Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hording for the storm

Boolit Grand Master

Hording for the storm

Last week when the storm was suppose to hit, there was lots of hording going on.
    News showed people at costco with flat carts stacked with bottled water.
    Stores ran out of caned food, bottled water, flashlights, toilet paper, charcoal.
    No one had generators or gas cans.
    Ply wood boards sold out.
    After the storm passed, long lines to return everything horded.
    Lots of upset people when they found out stores wouldn't take everything back.
    Is there a lot of hording going on in the Carolina's????

Is there any price gouging going on???
    I know we had it here.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes they are hoarding like crazy here in upstate SC. could barely find a gallon of 2% milk for my 3 yr old daughter. I was told by one store employee that people are buying everything up, and after the storm passes and they dont need it, they will take it all back to the stores for a return - including food items. I hope that isnt the case though as i sure dont want to buy food items that someone hoarded and then returned to the store - not knowing how they maintained it.

That's what makes me crazy. Most people couldn't last 3 days if everything turned to ****. No power, no food, no water, etc. That's why we have a generator with 50 gallons of gas in reserve that runs the well pump, the septic pump, 2 freezers, the fridge (2), the furnace, and of course, the man cave and all casting/reloading equipment.
    Don't think it can't happen to you? 2008 ice storm we were without power for 9 days.
    It CAN happen. No need to hoard.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

We don't really hoard much in CA. According to recent polls, only about 10% keep their Earthquake kits updated.
    I keep 2 55 gallon drums of water on hand, I empty them every year on July 4th and rinse them out with a gallon of bleach. Then I refill them with another gallon of bleach and 54 gallons of water. I have two trash cans with clothes and camping gear. Batteries get changed out with the water. And I have 5 20lb propane tanks. A couple/buckets of that long term storage food. And plenty of firewood. All of this away from the house in a storage shed. And self defense items too.

If you look at a map, you'll see that LA is surrounded by mountains on 2 sides and the ocean on one. To passes to the north and one to the east. South is open but only one Hwy in that direction. If you do get out there is nothing but desert to the east.
    We have no place to go. It's shelter in place.
    If the quake is bad enough, then the Highways will go down and the passes will be blocked.

If Hurricane Sandy is any indication of Gov't help, there will be fighting and dying in the streets for bottles of water and candy bars.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I grew up learning to "hord" on the farm mom canned and froze fruits and veggies. also had a lot of meat in the freezer. then when I got old enough I joined a group whose motto was be prepared . I learned right now we can go 6 months or longer. to me it is just normal.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I grew up learning to "hord" on the farm mom canned and froze fruits and veggies. also had a lot of meat in the freezer. then when I got old enough I joined a group whose motto was be prepared . I learned right now we can go 6 months or longer. to me it is just normal.
    That's being prepared not hoarding. You built up your supplies over time and keep them at the level you are comfortable with. Do not under estimate the number of people that stop by the store everyday and keep next to nothing in their homes. I am amazed at the idiocy every time a storm is approaching. I wish you folks in the path the best of luck. I've been through a few of these myself and it's no fun even if you come out unscathed, it tears the heck out of the area around you and take a long time to get things back in shape.

I always figured storing many supplies just meant every moron who didn't but had a gun would be coming by soon to try and take it.

I figure the events following Katrina are a good indicator of the manner of insanity that will ensue within hours of a national disaster. I mostly hope I never see such an event come to pass.

YMMV.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Last week when the storm was suppose to hit, there was lots of hording going on.
    News showed people at costco with flat carts stacked with bottled water.
    Stores ran out of caned food, bottled water, flashlights, toilet paper, charcoal.
    No one had generators or gas cans.
    Ply wood boards sold out.
    After the storm passed, long lines to return everything horded.
    Lots of upset people when they found out stores wouldn't take everything back.
    Is there a lot of hording going on in the Carolina's????

Is there any price gouging going on???
    I know we had it here.
    I don't blame the stores for refusing returns. Especially food items. I'm not sure if thats even legal.

I'm not sure exactly where the line is between common sense, being prepared and hoarding. My Wife keeps us pretty well stocked up with kitchen and household stuff. If we had a major storm in the forecast I doubt my Wife would even need to go buy anything. I keep a few cans of gas and diesel around and a few extra jugs of propane. I have several cases of bottled water that is probably flat by now but is to be used to wash with of flush the toilet. If we had hurricanes here I would have plywood cut to fit the windows and extra tarps.

Boolit Master
    It’s been busy here and will ramp up today. Gas stations were empty a few days ago but since there is nothing interfering with the wholesale supply it seemed that every station was resupplied. Bottled water is gone, although it wouldn’t surprise me if truckloads of it get delivered to the stores today.

I did go shopping yesterday, bought cashews, M&Ms, TP and baby wipes.

Speaking to the hardware store guys, returns are a big issue. For example, they are selling hundreds of generators that they know will be returned. Guys said that they’ll just mark them down to get rid of them. Same for tarps and chainsaws. Haven’t heard this from the grocery stores, but we don’t generally have returns of food stuff that goes back on the shelves, if the store accepts a return they discard the item.

What I don’t have is good rain gear, maybe run by Cabelas today and see what they have.

Boolit Grand Master

Milk, bread, and water are still in short supply. Everyone is selling batteries and flashlights like crazy. So far no evidence of gouging.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    I have enough food, plus a bazillion MRE’s. Probably stop here in Georgia and get some candles.

Moderator Emeritus

We already have roads closed due to all the rain recently. This storm could put another hurt on us. Last storm lost power for 13 hours. My 5000 watt generator is on porch still from that one. Just installed a 500 gallon propane tank which got filled yesterday. My whole house generator is all set for hookup tomorrow. Should last about a week if needed and then use gas generator. Been through to many storms and loss of power. Live in a somewhat remote area so makes sence to me to be prepared. Good luck.

Boolit Master

we've tried, over the years, to reduce our survival dependancy on commercial fuels.

what i mean is; survive without generators and gasoline, diesel, propane.

not in our daily lives mind you.

just when the juice goes off, no one is wondering how we will stay warm or cook food.

wood heat backup and constant rotation of home canned food.
    spring house for the stuff that will eventually thaw out of the freezer etc.

maybe 20 more years and we'll figure it out but we don't have to buy tons of gas every time the weather threatens at least.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    That's what makes me crazy. Most people couldn't last 3 days if everything turned to ****. No power, no food, no water, etc. That's why we have a generator with 50 gallons of gas in reserve that runs the well pump, the septic pump, 2 freezers, the fridge (2), the furnace, and of course, the man cave and all casting/reloading equipment.
    Don't think it can't happen to you? 2008 ice storm we were without power for 9 days.
    It CAN happen. No need to hoard.
    yep.. most people / places are 72 hours away from anarchy.

If I was a retailer, I would have a no-return policy except in the case of real honest to goodness 'its broke / doesn't work' out of the box.

Boolit Master
    Just as a suggestion most whole house generators can be fitted to run on propane. What some see as hoarding I see as being prepared. I have 2 generators and plenty of fuel and food and water for months. This is earthquake country.
    jim

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a gen just to keep food cold.
    As long as you don't open the door, it stays cold for a long time.
    Only need to run it for 1/2 hour to get the freezer cold.
    Have propane and burners, propane BBQ grill, a few gas lantern, and a wind up radio.
    Two 55gal drums that catch rain water.
    Three first aid kits, tarps, rope, duct tape, candles, matches and lighters.
    Of course firearms and lots of ammo.
    Can food, ramin, snacks, even some MRE's.
    I hope I'm ready.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Good luck to those affected - Stay safe!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    Wasn't hording, it was being self sufficient .
    My parents had a 2 mile diet. They grew and processed all the food we ate. Prior to electricity and freezer we cooked on a wood stove, had a naptha two burner stove for outside cooking in the summer. Preserved all the vegitables that grew in the garden and had great food all winter.
    The bin of potatoes in the cold room was 40" x 40" X72" - potatoes kept all winter.
    There were separate bins for carrots, and turnips.
    Beets, cucumbers, some beans and small carrots were pickled, some were canned in glass sealers.
    Onions are garlic were curred and hung from the rafters in the cool/ dry cold room.
    Fruits and berries were made in to jellies, jams, and canned in sealers.
    the climate was too cold to grow peaches, plumbs, cherries, crab apples, and apricots - these were a maor purchase at the local grocery store.
    My mother made at least 5 different kinds of cheese plus we milked cows and made our own butter.
    Over 50% of the crops on the 320 acres went to livestock feed.
    Between the garden and the pigs, chickens, and cows we ate very well.
    Electricity dropped the ammount of work of preserving, the first purchase was light bulbs for the kitchen, the second a chest freezer, the third, an electric stove. Bread, cakes, and pie came out of that stove perfect every time.
    Cabbage got krauted in the fall and in the spring we cut suckers from the maples to use to smoke bacon and hams when we butchered pigs.
    Folks did not hord back then. They perpared food when it was plentiful so they would not starve in the winter.
    That food never got wasted , there were always families in need in the sping and summer.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Banned
    To All,

I know that this comment will sound OBVIOUS to some folks but having lived through 4 major hurricanes & helped clean up after others, the time to figure out what you/the family will need in an emergency is NOT when it's immediately needed.

I would suggest that each member make a laundry list of what your family uses for a MONTH & base your shopping list for emergencies upon that list.
    Then add drinking water/extra flashlights/batteries/fuel for vehicles & generators/ammo to that list IF you actually need the supplies.
    (Last year, my lady/I went through HARVEY & the severe flooding that followed, which was a real mess but I saw people who I knew buying CASES of paper towels/TP/diapers, that were more than sufficient for 6-12 months use.)

Common sense PRE-planning keeps one from making needless purchases in "a panic mode".

just my opinion, tex

Moderator Emeritus

These threads always crack me up.
    Talking to us boolit casters about being prepped, is surely preaching to the choir.

I suspect every serious boolit caster "always" has a full pantry, as well as enough supplies (like gasoline) to outlast the average US citizen (in a crisis), many times over.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast