RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Rifled Pump Shotgun... Advice?

Boolit Grand Master

Okay then I'll have to try that load and see what happens. I also have to "recalibrate" my loading. The wads I was using are gone now (old Pacific Verelite) and they were thicker than the Winchester and Claybuster wads I have now so my slugs and round balls don't fit as snuggley. This came up last spring when I went out to the range having used same reloading data and slugs/balls but in the Winchester and Claybuster wads. Well, accuracy wasn't what it had been. There were a few other issues too plus relearning a thing or two (got sloppy with roll crimps) to get accuracy back.

I read with interest your comment on patching with pillow ticking. I have cloth patches 0.662" RB's into shotcups already in hulls and paper patched both near bore size slugs and wad slugs to get proper fit. In fact it takes one wrap (tube) of printer paper to make my 0.678" RB's a snug fit in the Winchester wads I have now. They were a perfect fit in the Pacific Verelite wads.

Your RB accuracy at 50 yards mirrors mine. I can generally keep good loads under 4" at 50 yards. In fact my choice for "slug" is generally round ball for moderate ranges from smoothbore. It is that elusive 100 yard accuracy I struggle to get.

Thanks for sharing.

On the gun front I believe I will be ordering the Mossberg 500 Slugster. It seems like a decent deal and the shop has been very responsive to my questions. Shipping is about $40 so not bad. I just hope it isn't sold by the time I order.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    The extraction problems some 870 Express shotguns exhibit can be virtually eliminated by polishing out any tool marks found on the barrel extension.

If it is a new gun send it back to Remington under warranty.
    Last edited by RMc; 11-01-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    I hope those loads help you. I mostly load RBs cause while longer range accuracy is a lot of fun, there is a part of me that just feels stupid chasing tiny groups at 100+ when most of my hunting is usually inside of 25yds, and sometimes stretches out to 50. I mean, my last hog was shot at 15 yards, and I probably could have taken it just fine with buckshot instead of the RB. I still chase the small groups, but I don't beat myself up when I don't achieve them. I have several rifles that shoot sub-MOA groups, and I'd be lying if I said those don't get more of my attention than the shotguns do.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I just tried to order the Slugster and something failed! Typical! First the site registration wouldn't work so I tried resetting the password which did work so let me get to the cart and checkout but then it all failed again! Bah!

I'll call them tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    I bet you'll like the Slugster. It's simple, but light, handy, and very effective. More accurate than I expected when I bought mine too.

And if you hear of anyone telling you about me being in the nail polish section of the grocery store trying to figure out what color to buy, and one of the ladies that works there giving me a funny look and laughing when I told her its to paint gun sights with, well, there may be a bit of truth to it.

I use nail polish too, but I do find it hard to apply. The deer doesn't want to stand still while i paint an orange dot on his rib cage.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    Longbow, I don't think you will regret choosing the m500 Slugster. FWIW though the Winchester 1200/1300 are eeny and meeny....I don't know what was changed at the new 1300 designation but it doesn't seem that it was much. Yes they were designed to replace the Model 12 with something cheaper to manufacture but I like the design. I have a 1200 Riot that belonged to my brother-in law's father. It was the shotgun that rode in his cruiser during his career as a city cop. It is the tightest/least rattle prone pump I own.It also has the best wood ironically. Like the Model 1400/1500 semiautos and the SuperX1 these feature a rotary bolt lockup into the barrel extension and at least appears to be the strongest pump action in existence......but nobody questions the adequacy of the Mossberg system. The only thing I dislike on the 1200 is the action release button....it is small and round and requires precise pressure to release. Pluses and minuses-you don't open the action accidentally but you can't always speedily rack the slide at will.
    Back to the slugster. I have a slugster barrel that I stuck on my "Revelation" M500 to replace the full choke barrel that was on it when I rescued it from a used gun rack for $100.
    My most recent test rounds show great promise-3 shots touching at 35 yards, 3 in 3" at 70 yards. Rio hull and primer 19.3 grains Red Dot, BPI PT1205 Wad 20 ga Nitro card 7/8 lee Slug, fold crimp.
    Last edited by Treeman; 10-29-2018 at 11:18 PM.
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

Boolit Master
    Thank you, Treeman, I’ll have to try that load in mine too.

Boolit Buddy
    You are welcome. Part of the fun I have had with slugs is first trying to find a slug load that will work in the Slugster for deer hunting in a "shotgun only" area and secondly searching for a plinking/practice load that will shoot decently in multiple shotguns. The load that I hunted with last (no shot taken) was also Rio hull and primer 25 grains of 800X Pt1205 a thinner .10" 20 gauge nitro card ( I don't know who made them and I'm running out) and the Lee 1oz slug fold crimped. That one gives about 6-8" groups at 85 yards.....so it was usable but not all I wanted. Another that has given similar performance and seems to shoot groups rather than patterns in every gun tried was a AA hull win 209, 23 gr.Unique PC Red wad with petals trimmed(removed about 5/16") same .10 NC and the Lee 1 oz fold crimped. The petals are trimmed so that they don't reach to the widest portion of the lee slug the trimmed petals still fill the gap between slug and bore and seem to keep things centered but don't bulge the case and make an overly tight fit. I have done the same with Claybuster wads with decent results but no load has grouped as well as the 19.3 gr Red Dot and 7/8 slug and that pt1205 wad which requires no modification just a 1/8 NC. Obviously none of these loads are high velocity ( they all fall in the 1250-1350 fps range) but I am seeking accuracy first and want my general practice round to be far less brutal to the shoulder than Max power slug loads. BTW, I have also stopped benchresting slug loads and am shooting standing with a tripod shooting stick-not as precise but with open sights I'm not noticing much difference except at my shoulder.
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

Boolit Bub
    Winchester 1300 "Defender" was my first pump shotgun, purchased maybe 30 years ago and still have it. It has extended 8 shell mag tube and 18.5" IC barrel. Shoots factory Foster slugs accurately out to 30 yards at least. I've not shot reloads in it as yet, as my personal quest is the elusive short shell. Its a very value-conscious option for the tightwads in the crowd (myself included!). I've since put a side saddle, vertical foregrip and side folding stock on it so take that as you will.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    I use nail polish too, but I do find it hard to apply. The deer doesn't want to stand still while i paint an orange dot on his rib cage.

BB

Oh dear...................
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

As usual, a bump in what should have been a smooth road! I tried to checkout too many times by resetting things and trying again. That triggered a hold with my credit card company and now I can't use the card for two days!

Mot only that, I can't even log into my account at the store now! I reset the password and still no go. It recognizes my e-mail address as having an account but I can't get into it. I thought that maybe there was an option to use my debit card.

I couldn't call today because for the first time in 3 weeks I have work so was on a client's site all day. I'll call the store tomorrow.

Frustrating! Now that I find the gun I want and a good deal to boot I may not get it before it sells!

Bah!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Is that UV cure nail polish you buy or the old style solvent stuff?

I'd figure UV cure would be better.

Fluorescent pink should be good on sights but as you note might raise some eyebrows in the make up section when a grizzled old man is buying flashy nail polish! We do live in a liberated society now though don't we!?!

Boolit Master
    Don't get me lying to you because I can't remember what I did with the bottle right now. But its this obnoxious weird shade of what looks like a combination of hot pink and neon orange. At least that's what it looks like on the front sight, and it stands out great against the greens and browns I have in the woods here. I can't believe a sober person would choose to put this junk on their nails, but I like it on the front sight of my Slugster.

Boolit Grand Master

Well some good news! Despite the confusion regarding ordering the Mossberg Slugster on-line with the account failing and credit card locked and all, l I got hold of the store and they are holding the gun for me! Yay!

So in a couple of weeks I will be the proud owner of a Mossberg 500 Slugster! Yay again!

Randy did a good sales job for Mossberg!

I think this gun will be perfect for the application... except if I really like it I won't want to use it for a knock around gun so will have to get another! What a dilemma.

I better buy some obnoxious colour nail polish so I am ready for customizing sights!

Waiting in anticipation. I got some loading to do! Good thing I just cast up a bunch of RB's. Got lots of slugs cast too.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Do a layer of white first. It makes orange, or other bright color really pop.

Well,,, I guess I can phone in for my commission now. Well done sir. You won't be disappointed.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Look at that after only 237 posts we got 'er done!

Good stuff and thanks to all! Interesting thread it was! We can keep going too. I'll be reporting on the gun and how it does in the not too distant future.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Just be ready someone will come along right after you complete the purchase offering to sell you a slightly used Mossberg for a 100 - 150 bucks .

Boolit Master
    Congratulations, LB!

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast