Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Is boolit 357446 a good choice or M10 S&W?

Boolit Buddy

Is boolit 357446 a good choice or M10 S&W?

Will the 357446 work in the M10 S&W 38special? I vaguely remember something about this boolit being too long for a 38 special clyinder.
    Am I amagining this or was this just internet myth?

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Even if it fits, I don't think you'll like it. It's a 357 boolit and it does not like to go slow. It is definitely not a plinker. I love it and have at least 5 of the molds (it comes with all different width of front driving bands), but none of them like 38 speeds. Crank it up in a 357 and it's a super accurate boolit though.
    Good luck!!!

Here's some more reading on it.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...5-Lyman-357446
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Some years ago, I tested the 357466, the 358477, and the 358429 using a K-38 with a Leupold scope and a sandbag rest at various distances. All three were accurate. The 358429 was slightly more accurate at longer ranges (over 50 yards). The 358477 was slightly more accurate at shorter ranges (under 50 yards). The 357466 was a little less accurate than the others where they were the best, but was as accurate (or a little better) than the others where they were at their worst. All did well, though.

Boolit Master

I have tried both of my variations in 38 special and they were not special. But, as others have said... in a 357 it is a whole nother game!

Boolit Master
    I recommend the 358477. I’ve been running it through M-10’s for over 40 yrs.

Boolit Master
    I like the looks of the 446, but try as I might, it has been a poor performer in .38 Spl every time I tried it. I finally gave all of my copies away.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Beagle333, I have one of those newfangled Smith & Wesson 27-9's I'd like to try this in. I have a 4 cavity mold that's been sitting for years because I never bothered to test it out having heard that it was an inaccurate design. Could be fun!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I recommend the 358477. I’ve been running it through M-10’s for over 40 yrs.
    Yessir. My favorite bullet for use in 38 Special and 38 S&W (if your mould casts it large enough to fit). Lyman #358429 arrived kinda late at my house, and it does as well as 477, and weighs about 15 grains heavier (if that matters). But in terms of round count, I have shot 20+ 477s for every 429 I have ever launched.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    YUP!! my experience with 446 mirrors the others here. Ya gotta push it hard and top end 357 works well.