Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Rifled Pump Shotgun... Advice?

Boolit Grand Master

That wasn't a new one then, Mossberg went to threaded chokes a long time ago. I actually prefer the old fixed choke barrels though, they swing better for me. They went to threaded chokes because it was cheaper to do, not because it was better. The old swagged chokes were for cost savings, but I don't think Mossberg ever used those, and a good fixed choke costs more to cut now with the equipment used.

MSM: Well, It's not like we checked the #s for year of manufacture but the store is new this month and the box the Mossy was shipped in was there and looked brand new so I'm thinking it's a newly shipped gun. Doesn't matter anyway so not worth worrying about. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

That is something I checked on the 3 barrel combo deal here and what it includes is a 28" vent rib barrel with screw in choke tube, 22" turkey barrel with adjustable fiber optic sites and extra full screw in choke tube and a 24' fully rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount.

The 24" barrel with cantilever scope mount is actually a negative for me as I prefer open sights for a knock around gun and the 24" barrel is a bit long. I'd prefer 20" to maybe 22" max. Easy to cut the 24" barrel down with no front sight to worry about but then I need a red dot or similar to mount on it.

I'll look for good used first, but like I said pickings are slim here. I hope the 3 barrel combo deal sticks around for a while if I don't find good used. It is a good deal.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Longbow ... Tradeex has a 20 inch rifled Hastings barrel in stock for an 870 ... and with rifle sights ...

https://www.tradeexcanada.com/conten...-3-inch-sights

Boolit Grand Master

Faustus thanks for the link. For some reason I didn't find Tradeex when I searched for used guns in Canada.

For that price though they can keep it. Seems pricey for just a barrel but maybe I am comparing to US prices in my head. I don't have an 870 to put it on anyway... well, I guess I put it on my son's 870 to try it out but I'd rather buy the Mossberg 3 barrel combo for $575.00. By the time I buy the barrel then find an 870 to put it on it'll likely cost as much or more than the Mossberg combo.

Elwood Epps has a nice looking 870 Wingmaster with fully rifled slug barrel with cantilever scope mount and scope for $525.00 which I have been thinking about. The problem with most used guns for me is that I am so remote from large shopping centers that there is little chance to find or handle a used gun. I'll most likely have to buy based on pics and description. Not so bad for new guns but not so good for used.

There are a couple of local guys that buy, sell and trade guns that I can get hold of to keep an eye out for decent used pump guns if they don't have anything.

What is nice to see on Tradeex is all the side by 12 ga. guns. Lots of selection and what appear to be decent prices. I will be back looking at those.

Thanks,
    Longbow

Rifled Pump Shotgun... Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Well, further investigation at Elwood Epps in Ontario is telling me that both Remington and Mossberg 3 1/2" chambered guns use 3" chamber slug barrels so no disadvantage there for slug shooting. At the other extreme I wonder if those longer actions handle 2" hulls... not that I'd likely shoot many but nice to have the ability. I am more likely to shoot short hulls than 3 1/2" hulls.

So, if I can find a good used 3 1/2" gun there is no disadvantage for slug shooting since chambers are 3". Just thinking there may be more chance of finding a used Mossberg 3 barrel combo in 3 1/2" because someone bought it mostly for waterfowl hunting but didn't like the recoil... maybe?

An option anyway unless there are other disadvantages?

If I buy new then likely the Mossberg 500 3 barrel combo. So far cheapest new I have found is $575 CDN which isn't bad.

I am currently out of work for a bit though so no toy money. It'll come though!

Longbow
    LB,

My Mossberg 835 shoots 3.5” slugs. I did a video on 3.5” LBC sabots.
    I would stay clear of any 870 made within the last 20 years. The quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rifled Pump Shotgun... Advice?

Delete duplicate post.

Just recently bought a used 870 Remington fully rifled factory barrel with the cantelever scope mount on it for next to nothing since the previous owner took a tumble with it and bent the scope mount. I already had an older 870 with 3 barrels so it made perfect sense. With a bit of "tweeking" the scope base is now straight and mounted with a 2.5 power Sightron scope which has been bore sighted. Just haven't had a chance to get out and test fire it yet to see how it will perform. I'll be shooting hand-loaded Lyman sabot slugs in it.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master

Looking forward to some range reports reverend!

I like the Lyman sabot slug but personally I think it is a bit too wadcutter like. I'd like to see a bit more TC type nose like old Rapine 730550. That is mostly in reference to the fact I am shooting smoothbore.

The Lyman gets good reviews though and I think out of a rifled gun it will do well for you.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

BT... have you tested Lyman sabot slugs? If so please point me to the video if you would. I trust your reviews and like your videos.

Boolit Buddy
    Longbow,

I don't know if you are aware .... there is the CanadianGunNutz forum and which has several equipment exchange sub forum ... also one for shotguns and one for shotgun parts.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com

In my opinion a pretty good place in Canada for buying used items from individuals.

You would need to create an account on canadiangunnutz.com and ask the administrators for the rights to access the equipment exchange. There are some good deals showing up from time to time ... and that's where I bought some of the parts that I needed for my 870s and my two H&R single shots that are not produced any more.

Exchange of Shotguns
    https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...ge-of-Shotguns

Exchange of Shotgun Parts and Accessories
    https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...nd-Accessories

Boolit Master

Extractor's mostly, sometimes the lifter jammed, or even broke off completely. Sometimes the barrel wouldn't reseat after being removed. Had one that the buttstock split 6 inches from the tang. And more broken off safeties then I could count.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Okay, back from the dead... or a long sleep anyway!

So, looking at used guns, Ellwood Epps Sporting Goods has several used guns that could just make for a decent bear defense gun whether I get a rifled barrel as well or just stick with smoothbore for the bear gun and get a rifled gun for the "target" weapon.

So, now modified question:

Who has experience to say which is best, pros/cons or are these more or less comparable for the purpose of dependable/reliable bear defense (rifled barrel not essential):

- Winchester 120 pump & 120 Ranger; 3"; $200.00 to $250.00 (I know nothing about these)
    - Winchester 1200 pump; all 2 3/4"; $225.00 to $275.00 (Seen them and may have shot one long ago. My understanding is they were the newer version to replace the model 12 but weren't the quality of the model 12)
    - Winchester 1300; 3"; $250.00 (no experience here but my understanding is this replaced the 1200?)
    - Winchester 1300 Ranger; 3"; $340.00
    - Winchester 2200; 2 3/4"; $199.00 (?)
    - Remington 29; 2 3/4"; $175.00 (? Old but in decent shape it seems. Spare parts available?)
    - Remington Wingmaster; 3"; $325.00 (I know about these and it is in the running)
    - Remington 870 tactical; 3"; $349.00 (functional as is for bear protection and accessories readily available)
    - Mossberg 590 tactical speed feed (Mossberg is in the running and this one is $449.00 so affordable)
    - Mossberg 500A Slugster; 3"; $299.00 (Smoothbore with rifle sights. This seems like not a bad deal and the gun appears to be in good shape.)

All these are across the country so I can't handle any but the store has a good reputation so I think I'd trust them on their condition rating and prices look good.

So far Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 have been the main topics but for a knock around bear gun I'd consider others especially if they are reliable and inexpensive. The only gun in this list with rifle sights is the Mossberg Slugster but all can easily be cut down and either a bead (good enough for bear protection) or rifle sights added.

How do the various Winchester models and Remington 29 compare for dependability and of course spare parts. I don't want something that is obsolete. I'd think the Winchester 1200's and 1300's would be decent guns and parts and some accessories available?

Any and all opinions welcome.

Longbow

LB: Of the guns listed, the only one I've owned is the Winchester 1300 3" pump gun. When I upgraded to my Beretta 391 Urika I gave the Winchester to my grandson Dustin. That was 12-14yrs. ago and the shotgun is still going strong. Dustin hunts Doves, Upland game birds, ducks and geese and by the number of my reloads that go his way I know that gun gets used. Dependable, yes for sure. All that said, I don't think it would be my first choice for either of the uses you have in mind. I just spotted what I believe will be my bear gun and my next purchase. Check out the Maveric HS-12 Over-under 12ga. Fixed CylinderXCylinder 18.5 inch. The only drawback I see with it is it's light weight but them that's a plus for packing around all day in the woods. Bud's has them listed at Three and a half. U.S. With fiber-optic sights and picitiny rail over and under. Gp

I bought a new win 1200 in high school and it was a poorly built shotgun compared to the Model 12. This 1200 broke (46 years ago can't remember what broke) the 2nd or 3rd time out. LGS fixed it but i never got to shoot it again. Sold it shortly after joining Uncle Sam's canoe club in 73.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    Beautiful Ithaca Deerslayer for sale on CGN ..... seems to be a smoothbore with rifle sights .... CAD $500.- shipped .....

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...ge-500-shipped

Boolit Grand Master

gpidaho:

I have been thinking on the same lines... except I prefer a side by. Does it matter - NO! I think two fast shots in a double barrel of either type is a good choice for bears. If you need more than two you are probably done. I have been looking for a Maverick or Stoeger side by as both are affordable. Little used here, though I may look harder.

My default is back to the pump and most likely Remington or Mossberg.

The Winchester 1300 is in the right price range and I think the only drawback is possible accessories. Not that I would need much and they are probably available ~ possibly a barrel if I wanted a to et a rifled barrel, possibly stock change, possibly rifle sights. As is I can cut it down but I think I'd go the Remington 870 tactical and buy a buttstock for it or get the Mossberg 500 Slugster which really does seem like a decent buy.

I guess the Winchester 1200's are off the table and I have to think the 120's too. If they both followed the model 12 they were probably both made to be cheaper to manufacture and I am pretty sure I have heard stories like BB's re 1200's before, as in nowhere near the quality of a model 12.

I will look a bit more but I think the Remington 870 Wingmaster, Tactical and Mossberg 500 Slugster are all good deals that will get bought shortly if I don't jump on one soon.

Faustus:

Thanks for that. I'll check on shipping from Ontario to B.C. but I can't think it is terribly expensive. That Ithaca may be a nice gun but at $500.00 I think I would buy the Mossberg 3 barrel combo new. I have found it as low as $575.00 and Ellwood Epps has them for $660.00 which is lower than most prices I've seen.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    LB,
    My experience with the models you mentioned is limited to the 870, the various 500s, and the 590s. I stay away from the 870s because of the controls on the Mossbergs being better placed, and the lifter in the 870 catching your thumb as you load more shells into it, especially when wearing gloves. But mostly nowadays it’s just become muscle memory to use a 500/590. The 870 is a great gun, it’s just not for me.

As to your Slugster you found. I use one, and it’s a nice gun that does 4-6”@100 for me, depending on the day. Mine is the 24” version with a smooth bore. There have been times I wished it had a 18” barrel, but for the most part, no complaints. Now on to the 590. I love these, especially the 590A1s, but the standard 590 is also a great gun. This would be my choice. I wouldn’t put too much thought, good or bad, into the speedfeed stock. I have one of these just because it came on a shotgun I bought recently, but to be honest, I’m going to be switching it out for a overmoulded Hogue the next time I have an extra $60 or so. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that there’s any problem with it, I just don’t like it for some reason I can’t explain.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

The winchesters are aluminum receivers. I shot one practically to dust back in the day at doves. A rifled barrel or parts would be problematic. I am just the opposite from lonegun about the Mossberg. The remingtons are what I grew up with and the mossbergs are all wrong to me! Must be a reliable weapon as there are many happy users out there. The 870 does have the distinction of being the most produced shotgun of all times so parts, barrels etc are common as pig tracks in Ga. Wingmaster or Express, parts are interchangeable.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I just checked a rather large variety of used shotgun listings all across Canada and I have to say that Ellwood Epps seems to have their prices in line! I looked at dealers and private sales and found very little at lower prices than what I see at Ellwood Epps. Some about the same but few lower even in private sales.

Seriously thinking about that 500 Slugster. That seems like a good buy and good gun. I will e-mail Ellwood Epps and ask how much they charge for shipping. Not likely a deal breaker anyway.

Also thinking about the 870 tactical. Also looks like a good deal and newer bun though I am leaning into the Mossberg camp.

I'll check into these further.

Longbow

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast