Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bees....again

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Don't need a breeder reactor, just a hot Cobalt source (And to be nuts enough to get NEAR the stuff!) I'd use molten Aluminum, for ground nests, that'd fix 'em.

You musta seen the video. Molten aluminum makes some interesting art work.
    Cognitive Dissident

USMC 77, USRA 79

You guys need help...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Don't need a breeder reactor, just a hot Cobalt source (And to be nuts enough to get NEAR the stuff!) I'd use molten Aluminum, for ground nests, that'd fix 'em.

Agreed, cobalt is too rich a Gamma Source, but half a kilo of natural uranium should do the trick...
    If you have a steady source of running water you should also be able to harvest about a Megawatt
    from the steam generated...

Thought more on it and maybe the "Right" tool for the job would be a "Light Saber". LOL

Boolit Buddy
    Like a few other people I use "shotshells". I use clays in 357mag brass and card wads cut from a cereal box. I use grits for shot, learned that on this forum. Wont damage gutters and such, lots of fun, the wife just shakes her head.

Boolit Master

Speaking of bees. Was hanging a disk on the tractor this morning and a couple of wood bees are already out. Time to inventory my basic load for the spring season./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy

Had a pretty good shoot this afternoon, around 50 rounds fired, not all hits but it usually takes a few times to get up to speed, or I may just be getting slower with age.

Me and the kids had a good shoot this afternoon.... I did most of the loading, they did most of the shooting. Worked through a tin of caps....so a hundred or so downrange. Probably killed 30-40 or so. Good day!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

I like to catch the carpenter bees as they patrol their territory. They will often stop and hover as they guard their turf. Grab the old Red Rider BB gun and pop them in mid-air. My grand-daughter just loves to pop them bees.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I guess I'm a bit "off season" but...
    We had a problem with ground bees in one part of the yard a few years ago (before I heard all the great ideas here.) There were hundreds of them, maybe thousands. They had a network of ground holes. When a couple holes were bored into veranda beams, that was too much.
    Bug sprays were ineffective...no point going after them one by one at that pace.

So, I grabbed my propane tank and torch. Just set up a couple feet away. They got all excited just by being there. I could just fan the air wherever a bunch were flying and they'd curl up mid air, as they turned to crunchy little curled up balls, and fell to the ground dead.
    There were so many piled up, I could rake them up.
    After a couple days, they were all gone.
    They came back two more years. I procrastinated a bit the second year. But, it still worked well.
    The third year, I was ready. Got them all a day or so after they appeared.
    That did the trick. No more have been here in maybe 8 yrs or so.

Friend gets "wood bees" up this way, they bore into house siding and keep boring holes...

He puts a "tired" shopvac so it's next to the hole, then runs it 3/4 of the time or so (too long on and they get suspicious at the losses.) Seems to solve his bee problem. Not as sporting, but inside city limits you can't do certain things, some claim :P

I've tried loading uncooked rice in shells for carpender bees. It seems to do the job if I can get in range.
    NRA Life Member
    member South County Rod & Gun Club

Boolit Master
    I make coffee every morning.
    I dump the grounds on newspaper and they are dried out by the next day.
    I save them up in an empty coffee can and use them for my shot loads.
    They blast the carpenter bees and wasps and unlike the loads that use grits and rice, don't leave bits of food to feed other bugs.
    It just so happens that coffee is repellent to roaches, ants, termites, wasps and bees as well as flies.
    If you can believe the internet.

Boolit Master

As a lad in the South Texas border country, our favorite method against the ubiquitous red ant beds was to equip with a BB gun, handful of the old red top kitchen matches and a 6 ounce Coke bottle of gasoline. Couple of ounces of gas down the ant hole, then load a match into the BB gun and let fly. The match heads would pop upon impact and light the gas. So, lawless shooting and arson in one go!

Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    I guess I'm a bit "off season" but...
    We had a problem with ground bees in one part of the yard a few years ago (before I heard all the great ideas here.) There were hundreds of them, maybe thousands. They had a network of ground holes. When a couple holes were bored into veranda beams, that was too much.
    Bug sprays were ineffective...no point going after them one by one at that pace.

So, I grabbed my propane tank and torch. Just set up a couple feet away. They got all excited just by being there. I could just fan the air wherever a bunch were flying and they'd curl up mid air, as they turned to crunchy little curled up balls, and fell to the ground dead.
    There were so many piled up, I could rake them up.
    After a couple days, they were all gone.
    They came back two more years. I procrastinated a bit the second year. But, it still worked well.
    The third year, I was ready. Got them all a day or so after they appeared.
    That did the trick. No more have been here in maybe 8 yrs or so.
    Once upon a time, I worked at a marina. We had a spark ignition propane gun with a wide 6" nozzle for shrink wrapping boats. I wonder how that would do? I had a think about ground yellow jackets (I'm allergic) which used to make nests in the horse trails. Me and my horse got stung on too many occasions.
    NRA Life Member
    member South County Rod & Gun Club

Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    I make coffee every morning.
    I dump the grounds on newspaper and they are dried out by the next day.
    I save them up in an empty coffee can and use them for my shot loads.
    They blast the carpenter bees and wasps and unlike the loads that use grits and rice, don't leave bits of food to feed other bugs.
    It just so happens that coffee is repellent to roaches, ants, termites, wasps and bees as well as flies.
    If you can believe the internet.
    I guess that's why I never learned to drink the vile stuff.......
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

That works on yellow jackets. As a kid, we'd take a 1/5th bottle filled with gas. Set on ground in front of hole. Light a gas soaked rag and place next to hole. Take a hoe and dig about three licks to dig up nest. Haul buggy. Wait until the crowd gets to swarming good and shoot with shotgun. The resulting blast gives a napalm affect and instantly neutralizes all airborne participants and the nest. When it burns down, you can go in and dig the nest out and the residual flames get the remainder. Not for dry weather use.

For wasp nests, a 30/06 with a military blank is hard to beat. Back off about 18" and the nest and participants are vaporized./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    As a lad in the South Texas border country, our favorite method against the ubiquitous red ant beds was to equip with a BB gun, handful of the old red top kitchen matches and a 6 ounce Coke bottle of gasoline. Couple of ounces of gas down the ant hole, then load a match into the BB gun and let fly. The match heads would pop upon impact and light the gas. So, lawless shooting and arson in one go!
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Quote Originally Posted by rmcc View Post
    Another way, if you can find the hole. Wait till after dark when they are all in and pour a kettle of boiling water down the hole and cover it. Never had it fail yet.
    Done this with ants also .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Old Regular (or Ethel if you wanted the good stuff) gasoline was our method throw a small glass of it on the red and paper wasp nests that were on the house. It killed them on contact- no fire required and don’t smoke AROUND the house for a few days.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast