MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hording for the storm

Banned
    JonB_in_Glencoe,

Perhaps the members of THIS forum but I find it not to be true of all gun forums. = I know several people here in TX who are gun-owners but who are NOT prepared for more than 3-4 days W/O shopping the local HEB.
    (Luckily, HEB is usually open before most other businesses.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    These threads always crack me up.
    Talking to us boolit casters about being prepped, is surely preaching to the choir.

I suspect every serious boolit caster "always" has a full pantry, as well as enough supplies (like gasoline) to outlast the average US citizen (in a crisis), many times over.
    Agreed, especially since the average citizen is 3 days away from starvation.. even moreso if they are in a high population density area.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    JonB_in_Glencoe,

Perhaps the members of THIS forum but I find it not to be true of all gun forums. = I know several people here in TX who are gun-owners but who are NOT prepared for more than 3-4 days W/O shopping the local HEB.
    (Luckily, HEB is usually open before most other businesses.)

yours, tex
    Yep, I agree 100%.
    I have a couple friends (gun owners) in my town, that if the convenience store ran out of caffeinated pop(soda), they'd be hospitalized or locked up within 48 hours, LOL.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    I've been through a few, always came out ok. Hunker Down, those who are riding it out & be safe ; )
    H/D

Boolit Grand Master

Well the proof is in the pudding, The big sprinkler is here.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Mold
    Hope everything turns out ok for you affected folks.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i guess i hord all the time in emergency i wouldn't have to leave the house for over a month. keep enough gas for generator to go for month and keep freezer and cabinets full two ice boxes and water comes from tower so it doesnt go off with power plus have pool full.of water have two gas grills with extra tanks for both. also charcoal grill. have hand rank radios and hand crank small generator to charge batteries. have 3 small dogs for early warning and the fire power so no one takes what i have.

Boolit Master
    I could care less if people "hoard". We all have a chance to buy any supplies we might need in an emergency long in advance of any predicted storm.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master
    Majority of the guys I know wouldn't have a chance if a big one hit.
    All firearms owners, but to soft from years of easy living.
    I think the majority of people here would not make it.
    To many damacrats.
    I hope our friends in SC are OK.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Agreed, especially since the average citizen is 3 days away from starvation.. even moreso if they are in a high population density area.
    The average citizen in the USA could use 3 days without food.
    East Tennessee

Hey... I resemble that remark...

Sent from an unnamed device running an undisclosed OS via a third party application.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i could probably go 3 months without food before it started to show. now i am not fat just pleasantly plump as my wife would say. thats why i hoard to old out of shape and just all around bad health to get out and go hunting or fishing so i better have supplies in an emergency . i don't consider being without power for a few days an emergency.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Both my knees are messed up badly - I find it a LOT easier to stalk a can of beans, than to catch anything that moves. The beans, I can CATCH. Not "ideal food" but beats no food; I have more supplies in my vehicle than some neighbors have, period. And these are people who went through St. Helens erupting etc. - Some people just don't learn from experience.

Boolit Grand Master

A co-worker's MIL responded that "It beats a snowball" when asked about a food she didn't especially like. I keep a cupboard full of long-term storage foods that may not be my favorites but will sustain you. Being too old to hunt or make extra trips foraging for food changes your attitude about hoarding.
    So far this time, only mild wind and sprinkles have been experienced. Last evening my Daughters family showed up with an air mattress and flashlights. We had movie and old family VHS night waiting for the worst. News reports show a different story several miles to the SE.
    The only thing I hoard is family and love. Thank GOD I have an abundance of both.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master
    I consider a "Hoarder" as someone who finds out a storm is coming, goes to the store and takes everything they can carry. All the water, can food, TP, batteries, beer, generator. Just takes it all.
    Then when the danger passes, tries to take it all back.
    Living on a rock, in the middle of an ocean, we don't have the option of driving away from danger.
    We also don't have the option of driving to get needed supplies.
    That's why hoarders here piss me off.
    Only good thing is majority of people here are lefties. Sheep.
    Our gang have the means to keep what we have.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    There is a lot to the concept that, in this context, a "hoarder" is "someone who got to the store and bought what I wanted to buy, but got it all first, before I could, at the last second", I suspect?

The US is supposedly a free country where we can spend our money as we see fit - Yet in terms of emergency preparedness, seems like a lot of Gov't officials feel anyone not dependent on THEM, is a "bad person" and should be punished, too. (Except for the FEMA folks or at least SOME there, who realize how things ARE and try to get people to pay attention!)

Banned
    Mr. Sheesh,

I regard a "hoarder" as a person who buys things in quantities that they don't need, have no place to store & really cannot afford to buy. = Like buying a pallet of toilet paper to prepare for a rainy week OR buying a case of cans of pork & beans, IF they don't even like or eat beans.

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    If someone has the moolah, gets there first, and buys all of something up then more power to them. I get madder at the I’ll prepared who become leeches during any time hardship.

Hoarders are hated by the ill prepared and and those who live hand to mouth.

Banned

Agreed. With very little $$$ you can be prepared. Go low tech. Anyone can do it, even on welfare. Just do not wait for the catastrophe and then expect good results.

Banned
    Love Life,
    '
    While a free citizen is certainly FREE to buy up things that he/she do NOT need (It's their $$$$.), IMO it's STUPID to buy things up "just cause" if you have no need for the items in that quantity.
    (Yesterday evening I went to our local HEB to buy groceries & SAW several people buying HUGE quantities of loaves of bread, flats of eggs, soft drinks, beer, diapers, TP, paper towels, light bulbs, etc. = The check-out lady said that "This has been happening since last night, as a week or 10 days of rain & thunderstorms has been predicted.")

yours, tex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast