RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Finally got back into it

Boolit Buddy

Finally got back into it

After "meaning to" get some casting done for over a year now I finally got something done the last few days. Two motivating factors here. First, I was almost out of my 240 grain boolits for the 300 BLK. Another reason is I have a six cavity Lyman 45 mold that has been on loan from a friend for 2 years now and I need to get a stash made from that mold so I can return it.

I finally got a dedicated casting bench built so I got all of my equipment together in one place. This is much less daunting a task than having to round up everything and clear a spot to set up. Attached picture is the results of several casting sessions over the last few days. One more round with that 45 mold and I can probably return it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180911_122251.jpg  

looks great, those 300blk look like bad medicine!
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a nice pile of bullets! Work and life caused me to get away from some of my hobbies a few times. It makes you feel good to get back into them.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have to cast out side under a porch. So I have to take everything out there and set it up, but when I do I cast all day.

I have 8, 6, 5, 4, 3 & 2 cavity molds. The 8, 6 & 5 cavity molds are pot drainers so the sessions are delayed by refilling the pot. I put a cheap
    cake pan on the hot plate to warm up ingots in because there is a fine line between warm ingots and a runny mess all over the hot plate and the bench.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug480 View Post
    looks great, those 300blk look like bad medicine!
    The 300 BLK is what really got me back into casting this time. There is just something about ringing a steel plate at 200 yards with a suppressed tire weight.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Thats a nice pile of bullets! Work and life caused me to get away from some of my hobbies a few times. It makes you feel good to get back into them.
    I finally retired several years ago and now have time for the important things. I just have to get my priorities straight.

Quote Originally Posted by LenH View Post
    I have to cast out side under a porch. So I have to take everything out there and set it up, but when I do I cast all day.

I have 8, 6, 5, 4, 3 & 2 cavity molds. The 8, 6 & 5 cavity molds are pot drainers so the sessions are delayed by refilling the pot. I put a cheap
    cake pan on the hot plate to warm up ingots in because there is a fine line between warm ingots and a runny mess all over the hot plate and the bench.
    My wife brought a lot of her mother's furniture home and bought a 10x16' storage building to keep it in until my daughter had a place to put it. While I was painting the floor and wiring the building for lights and a receptacle or two my wife approached me with a proposition. She asked if I may want to move all of my reloading stuff to that building and store the furniture in the basement. ALL of my stuff in one location with a custom built bench and overhead shelves? Hmmm, let me think about it...OK! Last week or so I added another 10' bench on the other wall of the shed and permanently moved all of my casting goodies to one spot.

Boolit Master

I put my casting, sizing upside down press, shotgun shell sizer and shotgun press on a rather large rolling table.

just rool it out under the carport and good to go
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place