MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire recommendations

Banned
    For the OP, The limiting factor is the Load Range E requirement.

First you must start with a tire of the correct size and Load Range E, after meeting that requirement you then look for tread design and tread compound.

If the bulk of your use is on the highway pulling a trailer, I would look towards a highway rib design for the tread over an All-terrain type.

Finding a good Load Range E tire of that large size for under $200 is going to be a challenge.

I run Michelin Defender LTX M/S LT235/85R16 tires (load range E) on my 1999 Ford SRW, 4WD, regular cab Super Duty. I've tried several different tires, and have settled on this one as the best, and the best value. They have a soft ride, give excellent traction, are quiet, and consistently run 60,000 miles per set. My most recent set cost $910 before the $70 rebate. My Super Duty has 370,000+ miles and runs like new. I expect it to be the last truck I ever own, so I'm taking good care of it.

Where in Virginia do you live?
    Last edited by Tatume; 09-12-2018 at 07:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    Folks just to clear up some level of understanding this is my second 3/4 ton truck, my first a 99 Ram 2500 went thru several sets of tires in its lifetime (~250k when traded) towing both a tail dragger camper and a 5th wheel, so I am well versed in what load range E brings with it, but I am behind the times in tires and the current selections. Not many around here at work run heavy trucks so there is little input I can get locally hence my question.

Tatume, I'm in Stafford, about 40mi south of Washington DC along the I95 corridor

Boolit Bub
    I’m about to try a set of Bridgestone REVO 3 tires on my Grand Cherokee, they will be the first non Michelin tires I have purchased in a long time.

I’ve tried several different brands, and my current favorite are Falken Wildpeak AT3W, which are currently on my 3/4 (Load E-rated). Great price, great traction, and low noise. I doubt they will get anywhere near the 55k mileage wear being on a 3/4 ton, but they are still in great shape with over 11k.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Tatume, I'm in Stafford, about 40mi south of Washington DC along the I95 corridor
    Stafford RV is where I bought the Airstream trailer I tow with my 99 Super Duty. I go by there frequently on my way to USMCB Quantico.

Take care, Tom

Toyo makes a good tire for towing, highway and mild offroad.
    At $200 a tire you will be limited.
    Casting, Reloading & Shooting

At $210 per tire for top of the line Michelins the limitation is not severe. That includes shipping from TireRack.com.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    They put a set of Patagoanias on one of our plow trucks over a year ago any we are actually very happy with them.
    We knew they were trying to save a buck and have called them Petunias but they have actually turned out to be a very good value for the $.
    These are on a 3/4 ton with a very large and heavy plow.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    I spent the money on Michelins one time, that was a total bust.
    didnt get anymore out of those than a WalMart tire.
    BF Goodrich all Terrains is about as good as it gets
    dodge 2500 Cummins
    Same here. BF Goodrich All Terrain is what my Cummins 2500 4x came with and last 30% longer than the Michelins I tried. Currently running Toyo, they were a better price than BF Goodrich, $800 OTD, similar traction.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter93 View Post
    I have had all brands of tires and anymore I use Michelin. They are more expensive at times but I get 60,000 miles out of them so overall it's a bargain I think.
    Same experience here. After using a dozen other brands of tires over the years, when I got my first set of Michelin on my pickup, I was muttering to myself, "I should have been getting these all along." Well worth the extra cost to me.
    100,000 BC: stone tools. 4,000 BC: the wheel. 900 AD: gunpowder — bit of a game changer, that one

Peter Weyland, 2023

Nothing to worry about, because for once, I have the proper tool at hand. Looking for a little heat?.......Any questions?

Burt Gummer, Tremors 3

Boolit Master
    The company I work for has a small fleet of about 15 GM trucks. For All of the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks we have gone to the load range E Michelin Defender series. It's proven to be the lowest cost per mile for us and they are as good in the snow as anyones standard snow tire. On the 3/4 ton diesel I drive daily I'm getting around 50,000 miles out of them, and I replace them well before they won't pass inspection. The only one I've wrecked was due to a sidewall cut from driving on blastings in the snow. It never blew out, but it wouldn't pass inspection with the cut. IMHO the critical path to long tire life involves keeping up with the alignment and front end wear components. I've found this to be a constant process for friends running the Dodge's on northern Maine roads.

Banned

The Defender is good.
    The XPS Traction is better.
    Reflected in the price.
    Well worth it as XPS lasts longer.
    Mine excel on and off road.

Regular rotations help with tire longevity too.

Boolit Master
    Decision made, my local big box store knocked $100 off the store price for the Michelin Defenders.

Thanks for all the input and recommendations.

Banned

Good choice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12