Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handloader #316 M1 Garand write up.

Boolit Master

Handloader #316 M1 Garand write up.

The title says it all.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Is there anything there we have not seen before? I cancelled both a while back.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    I cancelled both as well. They seemed to be getting more and more redundant.
    [

Boolit Master
    I also canceled tbem, but because every article seemed to be selling the latest greatest plastic wonder. Nice to see they may be getting back to writing about something interesting. Thanks for the headsup, got a bookstore down the road.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Timing of that issue is great. A group of friends and I were having an M1 and Mauser day at the range in the morning and I was thinking "I really should reload for the M1" and I get home to find the issue of Handloader in the mailbox. Must be a sign!

I still subscribe to that magazine, and do mostly agree that it isn't what it once was. However, John Barsness' article on the M-1 Garand, was well researched (typical of his writing) and did indeed cover new ground.

I still take that magazine and it was a decent article, all though not much new ground for some already loading for the M1. They still publish some interesting articles, just not as many as they once did. Brian Peirce still does some really good articles and I enjoy reading his stuff even if it's a rehash.

Boolit Master
    If you're truly concerned about the quality of the articles, let editors know what you think. Most editors are interested in readers' comments.

Boolit Buddy
    I gave up on both Handloader and Rifle magazine as the number of articles became fewer and fewer and were/are written by the same tired old professional writers with the same tired old perspectives. Both magazines really need new writers covering more subjects of interest just as the earlier magazines once did!

With all the Gun magazines being published there is more info than time to read.
    The best alternative is to shoot!
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Boolit Bub
    Handloader magazine hasn't been the same since Ken Knox left years ago. He had some of the most in depth articles in his Pet Load section that were ever written. Another thing he did was write Pet Loads for old timers and some old military calibers. You can still find the articles in book form and they are worth the money.

Arrow

Ken Knox? I've subscribed to "Hand Loader" for 20+ years and don't recall that name. Did you mean Ken Waters, RD?
    Last edited by Maven; 09-27-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe the name you are writing about is Ken Waters. Google shows articles regarding his passing in early 2017.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    I gave up on both Handloader and Rifle magazine as the number of articles became fewer and fewer and were/are written by the same tired old professional writers with the same tired old perspectives. Both magazines really need new writers covering more subjects of interest just as the earlier magazines once did!
    I do enjoy these threads. The same tired old posters with the same tired old criticisms.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Timing wow I also canceled my subscription of handloader but someone on a other forum sold his Garand and had that issue up
    for free in a helping hands sort of thing so I just got it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Ken Waters book is available on Amazon in both Hrd and soft cover. Its a little pricey but covers a lot of calibers I shoot. I just ordered it.
    jim

In Remembrance

My subscriptions to both magazines ran out on #314 and #315 respectively. I wasn`t going to renew as I was tired of `Black Rifle` articles in Rifle and the same old re-hashing of articles in Handloader. So I guess I`ll never know how good that M-1 article is. I`m about as fed up with my NRA Rifleman life subscription as well and may tell them to stop sending them. Ken Waters was the best researcher for load data I`ve ever read. The last printing of his `Pet Loads` book has all of his updates to his original articles so it is about twice as thick, but worth it.Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    My subscriptions to both magazines ran out on #314 and #315 respectively. I wasn`t going to renew as I was tired of `Black Rifle` articles in Rifle and the same old re-hashing of articles in Handloader. So I guess I`ll never know how good that M-1 article is. I`m about as fed up with my NRA Rifleman life subscription as well and may tell them to stop sending them. Ken Waters was the best researcher for load data I`ve ever read. The last printing of his `Pet Loads` book has all of his updates to his original articles so it is about twice as thick, but worth it.Robert
    Do as I did. Convert to digital. They save on printing and postage, you get each issue on your computer. Not the handiest, but if there is something that interests you, it is available. I don't keep them after I've examined an issue so they don't clog up my files.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    The M1 article is available online for free.

Super Moderator

.............The publishers of "Handloader" and "Rifle" magazine admitted years ago that they were going to "Dumb Down" (not their words) both magazines to compete with the other 'Newstand' magazines. They were not at the time sold primarily from newstands but were mainly subscription and 'Nitch' interest oriented publications.

I can see their point as back in the late 80's early 90's they did away with their 'Cast Bullet' column. Those of us amongst the 'Illuminati' of reloaders felt we were being betrayed. However they have to make a profit since they're NOT sucking on the gov't teat. Things have changed quite a bit, even from then, to now. Go to a public range and most are banging away with some kind of AR type rifle. If you have a lever action they think it's a 30-30 like there grandpa had.

It's getting to the point where I usually don't even bother checking the brass buckets under the benches anymore as all there is is 223. I don't have a problem with that cartridge as it is my cartridge of choice for varmint shooting. However in a handful of 30 cases you might find a couple FC, or Win, or RP headstamps, and all the rest are Greek to me.

I do not know what the statistics are for the proportion of shooters being hand loaders. I've had conversations with guys at the range and mentioned that if I didn't reload I couldn't afford to shoot. Almost to a person they tell me, "I don't have time to reload". Or, "I've thought of doing that, but don't have the space. Both of those replies are pure BS. They're simply excuses. They'd rather sit mesmerized in front of the idiot box, or spend time ticky tacking on their cell phone then doing something physical or creative.

It's a sign of our time. My Dad (who is 90 year old) is an old Arkansas farm boy. On his first leave after joining the Navy he came home and added a for real indoor flush toilet off the kitchen of their farmhouse. He taught himself to repair radios and TV's and had a business on the side doing that. He added room additions to our house for us 3 boys, including the plumbing, wiring, concrete work, and the roof.

Me and my 2 younger brothers were all born in the 50's, and I think we're probably the last of the males around who can actually DO something besides sit mesmerized with a phone in our lap, and spending time on "Social Media". My dad is also the guy who got me into reading. That is AKA, "Movie of the Mind".

I'd rather (and DO!) spend time in my shop MAKING and DOING stuff, rather then sitting in front of the TOOB mimicking the RCA Dog stare being entertained, and simply breathing and blinking. I'm afraid that the past couple of generations are incapable of fending for themselves in most any endeavor. Show one of'em a hammer and they'd say, "What's that for?" You tell them it's for driving a nail. They'd say, "Oh, really? I drive a Lexus." Your best option at that point is to simply say, "Never Mind".

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast