Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: burnt case mouth

Banned

personally, i think it's a big mistake to allow bp residue to eat at the brass. i never deprime after shooting, no need for that, but a big need for me to get the brass into soapy water ASAP - outta the chamber, dunked in the jug. back at the ranch the brass gets dumped into a strainer and washed of the soap. now they get deprimed, then cleaned shiny bright inside and out.

Boolit Buddy

burnt case mouth

I’m not worried about it. After going into the wet tumbler they are good as new. The residue from the black powder I’m using doesn’t seem to eat the case. Now if I let them sit in the basement for a few days where it’s damp they will corrode and turn that greenish color since the fowling does
    Attract moisture. I have left fired brass upstairs for over a week where it’s nice and dry with no I’ll effect at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ian45662; 09-15-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Boolit Mold
    45562,that is what my cases look like. They don't do that with Swiss. I talked to a very good shooter today and he said the same thing , don't worry about it! Flatsguide, that is a group that I could go into retirement with. Tell me more about that bullet. My Shilo is an early model, just after Wolfgang retired. It has something like a 17.7 twist as far as I can tell. My bullets came in from Buffalo so I"ll be loading tonight. Have a Sil match tomorrow and I"ll probably shoot my GG loads as there already loaded. binski

Boolit Buddy
    Binski, that’s Beltfed’s bullet and group. Wish it was mine ,lol.
    Regard, Richard

Boolit Mold
    Sorry about that. I get excited easy. binski

Boolit Master
    Flatsguide,
    I patch my DDEPP bullets dry. Then, just a touch of moisture on seam and paper rolled/tucked over base,
    then stand them a few minutes on a warm hotplate to iron down the base paper. they stay together nicely until I slip fit them into my FF brass.
    beltfed/arnie
    Oh, binski, for that 17.7" twist you should have a bullet about 1.25" long for best stability.

Boolit Buddy
    Belt fed thanks for the info. One could call that belted section of that two diameter bullet a “driving band”. I wonder what the shortest “band” that would be practical to try. Only inserting the “band” section in the case and as much as possible the bullet bore riding.
    Thanks zbeltfed

Boolit Master
    Not wishing to hijack the thread, but, rfd, could you tell us who offers rental paper-patch chamber reamers? I looked through the offerings of White Rock and 4-D, and couldn’t find any mention. Would like to try one in .45-2.1”

Boolit Master
    Indeed. I am now working with a DDEPP bullet for my 12 twist 40-72:
    Its 1.54" long, 440gr, and has a 0.125" long base band that patches up to the I.D.
    of the case mouth. The rest of the bullet is "patch to bore" diameter to start out concentrically in the barrel.
    I have helped several friends with design of two diameter bullets who are now having success/accuracy with
    PP in GG chambers.
    beltfed/arnie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    Not wishing to hijack the thread, but, rfd, could you tell us who offers rental paper-patch chamber reamers? I looked through the offerings of White Rock and 4-D, and couldn’t find any mention. Would like to try one in .45-2.1”
    yeah, PPB's are a niche in a niche industry, try dave manson - https://mansonreamers.com/

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    45-90 brass, loaded with a .446525 money bullet cast from 16-1, fired from a proven championship grease groove chamber.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0330_zpst2hlog0n.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	227291
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12