Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 inch contender barrels-why all the hate?

Boolit Master

10 inch contender barrels-why all the hate?

Getting deep into the contender pistol game; on my forth barrel; another on the way. Anyhow most of what I read seem folks don’t like the original 10 inch barrels ; I’ve had 2 t/c factory ten inch barrels and they both shoot very well; the 357 Maximum shoots very well out to 200 yards. I don’t see any problems with them I’m sure individual barrels had problems but this particular 10 incher shoots as well of better than any handgun I’ve ever owned; and I like being able to use 357 mag on occasion in it. I just got my first super 14 barrel and it shoots well, but doesn’t seem to balance as well or look sharp as my 10 inch.
    Any of you had or know of reasons why the 10 inchers seem to be so lamented?

Boolit Master

I am not sure... I have 10" 41 mag, 30 carbine and 10mm. I like them all, now the 30 is really loud and the flash is something else. My frame is a gen 1 very 2 with an amazing trigger.

Boolit Master

10 inch barrels work great shot 27,000 round of 30/20 and probably 10,000 rounds 38 and 357 magnum also 7TCU and 223.

Boolit Grand Master

This is just my personal opinion, and I never got in the Encore/Contenders anyway, so take it for what it is worth.

A scoped encore is not a wearable handgun, it's not something you will put in a holster and forget about. An iron sighted model with a short barrel maybe, but that isn't what most hunters use. They are more or less just a legal rifle for "shotgun" only deer hunting areas. Since it's just a pistol grip rifle for deer hunting, shooting off of sandbags, why not give it more oomph. Balance is not a consideration for 95% of encore/contender owners. The 10" barrels are fine, I've shot them, and they were every bit as accurate as can be expected.

Boolit Buddy
    I have barrels in pistol version from a little over 7'' to 15''. the shorter barrels are easier to shoot off hand and the longer is better with a rest. I like the 10'' and have no problem with them as they are especially good with pistol calibers.

Boolit Master
    I have the early octogon, 10" bull and Super 14s and I have to say I prefer the 10" Bull in any caliber. I use Pachmayer grips.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    I like the 10inches also, but I don't scope them. Had a 10" 3030 that was the definition of LOUD! But it really shot well and took down rams with athority.First barrel I ever had was an octagon 44mag with the 76 winter grips, oh man did that thing recoil! A 22hornet I wish I had back, and 22lr , 357 and 256 win mag that will never leave. Oops there's a 30herrett too. Anybody got any 10inch barrels to unload, I might can help
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

10" is my personal favorite. Better balance and much easier to shoot offhand if necessary. I have several 14" barrels in varmint calibers and they are ok. Basically a short rifle at that length.

8" is alright, but honestly for any of the straightwall pistol cartridges I'd rather fire them out of a revolver at that point.

Boolit Master
    I've never experienced any of the "hate" you've mentioned about 10" Contender barrels. I have had folks dislike the octagon ones,,, as odd shaped, can't use Pachmyer forends, more felt recoil, etc. But the 10" bulls,, no complaints here,, as I have 'several."

Boolit Master
    I have no idea who you've been talking to about "all the hate", but it doesn't appear too many people "hate" them on here. Maybe you're just trying to strike up a conversation? You might have gotten some more interesting responses by asking who likes the 10" barrels and in what calibers? I've owned several Contenders over the last thirty years and I've had lots of barrels for them. For hunting purposes and shooting Production Class IHMSA Silhouette I've used 10" and they shot very, very well. I only used the 14" for Unlimited Class in IHMSA and those barrels didn't actually shoot any better than the 10". If you're hearing people say that they "hate" the shorter barrels you might start hanging around with a more knowledgeable crowd.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I like the 10"ers. The 221 FB is a very useable varmint small game fixture and the 41, 44, 45 all reach out past revolver range easily. I only own 1 14" and it is a custom, probably one of a kind.

Super Moderator

I've had a number of 10" barrels over the years. The only one that was unsatisfactory to me was a 7x30 Waters, it just wouldn't shoot anything worth a darn. Not sure why... T/C ended up replacing it with a Super 14 at no charge. Currently I have only one 10" barrel, in 357 Mag and it's just fine. All the rest are all 14", mostly in rifle calibers, and scoped. There's no hate here for 10" barrels, I just prefer the 14" for my use. I mainly shoot silhouette, varmints, and long range target with them.

I've got several different sizes and love my 10" 22 mag and 10" hornet. I like my 14" 44 Mag for Deer hunting. I guess I'm fine with my 10" 7tcu also. These are my core four. I've had several others and these are the ones I have kept while others come and go. I do like the longer barrels for the larger calibers.

Boolit Master

If you shoot a10inc 44 magnum the
    Octagon barrel with a full house load you will hate it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I have no idea who you've been talking to about "all the hate", but it doesn't appear too many people "hate" them on here. Maybe you're just trying to strike up a conversation? You might have gotten some more interesting responses by asking who likes the 10" barrels and in what calibers? I've owned several Contenders over the last thirty years and I've had lots of barrels for them. For hunting purposes and shooting Production Class IHMSA Silhouette I've used 10" and they shot very, very well. I only used the 14" for Unlimited Class in IHMSA and those barrels didn't actually shoot any better than the 10". If you're hearing people say that they "hate" the shorter barrels you might start hanging around with a more knowledgeable crowd.
    I have read on this site about it some folks not liking the 10’s; had a hard time selling or trading my 10 inch 44 mag. Mike Bellum say something on his site that the original 10 inch T/C barrels were a bad joke and that has not been my experience. I will that 44 mag did have more felt recoil to me than any other barrel I’ve yet shot; don’t know why the 10 inch 357 max is tame by comparison.

Boolit Master

I have a 7 1/2" Encore barrel. It's in 300 BO, threaded and I do use a suppressor with it. It is a full 1" bull, feels like shooting a 22 with subs in it. Very fun to shoot. Many years ago I had a 10" 357 Max Contender barrel that I quite enjoyed, but the blast from it was pretty horrendous with 125gr XTP's loaded to the gills.

Boolit Bub
    Having had everything from the early 8+ inch octogans to the super 16, will admit my preference is 10”, much longer and its seriously a sandbag/rest style gun for most people, but 5he 10” or shorter can handle excellently offhand.

Moderator Emeritus

Look up Junior1942's old site and see his sling system if you want a better carry. I have 10". 12" 14" and 23" contender bbls and they all do fine.
    http://www.castbullet.com/index.htm
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I have shoulder holster for a 10" iron sight rig.
    A chest rig for a scoped 10" setup.
    And a sling for a 14" scoped rig.
    I used a 6ft walking staff with a lanyard at the 5ft point, to use as a standing rest.

I have scoped 14" bbl's in .35REM & 7mmTCU.
    A 10"bbl in .357MAXIMUM with a Red Dot.
    And 2 iron sighted 10"bbl's in .44MAG & .22HORNET.

What the heck is wrong with a 10" bbl ? As long as the caliber is efficient enough. I mean that's why STEVE HERRETT & BOB MILEK developed the .30Herrett & .357Herrett. Besides a 10" bbl with iron sights is the only setup you can still shoot off hand. Add a scope or some more bbl length and you'll need arms like Dwayne Johnson to hold it steady.

I shoot my 10" bbl's more then 4 or 5 times as much as the scoped 14" bbl's.

If ya look down on 10" bbl's, then you're too dumb to know what you're missing.

As far as an ENCORE go's, just be honest and but a buttstock and longer bbl on it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    The issue that gets over looked is how a particular cartridge is suited to a given barrel length in my opinion.

Smaller cartridges in relation to bore size are better suited to shorter barrel lengths than more voluminous cases.

This is in general because the other 1000 pound gorilla in the equation is how well a particular barrel is made and how well it and your frame “agree” with one another.

With handguns in general, I like balance and packability. Long barrels don’t fit that but they offer other advantages. This why choice is good. Something for everybody!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 09-12-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast