Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply PBcastco

Thread: Need Help 0n 9mm 356-125 bullet COAL

Need Help 0n 9mm 356-125 bullet COAL

I ve heard it many times, Glocks are not good on cast bullets, i have also heard that if you stay within the perimeters and clean your barrel you have nothing to worry about. I own 2 Glocks both 9mm (G19 gen5, G43). My COAL is 1.075 on the G19 which i will use on the G43 as well. I am using the Lee 356-125-2R bullet Mold. I Powder Coat using Eastwood Mirror Blue Powder. My Lead Hardness is BHN14-16.
    I need inputs on a good start charge to work from and I don't know where i can get decent help. I ask for some guidance in this Great hobby. Thanks for your time.
    Sam

I would be interested in anyone willing to help, I am using Win-231
    Last edited by PapasandBullits; 09-12-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: forgot powder type
    Gun Safety Rule #1 Carry One

Boolit Master
    Glock also recommends to not use reloads in their firearms either....they'll be fine...neither of mine seem to mind. Both g17 (gen 3 and a gen 4) gen 3 has prob 25k cast loads down the tube? No issues. You'll see leading just as with any firearm if the size isn't right...slug the barrel to confirm what your diameter needs to be.

I've run Lee 124tc, 120tc (my absolute favorite) 125 2r, and the 125 RF...of and the 158 RF...pick a charge on the lower end of which pistol powder you have on hand and build a ladder test with roughly 20 I. Each powder/charge combo....see what gives best accuracy and monitor pressure signs...but if they are only for target use no need to push the envelope. Lighter loads are easier on the gun and budget. I personally use Tite group with good results but unique has been my standard for forever (a bit messy but I like it more overall for other reasons)

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Thank You John, What would you suggest my low load would be if I'm at 1.075 coal? Im thinking starting around 3.3 0r close to that. Winchester has only a 3.6 starting load for coal 1.125. I am set so deep it is hard to judge without testing. so you have a 356-125-2r bullet mold also?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PapasandBullits View Post
    Thank You John, What would you suggest my low load would be if I'm at 1.075 coal? Im thinking starting around 3.3 0r close to that. Winchester has only a 3.6 starting load for coal 1.125. I am set so deep it is hard to judge without testing. so you have a 356-125-2r bullet mold also?
    Sure do, have alot loaded in my range bag currently..with Eastwood Ford light blue ...let me go check the coal on it.

Why you seated so deep? Get it out longer to give you more "wiggle room" on charge weights and case capacity...I think I'm using 3.6 of Tite group currently but let me go confirm on the coal and charge weight

Boolit Master
    Coal I have is 1.128 ymmv.

Do the whole black sharpie plunk test to see what oal and taper crimp your barrel needs to pass the plunk test..

also this is factory Glock and I size mine to 357 to fit right. Mostly for uniformity after powder coating but also to ensure I get consistency while using a mixed range brass for 9mm...

I am loading 3.6 of Tite group under these with cci small pistol primers...work like a charm but my fav is the Lee 120tc...love em

Boolit Master
    I do not have that boolit, so my AOL would not help.

FYI, I had a real hard time getting 9mm boolit loads to work in my boy's glock.

My hardest gun ever to get leading free boolit loads.

Eventually ended up with a bigger than normal expander and 0.358" PC coated Lee 120's truncated cones.

My high volume "target load" is 3.9 promo.

My hotter load is Titegroup at Hodgdon book max for a 120.

Both shoot great with no leading.

Boolit Master

for 9mm I had to throw coal out the window. have 3 or 4 9mm's and the coal is different in all of them, found a happy medium and went with that. when I loaded to the coal in the recipe book they would not load in some of my 9mm's. some worry that moving coal back will raise chamber pressure to much but I don't fill the case clear full of powder so moving the coal back a fraction did not compress any powder and I have not noticed any problems.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

when i plunk test the barrel on my 43 it works great with 1.110 with wiggle room (spin round in chamber) also feeds, and ejects fine, but not the case in my G19. have to drop down 1.075 for that to happen in as the G43. The bullet is so blunt round it hits the lans and inside barrel so it will not spin or feed correctly. That why I'm thinking drop the charge from 3.6 down to 3.3 or 3.4. Again winchester load data says 3.6-4.2 with coal 1.125 . Im just not sure.

What is Black sharpie plunk test?

Boolit Master
    when i plunk test the barrel on my 43 it works great with 1.110 with wiggle room (spin round in chamber) also feeds, and ejects fine, but not the case in my G19. have to drop down 1.075 for that to happen in as the G43. The bullet is so blunt round it hits the lans and inside barrel so it will not spin or feed correctly. That why I'm thinking drop the charge from 3.6 down to 3.3 or 3.4. Again winchester load data says 3.6-4.2 with coal 1.125 . Im just not sure.
    It wont be a squb load at 3.2 so you'll be fine...it will likely function just fine but make sure and check as you go...

Boolit Master
    What is Black sharpie plunk test?
    When I am working up a load for auto pistols I paint the end of a dummy round with black sharpie and load the bullet to the longest I feel is even remotely possible...drop it in the tube and see it it fits flush or if (which is most of the time on first try) it snags even slightly somewhere...I pull the dummy round and see where the sharpie rubbed off and adjust from there (sometimes it's the coal sometimes it's the crimp area is not enough taper or crimp)

I slugged the barrel at 355
    John what is you Coal on you 9mm Glock using the Lee 120 TC ? That bullet might work better and put the Coal close to 1.110 or higher.

Boolit Master
    I just checked my Lee 120 TCs & found that I load to 1.105" OAL.

This has the case mouth fully covering the lube groove.

I do seating and crimping (actually more flare removal) as separate steps. When I tried to do both at the same time with 9mms, I tend to get some shaving of lead/coating. Shaving can result in lead accumulation at the front of the chamber. This in turn causes failure to fire when a round does not go fullly into battery.
    Last edited by P Flados; 09-13-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    That bullet is a royal PIA the 124-2R is a way better choice or the 120 TC. Stop fretting over Glock leading Iv shot 10's of thousands of rounds out of my 34's and have never had a lead build up in chamber area if it chambers it shoots enjoy your range time.