Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Rifled Pump Shotgun... Advice?

Boolit Master
    Slug gun shooting has drove me crazy for at least 20 years since I moved to a no rifle for deer hunting county . I'm going to go on a little rant so be prepared ! I can use a scope mounted cross bow , scoop mounted rifled smokeless inline rifle , and a fully rifled bolt action slug rifle with a scope , but I can't use my 30-30 or a 3006 . I have spent many thousands of dollars and wasted to much time playing with slugs and buckshot over the years to come to the conclusion that if you don't practice with and know what you're firearm is capable of you are the danger not the firearm . I have seen a lot of game with wounds infected dying a miserable death , be realistic with your expectations .

Boolit Master

Here's the second group after I figured out where to put the bead. I walked it up the paster to center it. That's 2 in one hole.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1206.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	227709
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned
    Greetings, just by taking 1/2 second or 1 second more to aim will make all the difference, don't be in a rush to pull the trigger.

Boolit Master
    Longbow just to get back on topic , watcha been looking at . I think we all are enjoying helping you spend some money .

Boolit Grand Master

The AQ slugs are at Ballistic Products. Price is $17 for 25, so too expensive for target shooting.

Tripplebeards, if you ever make it out to central MN, I'll be glad to take you out to the range. I just don't think you have a sub MOA slug gun. As was posted, the best confirmed group ever shot with the ASSA was not even 3/4", and that was only a single group, not an average. I don't know why someone would think a Ruger 77/44 couldn't shoot that well. It's a proper rifle, weren't they known for surprisingly good accuracy when they came out? A slug gun just has too many variables to shoot sub MOA. If you built a gun with a proper throat, good crown, ammo that was built to fit the barrel, you could. That wouldn't be a slug gun though, that would be a rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah I think I paid $15.00 Canadian for 25 last time and that was a few years ago. Regardless, too much for target or practice. If anyone is wondering though I got sub 6" groups at 100 yards from my Browning BPS by the time I finished the box. They shot well from the beginning. I used BPI load data with Unique but... I do not recall if I kept the specifics and that's all I remember. I have the BPI load data sheets still though... lots of Unique loads.

Yes, what am I looking at? Well, currently if I go new likely a Stoeger side by coachgun or Mossberg 500 for bear use. For my shooter the jury is still out. It doesn't have to be a repeater so a good single shot platform is fine but the H&R USH is no more. I may consider a Savage 212, or Remington 870 since they seem to get good accuracy reviews. I am thinking that if I get my but in gear the used 870 Wingmaster with fully rifled barrel might not be a bad choice. The Remington 870 Superslug is nice with the heavy barrel but a bit pricey.

We'll see in a bit. More concerned with a bear gun to begin with.

Longbow

Beginners luck today. Five shot group at forty five yards Lee seven eights ounce slugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun day at the range today, just fired shotguns for a change. First time using the NEF heavy barrel rifled 12ga to shoot groups. I posted the best five round group above. A welcome surprise was that in this instance the Lee 7/8th inch slugs out shot everything else I tried including more expensive options. I fired three five shot groups using Hammerhead slug-wad combinations and best went just over seven inches the other two groups were very widely spread. This is in no way the fault of the Slugs R Us product in my opinion. Likely just my inexperience at slug loading. Some .678 RBs worked reasonably and The 370gr Lyman 50cal. Maxi in the hammerhead sabots looks like it deserves another try. In the 410 the .395 RBs worked better than the 360s using both three and four ball loads. I'll put together some more of the Lee Key Slug rounds and try them out at 100yrds. next outing as one group could be just good luck. My friend Ken Campbell over at the CBA told me "Sometimes fliers fly in" and I believe it. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    . The biggest thing is you need to have the skill to shoot sub MOA to begin with.
    This is so true!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have an 835 with cantilever scope mount in my arsenal of slug guns. Very solid weapon.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice shooting Gp! Looking good! best group or not that is a bragging group. Problem is now you have to do it again!

I just posted on another thread that so far I've done better with the Lee 1 oz. than 7/8 oz. which is opposite to what most people find. Also, both seem to shoot better when I size them to remove taper then paper patch back up to snug fit. I really believe they have too much taper.

Hahaha! I like it "Sometimes fliers fly in"... so true! that's why now you got to do it again! That's often my problem... the doing it again bit! One good group just doesn't cut it!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

I've often thought about asking Tom with Accurate molds if he would modify a Lee slug mold. There used to be a slug called the Buckbuster that shot very well for me. It was basically a straight sided Lee slug, and cavity filled with some kind of silicone or glue.

Boolit Grand Master

BT:

Where have you been?

I asked that question early on in this thread. There are some good deals on Mossbergs with 3 1/2" chambers. I think 535's though. Nonetheless, the jump to rifling is the same which was the question... how is slug accuracy with your 835? I would figure that extra jump to rifling would be detrimental to accuracy but you know what? I've been wrong a time or two before! Now that's assuming using 2 3/4" or 3" hulls. Not sure I want to be using full loaded 3 1/2" hulls when shooting for fun! I guess that's what filler wads are for. Do you use 3 1/2" hulls or does it matter?

Longbow

Rifled Pump Shotgun... Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    BT:

Where have you been?

I asked that question early on in this thread. There are some good deals on Mossbergs with 3 1/2" chambers. I think 535's though. Nonetheless, the jump to rifling is the same which was the question... how is slug accuracy with your 835? I would figure that extra jump to rifling would be detrimental to accuracy but you know what? I've been wrong a time or two before! Now that's assuming using 2 3/4" or 3" hulls. Not sure I want to be using full loaded 3 1/2" hulls when shooting for fun! I guess that's what filler wads are for. Do you use 3 1/2" hulls or does it matter?

Longbow
    LB,

I’ve extensively tested the “jump theory” and like many shotgun experts, I can’t tell the difference in accuracy from 2.75” to 3.5” hulls. Many think it’s a myth and I’m leaning towards that too.

For example, my 220 shoots tighter groups with 2.75” than it does with 3” accutips.

As far as accuracy, I’m happy with the results from my 835. I believe the newer Mossberg done away with the ported barrels which I think is a plus.

Some slugs, like lightfields and hammerheads, don’t like ported barrels. SlugRUs even out a disclaimer about ported barrels on their website.

I’ve shot hammerhead slugs side by side with my USH and while the groups where excellent out of my 835, I did notice very slight keyholing.

Last edited by Blood Trail; 09-25-2018 at 01:27 PM.

So I decide to google 3.5" slugs and came up with this off the Shotgun World website.

This guy is loading 3.5" slugs and is getting some pretty unbelievable results. And I mean "unbelievable" in the literal sense of the word! Tell me what you think.

I am sure there are other manufacturers out there loading the 3.5 inch slug. I am licensed to manufacture ammunition, so I can load and sell, the Lyman sabot slugs out of my shop. I have been doing this for about 15 years now. I have been loading the 3.5 inch lyman sabots for about 8 years now. I have one man shooting a 4 inch group at 250 yards with the 3.5 sabot slugs. No one else has tried to shoot that far that I load for. I sell them in bags of 25 for $25, so people can sight in, and still have enough slugs to hunt with. The 2.75 and 3 inch sabots I sell 25 for $20.

That is better than 99.9% of shooters can do with a scope sighted sub MOA rifle. It seems a little exaggerated to me?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I'm still working on a honest 4 inch 100 yard home made load out of a rifled slug gun .

Boolit Master

gp, great job! Just don't think you can post that group without details. I've killed a deer and three hogs with the 7/8 and they make up the bulk of my SHTF stash.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Randy: You don't think the man would stoop to telling a fib to get a sale do you? HT: Pretty darn simple just used Lee's suggested load (told you all I was new at this) LOL Rem. STS Hull, Rem 209 primer, Red Dot @ 22gr.and BPI LO78 wad, Fold crimp Seemed like plenty of a charge. The shape of the key was well indented into the wad and petals were sheared off. The gas seal looked brand new so no gas blow by.Gp

The BC of a lyman 12ga sabot slug is 0.086. I ran the numbers with 1,800 fps at 10' from the muzzle. If you zeroed at 125 yards that slug would drop almost 4' from 125 to 250 yards. The wind drift at 250 yards is also a real problem, plus at least half the flight is in the transonic and subsonic region. I guess anything is possible, think Billy Dixon at Adobe Walls, but not very likely.

Another thought is what happens to the wad/shotcup when you really push it? How much rotation of the wad is actually imparted to the slug?

BB

Boolit Grand Master

No kidding. With a mild wind of 10 MPH, the wind drift is about 4 feet at 250 yards. Maybe the guy shooting groups meant 4', but mistakenly put 4". You can certainly shoot slugs at long range for fun, I do it quite often. 200 yards is no big deal on a steel plate, and I even take it out to 300 yards. I've tried to take it out to 650 yards, but there is more luck involved at that range than anything else. While they may not be hunting accurate that far, rifled shotguns sure are fun at long range where smooth bore slugs just tumble.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast