WidenersLee PrecisionStainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Graf & SonsTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Bees....again

  1. #1
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Perryville, Ky,USA
    Posts
    3,872

    Bees....again

    Thought the season for wood bees was over so I reworked the brass and put it up for the season. Monday I was mowing and noticed several bumble bees around the base of one of my trees. Pulled the zero turn over the hole and that stirred them up.
    Had work to do so I put that thought on the back burner until today. Grabbed my Blackhawk and 27 left over loads and a folding chair and set up my "stand". They came in hot and heavy. Got 25 out of the 27 rounds and they were still piling in.
    Went to my shop and loaded 50 more figuring surely this would be enough. Went out just as the sun was setting and blasted 50 rounds more and they were still coming in.
    Now, I've killed, I know, 65 of the little rascals. I just wonder how many are in that nest.
    I loaded 50 more rounds and tomorrow, I'll load another 100. Using the Blackhawk kind of makes me wish it was belt fed./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

  2. #2
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Baldwin Co, across bay from Mobile, AL
    Posts
    734
    Now that sounds like a LOTS of fun. What are you loading the BlackHawk with? This the .44 mag? Shot loads? #9 shot?

  3. #3
    Boolit Master mattw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    East Central Illinois
    Posts
    644
    In the old days... with real gasoline... pour 1/2 cup in and let it vaporize and throw a smoke at the hole. They came out like flaming popcorn. Very satisfying. Normally I would get stung by 2 or 3 of the monsters while mowing, cleared out of the area and let them settle down and then burn the **** things out.

  4. #4
    Boolit Master

    jcren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    South, Central Ok
    Posts
    1,644
    With wasp i had grest results using walnut polishing media for shot in a 38. Ulltra light 1.5 grain loads of bullseye wouldn't even hurt the paint on the house as long as you were more than 10 feet away. Hotter 2.5 grain loads would nicely obliterate them.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

  5. #5
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Baldwin Co, across bay from Mobile, AL
    Posts
    734
    I like the idea of walnut polishing media - you don't have to worry about where the shot are going. Shoot in any direction and no way it's going to get to house next door. I just might have to get me some walnut media and play with that in .38 brass. I thank you for the idea and info..... not sure my wife will thank you {g}

  6. #6
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    564
    I muzzle load a pump action Bee Bee gun with tumbling media for carpenter bees. They let me walk up real close to get the shot. It also works on the big nasty coconut spiders we get around here. Boy are those things fast, even seen one outrun a squirt of wasp spray, eek.

  7. #7
    Boolit Master waarp8nt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    F-N-Ham, IL
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    In the old days... with real gasoline... pour 1/2 cup in and let it vaporize and throw a smoke at the hole. They came out like flaming popcorn. Very satisfying. Normally I would get stung by 2 or 3 of the monsters while mowing, cleared out of the area and let them settle down and then burn the **** things out.
    ^^^ My Dad's preferred method as well.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

    Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

    Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

  8. #8
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    west Tn
    Posts
    168
    Was at the barn doing a welding job yesterday and the red wasp were out and about, mostly in my face, so had some diesel in a hand sprayer which works pretty good but doesn't sound[boom] or smell[gunpowder] quite right. Told my wife would need to take my .38 down to finish the job. Beagle those bumble bees that live underground really hurt when they sting.

  9. #9
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9
    I have a pine sided barn and have been plagued by those devils for years! It cost a fortune to try to use bee killer on them and it doesn't work. I bought a Braztech .410 and started loading light loads of #12 shot with brass cases and started having a blast! Started loading shotshells for a S&W 325 and a S&W 629. I hate tose buggers but it sure is fun wing shooting them.

  10. #10
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Perryville, Ky,USA
    Posts
    3,872
    .38 Special brass. Card wad over powder, fill case with the crushed shell tumbling medium and add card wad with a slight crimp to hold wad in. 3.0 grains of Bullseve./works great up to about 6 feet./beagle

    Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    Now that sounds like a LOTS of fun. What are you loading the BlackHawk with? This the .44 mag? Shot loads? #9 shot?
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

  11. #11
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Perryville, Ky,USA
    Posts
    3,872
    I know. I ran into them in the barn before and tried things with a piece of laminated flooring. A .38 Special is better and more sporting./beagle
    Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Was at the barn doing a welding job yesterday and the red wasp were out and about, mostly in my face, so had some diesel in a hand sprayer which works pretty good but doesn't sound[boom] or smell[gunpowder] quite right. Told my wife would need to take my .38 down to finish the job. Beagle those bumble bees that live underground really hurt when they sting.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

  12. #12
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Perryville, Ky,USA
    Posts
    3,872
    Grits work quite well too but not as good as the tumbling stuff. The crushed pecan shells have a higher density and a little more range./beagle

    Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    I like the idea of walnut polishing media - you don't have to worry about where the shot are going. Shoot in any direction and no way it's going to get to house next door. I just might have to get me some walnut media and play with that in .38 brass. I thank you for the idea and info..... not sure my wife will thank you {g}
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

  13. #13
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fl.
    Posts
    281
    Ground wasps, yellow jackets and the like are fair game as far as I'm concerned. I locate the nest exit hole & come back after dark (when they're all inside feeling safe) with a couple railroad flares and some rags. Light the flare & shove in the hole, then seal the hole with a rag. If the heat doesn't get them the fumes will.
    I try to avoid killing pollinating bees unless they pose a serious threat. They are real important to our food supply and are being wiped out fast enough without my help.

  14. #14
    Boolit Master mattw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    East Central Illinois
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Ground wasps, yellow jackets and the like are fair game as far as I'm concerned. I locate the nest exit hole & come back after dark (when they're all inside feeling safe) with a couple railroad flares and some rags. Light the flare & shove in the hole, then seal the hole with a rag. If the heat doesn't get them the fumes will.
    I try to avoid killing pollinating bees unless they pose a serious threat. They are real important to our food supply and are being wiped out fast enough without my help.
    Yup, would never hurt a normal bee! But those ground bees get really mad and OMG when they sting it hurts worse than any bug that has hit me... including a couple of brown recluse spiders when I was younger.

  15. #15
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fl.
    Posts
    281
    Haven't had to worry about bees / wasps much since we moved to Fl. Wish there was a sure-fire way to get rid of fire ants.

  16. #16
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    187
    used to make my own napalm - diesel fuel and tide detergent - pour it into the hole/tree stump in morning when they're sluggish, and light 'em up. great fun and very satisfying. and i thought i was the only one

  17. #17
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    west Tn
    Posts
    168
    Shot less than 50 bee killers at the wasp yesterday. Exactly what purpose do the paper wasp serve? Cannot think of a useful thing they do. Found a nest in my roll around tool box. May shoot some more today. Good hunting.

  18. #18
    Boolit Master


    mold maker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Piedmont (Conover) NC
    Posts
    5,243
    If nothing else, they teach us respect.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

  19. #19
    Boolit Master JMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Haven't had to worry about bees / wasps much since we moved to Fl. Wish there was a sure-fire way to get rid of fire ants.
    Ammonia poured in the nest works well to kill them including the queen.

  20. #20
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Pacific NorthWet
    Posts
    1,055
    Also if you sneak up at night (you want it COLD so they're immobile), on a ground nest with a crucible full of molten Aluminum, that'd do to knock the nest out. And you get a neat cast of the nest :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check