WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Barrel fitting costs

Boolit Bub

Barrel fitting costs

What should I expect to pay to have a Remington 700 action trued and to have a barrel blank chambered, fitted and crowned?

Boolit Master

More than it would be worth. I have never trued an action, but several times I have read that a custom action that does not need truing will cost about the same as having an action trued. Fitting the barrel will cost the same for most any action that has v threads. Square threads will cost moore.

An action for a hunting rifle should not need truing. A competition rifle should start with a good action and a good barrel. For competition, don't start with an action that needs work and a barrel that needs replacing.

Boolit Bub
    A custom action will be $800 or more. I have a 223 Remington that I got super cheap. I have purchased a Shilen barrel blank with the intention of building a 22BR for critters and targets. It will compliment the 6BR that I already have. Not my first go round, but Shilen no longer offers barrel fitting.

Are there any gunsmithing schools near to you? Do a search for gunsmiths in your state or ship it off to one. Ask LOTS of questions to seperate the riff from the raff. Ask benchrest guys who to use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

About 2 years ago I purchased a used Remington 700 rifle as a donor action and had it rebarrelled and restocked. The action didn't need trued as it had been done by the previous owner.

By the time I got finished with the project, I had over $1500 in it and that was with a really good deal on getting the barrel fitted and chambered.
    Your mileage may vary from mine.

Take a look at the remage system.

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master

I have several McGowen barrels that Harry made and mounted for me. How is the quality now? Not even sure this is the same family... Last I knew was that when Harry passed, the business was in question. I just noticed that this McGowan is not in Illinois?

Boolit Bub
    I already have a Shilen barrel blank, so McGowen is probably out. I have to disagree with ulav8r. For utmost accuracy you do have to have everything custom fitted. My best group to date with my 260 Remington was 2.77 inches at 300 yards. The rifle I want is for varmints at 300 or just a little farther.

Boolit Master

What I was trying to say is that, based on forum information, having a action trued will cost within a couple hundred of the cost of a custom action that does not need truing. Your Shilen barrel installed on a custom action will be worth much more than if it were installed on a worked over Remington 700. It also will be more apt to provide utmost accuracy versus a re-worked action.

Boolit Grand Master

Truing and blueprinting an action can get expensive depending on how involved you get. Its a lot of time in set up indicating every thing true. For a varmint rig on a 700 rem action squaring the receiver face and using a better recoil lug ( thicker and ground parallel and true with sides relieved) can make a big difference recutting threads to dead true helps but is touchy and a factory barrel is no longer an option. Rem 700 were also sleeved to stiffen and give improved bedding surfaces and more area.

I would estimate for a full blown true and blueprint on a 700 rem action its going to be in the $300.00-$500.00 range couple with the action a Kelbys action is the same or slightly less

Boolit Master
    For the action to true the faces, threads, and bolt your looking at about $250-300 then another 75 to have Dan Armstrong fix the primary extraction by tig welding the bolt handle. Then about $250 to install the barrel
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Bub
    The rifle I plan to use has a story. Christmas of 2016 or 2017, I was given a gift card to WalMart. Coupled with a rebate and friends discount, I wound up with about $225 in a model 700 package rifle with no name scope. It is a 223 and I have several. So, it gets to become something else. I can bed the rifle in a Boyds laminated stock myself. The biggest reason for this build is simply that I am ballistically promiscuous.

Go .22 Nosler; dont bother truing the action. That Shilen barrel should do sub moa out to 300 yards easily and you don't have to change or mod the bolt. All three of my bone stock Tikka T3's will do <1/2moa with select loads. IMO only for your consideration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Just noticed that you have a .223 boltface , that kind of limits you to .223 or .22 nosier unless you have the bf opened up and a mini 16 extractor installed which will add another $150-200 to the build. Another option is to try to swap out the bolt for a .308 bf one on this site or accurate shooter.
    Also let me add that you can sell the factory barrel and stock no problem. I think varmint hunters buy them and burn them out . I usually get 50-75 for a factory 223 barrel and 35-75 for a factory stock depending on what it is .
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Bub
    I have a bolt ordered from PTG with the correct size bolt face. My intention was to sell the bolt and barrel. The stock is the cheapest ADL plastic one Remington makes. I had bottom metal from a BDL in my parts drawer. This will be a slow build. I don't expect to shoot it till spring.

Boolit Bub
    Labor would run around $600 plus the cost of an oversized recoil lug.

Bill Jacobs

Boolit Bub
    Bill,
    Thanks. That's in line with what my smith quoted me. I dropped the parts off Friday. A side effect is that he now wants to go varmint hunting when I take my trip. Gonna be a neat project.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    I have several McGowen barrels that Harry made and mounted for me. How is the quality now? Not even sure this is the same family... Last I knew was that when Harry passed, the business was in question. I just noticed that this McGowan is not in Illinois?
    McGowen has been in Montana for about 11 years, not the same person but most of the same equipment. I quit using McGown when they would not stand behind two barrels that I sent back. I get most of my barrels from Green Mountain, X-caliber, Shilen and Douglas. Most barrel installs run $200 in my shop, can be more for octagon and special extractor cuts

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    McGowen has been in Montana for about 11 years, not the same person but most of the same equipment. I quit using McGown when they would not stand behind two barrels that I sent back. I get most of my barrels from Green Mountain, X-caliber, Shilen and Douglas. Most barrel installs run $200 in my shop, can be more for octagon and special extractor cuts
    John what do you charge to chamber and full octagon a 30" heavy blank for a highwall? Also how much for dovetail cut and scope drill and tap? I think this would be the most popular bpcr barrel.