Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squirrel with my 32 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    Ohio has some strange hunting rules
    For Deer I can use Slugs , Black Powder rifle or Shotgun , Straight wall pistol ammo 357 Mag and larger ( 45/70 is OK ) and The same in rifles

But I can hunt Squirrel with a 50 BMG rifle as long as I do it safely ....Not sure I want a bunch of people hunting Squirrel with big rifles
    Also unless they changed the rules , I can hunt deer with a handgun on public land , But hunting Squirrel with a handgun was against the rules ...I had a Warden warn me that my 10" Ruger Mk2 was not legal to hunt Squirrel ... but OK if I was hunting Coon

But I am thinking of working up some Mouse Fart loads for my 308 and trying it

Just to watch people run LOL

John
    Hey John,

I have the occasion to enforce the hunting laws. I looked through the ODNR rules and regs and can't find anything limiting you from using a 22LR handgun for squirrel. The only quirk would be on State Park areas where they have different rules. So I think your game warden was misinformed or they changed the rule since you had contact with him. You can check the 2018-2019 hunting regs online from ODNR, but I can't find it and I've hunted squirrel with my Ruger MKII, no problems.

Mike

Banned

My main squirrel rifle now is a Savage 219 in .22 Hornet. A 45 grain cast and two grains of Bullseye is better than a .22 LR and anchors these big fox squirrels we have with authority. Fairly quiet too.

Boolit Master

Pretty good start to my Saturday. 1894 CB, .32 S&W Long, 2.8 grains of Green Dot, 325 Saeco. Attachment 228009
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banned

Nice!

I used a little H&R in .30-30 with what I believe to be the Lee 113 grain soup can and five grains of Clays, which were some of my Dad's handloads.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&R Squirrel.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	228057

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lawdog941 View Post
    Hey John,

I have the occasion to enforce the hunting laws. I looked through the ODNR rules and regs and can't find anything limiting you from using a 22LR handgun for squirrel. The only quirk would be on State Park areas where they have different rules. So I think your game warden was misinformed or they changed the rule since you had contact with him. You can check the 2018-2019 hunting regs online from ODNR, but I can't find it and I've hunted squirrel with my Ruger MKII, no problems.

Mike
    The rules may have changed
    As thinking back , it had to be about 20 years back when I was told that

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

I am glad I am not the only one hunting squirrels with other small cal. rifles

I got 3 more this morning before church

That brings the total squirrels to 8 and 1 ground hog
    IMO good 22 lr. would have cost me more than the 32 S&W Long reloads , LOL I always use Eley Standard .... Just the cheap stuff ... well I am to cheap for the good stuff

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

Boolit Buddy
    I lined a Maynard barrel and chambered it in 32 S&W Long. It is 26" long. I bought a 100 grain mold from Accurate molds and load it with 3.0 grains of unique. I don't know the velocity but it is subsonic. It shoots well and I should take it for some of those fox squirrels.

Boolit Bub
    Always fun hunting those little punks. It’s not a firearm but I was planning on trying to whack a few with a long bow next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I always thought that Lee 93 gr. SWC over 3.2 gr. BE in any .30 or .32 cal rifle would make a great squirrel getter, but I've never harvested one with that load. Using airguns this year. I used to use a .223 cast (the rcbs flatnose 55 grain over 4 gr. BE). Kind of amusing hunting squirrels with an AR, but it worked

Boolit Master
    John, will you eat the woodchuck? I tried this year but I think I hung it too long and it was a little rancid.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    John, will you eat the woodchuck? I tried this year but I think I hung it too long and it was a little rancid.
    Fix it just like you would rabbit or tree rat.

Boolit Master
    Cool thanks

Boolit Master

Also a older groundhog isn't the best eating
    I do eat young of the year groundhogs
    But in late summer or fall

But a warning , in the fall groundhogs get a LOT of fat on them
    So I try and remove as much as I can
    Split end to end , a young of the year is great on the BBQ grill

John

Boolit Master
    I went by a cookbook that recommended hanging them for a day or two and then putting them
    in salt water for another day-all I did was wreck it. Next time skin it and into the freezer like a squirrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I made Brunswick Stew with the one and only groundhog I killed. Turned out well.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Nice!

I used a little H&R in .30-30 with what I believe to be the Lee 113 grain soup can and five grains of Clays, which were some of my Dad's handloads.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&R Squirrel.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	228057
    I know its an old post, but dang! That squirrel's a monster.

Banned

I know its an old post, but dang! That squirrel's a monster.
    It was a good one, but the picture makes it look bigger than it was. That's a very diminutive rifle it's positioned out in front of. Wasn't intentional, and it was a big, fat one, but the pic makes it look huge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12