and are fun to watch when my gooseberry bush is blooming...they also hit the Raspberry blooms pretty hard as well. Anyway, myself, I wouldn't kill any, unless they were a nuisance.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 12-12-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I have some ground bees that showed up in the spring for the first time. I processed some cruddy beeswax my father in law got me and scraped the bottom of the cake into my wifes flower bed (seemed like a good idea at the time). When it warmed up we had bees from all over getting the flakes and a colony of ground bees moved in and spent the summer. Swambo wanted them sprayed so I said yes dear and got my trusty pump sprayer and really gave it to them.....with straight water. Told her later the spray I had would not work but I would keep trying. Not sure if they will be back but if they can put up with getting flooded every two days by the sprinklers then they are welcome here.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

That nuisance factor really builds fast as you are getting stung by big red wasps as you walk from the house to the shop on two consecutive days or the ground dwelling hornets too close to the gate of the chicken pen. LOL And I like to watch as the bumble bees and other wasps are pollinating the pepper plants and the rest of the garden plants.

Boolit Master
    44 mag homemade shotshells with no 12 shot is much more sporting than a spraycan

Boolit Buddy

Saw my first carpenter bee Saturday. Loaded walnut media shells and ready for those suckers. Even sent couple hundred 357 mag loads to Texas with my nephew to use on them since they moved out in the country. Have fun, good hunting and shooting.

Boolit Master
    When I lived in Eufaula I had carpenter bees making holes in the back deck cover beams. I'd use a pellet rifle and sneak up on them as they landed and blow them apart with a blast of air. In the evening when they would go into their holes in the beams I'd get the caulking gun and pump the hole full. They never came back out...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Carpenter bee season is just upon us here..... Me and the 12yo daughter have not yet brought out the C&B revolvers for a good shoot, but I'm certain we will soon. Dastardly things eat my entire house.....and we just can't have that. And...of course, watching your daughter blast them with a Colt Walker loaded with dry rice is most satisfying as well!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 Ruger Montados in 45 Colt. Load very light load of fast powder, wad fill with dry rice, glue a wad on to close. Makes a great way to spend the day shooting wood bees working on my wood work!!

Safety glasses required, rice bounces off the house.

Used this to introduce a non shooter and a young one to pistols. They laughed the whole time.

Don

Here's a great video:

Only for the fact that he makes his own napalm.

The next video I'll look for is where someone makes his own fast breeder reactor to nuke 'em.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast