MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting with new HP

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wgg View Post
    The first sentence in this thread, the op makes it clear for deer hunting. I don't understand why he would need to penetrate African game or a Grizzly bear. I believe that is something everyone could agree on.
    Please read and comprehend my posts. Did you miss this???

" Deer, use a .22 LR or a .30-06. Use a hollow-point. "
    There was thread drift directly applicable to my posts. Take it in context.
    But more importantly, read what is posted.
    I woud use anything beginning wit a 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 and a large meplat.
    That is for me, Lead Bullets Technology.
    As stated above, use what you like, but keep it real.
    Last edited by jmort; 09-16-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    Went2KcK, when you are breaking in a new mould it can take a few casting sessions sometimes to start making good bullets. What you need to proper alloy temp, proper mould temp & proper alloy "flow". Once you get all 3 you should be making good bullets. Preheat your mould by setting it on top of your furnace or you a hot plate with a piece of steel set on top so you don't warp your mould. I just set my mould on top & then usually dip a corner of the mould in the molten alloy for a few seconds to bring up the temp.
    Then you might start out by pressure casting, at least at first if you are using a bottom pour pot. That is, hold the mould right up against the nipple on the bottom of the furnace for a couple of seconds to get good fill out, then switch holes & repeat. This usually helps. Now cast pretty fast, watching your sprue cool on top, plus 2-3 seconds so you don't get smear under the sprue plate.
    Right away, maybe 5-6 casts, sometimes even the first cast you should be making good bullets. Don't take time to inspect them, keep a good rhythm going once you are making good bullets. I mostly use a 70/30 alloy of wheel weights & lead with a little linotype added to add some tin. My bullets are always powder coated but not water quenched. You don't want to water quench a HP bullet but you might if you're shooting solids.
    Inspect for good flat bases, if your bases are flat you are most likely making good bullets, & of course if making HP's check the nose. As mentioned above by others, I run my furnace a bit on the high side, you can always turn it down & I do after a while.
    I did run my 217 gr 45 HP's through the clock yesterday & they were running 965 fps, of course that will handle any deer out there at iron sighted six gun range with correct shot placement. A bad hit will always be a bad hit. Good luck!
    Also like Crusty Old Coot, when the going gets tough, I use a tough bullet, I've taken 3 elk with the Ruger 45 using an LBT 325 gr slug, all with one shot each, no problem. Match the bullet to the velocity & the intended target.

Dick
    Last edited by sixshot; 09-16-2018 at 01:22 PM.

sixshot, Thanks for the input their It is a new ,old and only used it once. I wont give up to easy but have had better luck with flat nosed and others. I will try putting more tin in the mix.
    thanks again for the information. Wish me luck.

Loren

Boolit Master
    Sir, is that Harbor Freight Red PC?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    sharpsguy, so how many deer have you taken with six guns? I've been taking them for 50 years & almost always used solids but in the last few years I've decided to experiment with some HP's. The way I've approached it is to slow them down a bit so I get good expansion & still get penetration & I've done both. The secret is correct alloy & velocity. I've taken probably over 100 deer, 11 elk, moose, bears, antelope, lion, big game is 7 different states including Alaska & Africa & I have a pretty good idea how to make a cast bullet work....trust me! My friends & I have shot HP's through bison, large feral hogs, moose & bears so far.

Dick
    That is a awsome list of game and experience. I hopefully will get to try handgun hunting for white tail this winter. I plan on using a S&W Mod 19. Just got to get her scoped and dialed in and let the experimenting begin!!!

Boolit Master
    Yes, it is Harbor Freight Red, I use it almost all the time because it has worked well for me. I also use the gloss black sold by Smokes4320, I think it is, good stuff. It's actually a better quality of paint but I've never been able to shoot any difference between the two.
    With good bullets & placement your model 19 will work just fine. I've taken deer with some of mine & also took my Lion with one but the Lion was VERY close!

Dick

Boolit Mold
    Looks like it is a load that works well for you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123