RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ness Safety Bullet (H&G#38)

NoZombies- that is COOL. Any chance you could post those pics to the current group buy linked above? I've been contemplating if swaging the nose on this boolit would be feasible to improve feeding characteristics through magazine fed guns. Based on your results is sure is! Do you think an appropriately shaped top punch could pull this off, or is dedicated swaging equipment needed? Would be very cool if Mihec could include a special top punch in the buy for a nominal up-charge (wink-wink--nudge-nudge)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KVO View Post
    NoZombies- that is COOL. Any chance you could post those pics to the current group buy linked above? I've been contemplating if swaging the nose on this boolit would be feasible to improve feeding characteristics through magazine fed guns. Based on your results is sure is! Do you think an appropriately shaped top punch could pull this off, or is dedicated swaging equipment needed? Would be very cool if Mihec could include a special top punch in the buy for a nominal up-charge (wink-wink--nudge-nudge)
    Sorry for being unresponsive, we got hit by michael and we're still without power and internet... sitting in a parking lot trying to catch up a little bit at the moment...

I'll post in the other thread when I'm back online, or if you want, feel free to quote my post there.

I used a corbin die and press. I suspect a nose punch could round the nose over some, but a full swage wouldn't be practical. Long bullets tend to bend in unsupported areas and become either completely unusable or at the least terribly inaccurate due to imbalance in my experience.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    One of the things that I've done with mine is half fill the cavity with grease, then swage it into a pointed bullet. The grease keeps the cavity open inside the bullet, the swaging seals it in, and when it hits anything, the trapped grease makes them explode the same as an unmodified version does when hitting a jug of water. It's very satisfying to watch.

I got the idea from the anecdotal references to the old timers doing this (or something similar) with these bullets. I tried swaging without the grease, but it seemed like the cavity was collapsing more than I thought it should.

Way too cool. I will have to try that.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    One of the things that I've done with mine is half fill the cavity with grease, then swage it into a pointed bullet. The grease keeps the cavity open inside the bullet, the swaging seals it in, and when it hits anything, the trapped grease makes them explode the same as an unmodified version does when hitting a jug of water. It's very satisfying to watch.

I got the idea from the anecdotal references to the old timers doing this (or something similar) with these bullets. I tried swaging without the grease, but it seemed like the cavity was collapsing more than I thought it should.

Do you have any more info on doing this? I was going to see about getting some die(s?) from BTSniper for doing this. It would be my first attempt at swaging.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12