Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Think We Are Ready For Hurricane Florence. Wish Us Luck

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Wouldn't hurt to refill any prescription meds that are close to time.
    Did that today too!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I’m on Parris Island. My house is 100 yards from the water. Yep, I put up the shutters, loaded the vehicles with important stuff, and am beating feet to Washington, GA.

Boolit Master
    I don’t think I would try and hunker down a cat 4 hurricane, kinda remindes me of the song, How highs the water mama.

Vendor Sponsor

Estimated rain accumulation, this is Monday, could shift a bit by Thursday, but the totals won't change by much...

Attachment 226940
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

do you got the cargo ratchet straps that go over your roof from front yard to backyard, those things look cool.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Wishing you guys in the storms path the best of luck. Stay in touch and let us know how you make it. Wow, those names bring back memories! I think I was too young for Camille but I worked Hugo and several others. Batten down the hatches!

Boolit Master
    When we bought the house here in Louisiana I cut pressure treated 2x4" and set one on each side of the window frame. Used 3" tapcon concrete screws 22 years later they are still in great shape. Since we have a lot of windows and doors measured and cut and numbered each section of 3/8th plywood and those are screwed in with 1 1/4" coarse drywall screws. All these years later no windows or doors have been damaged by either wind or rain. Have an old charcoal grill and 32 pounds of charcoal for it. I changed out the Coleman white gas lanterns for battery ones. getting gassed in the dark when the lights go out isn't funny. Have a two burner propane cylinder stove so can cook out back. generator is 6000 watts which is enough to power all the refrigerators, one large 3' industrial fan, some lights and the boob tube. My over 40 year old Zenith Transoceaniac radio I inherited from my dad when he passed. 8-d cells or 120vac. I have 3 12 volt low amp batteries that I rotate on a small charger that can be used for the radio. I'm considering getting one of the newer smaller gennys for my Bipap machine although the bigger one can carry that small a load. Made up a 4 outlet junction box by splitting the 240 that comes off the big genny and that one will do most of the electrical needs. As I near 72 again considering a whole house natural gas generator. Since the house is all electric this would be a good deal as well. Humping a 450 pound 6000watt genny and messing around with gasoline for me is kinda getting old. Ain't gonna be cheap and the gas company already disconnected the feed into the gas meter so probably connection fee in there. All my electrical services are all located on the one sheltered side of the house so really minimal conduit runs. I was told I'm in my golden years HAH!. Seems lately all I do is fix stuff. Have a good selection of electric power tools 3 drills,one battery, 2citculating saws,1 recrprocating saw, plenty of pressure treated wood, screws and nails 3 hammers. Gas chainsaw with extra gas stabiliizer bunch of gas cans and can always siphon gas out of the trucK which holds 23 gallons. Food is good so as long as we have juice were good. My Kubota L3800 tractor runs on diesel so normally keep 30 gallong in case of an emergency. Big enough to either two away big branches /tree limbs or scoop the smaller ones up in the bucket. Now all this stuff wasn't aquired 123. Over the years we've learned what works and what don't. And purchased what would be our hurricane prep stuff. Extra oil and gas filters and oil and diesel fuel filters and a couple spare diesel fuel filters as well as 2 gallons engine oil. And the usual hand tools like rakes, shovels,hoes, axes and chainsaw. Sounds like a lot of stuff and to tell the truth it is. Oh yeah,cannot forget my hound so he gets and extra large bag of dog food and a case of alpo. I keep at least 6 one gallon jugs of distilled water for my bipap machine. And of course one case of bud. Anything else you bring your own bottle. Any arguements and out the door I don't care who you are. i carry as soon as the storm front hits so to dissuade some lowlife from making off with any of my stuff. The genny is tied down and locked to the pressure treated camping table the table weighs over 400 pounds. Over kill??, don't think so. Frank

Boolit Man

90 miles from Wilmington, as well prepped as can be-and better than we were for Matthew.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I’ll pray for you. It looks like Wilmington is going to get the business.

Banned
    There are two stages to hurricanes: The actual storm itself and the aftermath.

The danger during the storm is: the storm surge if you're near the coast, the flooding from the rain if you're inland and the wind.

After the storm it's just freaking annoying: no mains electricity, trees down, lack of phone & internet service, limited local supplies, etc.

You have to survive the first stage and just endure the second one.

Boolit Master
    Will say a prayer for everyone that they stay safe.
    jim

Boolit Buddy

Good luck to all. Stay safe

Moderator Emeritus

For folks thinking of using gas in vehicles for emergency, it is not as easy as it used to be to obtain the gas. I figured same thing after a storm that just get gas from my truck. Unless you installed a valve or have the fuel pump rigged the fuel systems are anti siphon. Good luck

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I’m on Parris Island. My house is 100 yards from the water. Yep, I put up the shutters, loaded the vehicles with important stuff, and am beating feet to Washington, GA.
    What do the Recruits on PI do when a storm is headed that way?
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    When we bought the house here in Louisiana I cut pressure treated 2x4" and set one on each side of the window frame. Used 3" tapcon concrete screws 22 years later they are still in great shape. Since we have a lot of windows and doors measured and cut and numbered each section of 3/8th plywood and those are screwed in with 1 1/4" coarse drywall screws. All these years later no windows or doors have been damaged by either wind or rain. Have an old charcoal grill and 32 pounds of charcoal for it. I changed out the Coleman white gas lanterns for battery ones. getting gassed in the dark when the lights go out isn't funny. Have a two burner propane cylinder stove so can cook out back. generator is 6000 watts which is enough to power all the refrigerators, one large 3' industrial fan, some lights and the boob tube. My over 40 year old Zenith Transoceaniac radio I inherited from my dad when he passed. 8-d cells or 120vac. I have 3 12 volt low amp batteries that I rotate on a small charger that can be used for the radio. I'm considering getting one of the newer smaller gennys for my Bipap machine although the bigger one can carry that small a load. Made up a 4 outlet junction box by splitting the 240 that comes off the big genny and that one will do most of the electrical needs. As I near 72 again considering a whole house natural gas generator. Since the house is all electric this would be a good deal as well. Humping a 450 pound 6000watt genny and messing around with gasoline for me is kinda getting old. Ain't gonna be cheap and the gas company already disconnected the feed into the gas meter so probably connection fee in there. All my electrical services are all located on the one sheltered side of the house so really minimal conduit runs. I was told I'm in my golden years HAH!. Seems lately all I do is fix stuff. Have a good selection of electric power tools 3 drills,one battery, 2citculating saws,1 recrprocating saw, plenty of pressure treated wood, screws and nails 3 hammers. Gas chainsaw with extra gas stabiliizer bunch of gas cans and can always siphon gas out of the trucK which holds 23 gallons. Food is good so as long as we have juice were good. My Kubota L3800 tractor runs on diesel so normally keep 30 gallong in case of an emergency. Big enough to either two away big branches /tree limbs or scoop the smaller ones up in the bucket. Now all this stuff wasn't aquired 123. Over the years we've learned what works and what don't. And purchased what would be our hurricane prep stuff. Extra oil and gas filters and oil and diesel fuel filters and a couple spare diesel fuel filters as well as 2 gallons engine oil. And the usual hand tools like rakes, shovels,hoes, axes and chainsaw. Sounds like a lot of stuff and to tell the truth it is. Oh yeah,cannot forget my hound so he gets and extra large bag of dog food and a case of alpo. I keep at least 6 one gallon jugs of distilled water for my bipap machine. And of course one case of bud. Anything else you bring your own bottle. Any arguements and out the door I don't care who you are. i carry as soon as the storm front hits so to dissuade some lowlife from making off with any of my stuff. The genny is tied down and locked to the pressure treated camping table the table weighs over 400 pounds. Over kill??, don't think so. Frank
    It sounds like you are well prepared. You have used your experience to learn what you need and have prepared. I hope you guys don't get hit too hard.

When I retired from the electric company we bought a generator. I had to return the bucket truck! I considered all of the choices and decided on a 22KW whole house unit fueled by natural gas/propane. You can get one for around $5000 with a transfer switch. I did the electrical myself and the plumbing cost me around $200. I considered other options but in the end I did not want the hassle of storing, setting up and fueling a portable. I could see that getting old quickly.

Boolit Master
    Evac to Albany

Banned

I have a 22kw whole house unit as well. Propane does not go bad and it has its own dedicated tank. Will go two weeks plus continuous and a long time off and on to keep the fridge and freezer cold. Also have a small Honda generator for worst case for lights and entertainment. Continously prepping so there will be no panic buying of anything. God Bless and God Speed to you all.

Boolit Master
    I didn’t even pack all the guns, lol.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Where is the BOAT? Went through Carla, was a mess.
    Boat...
    That was my first thought. If I was gonna hunker down, ....and with the amount of rain they are talking about...and the possibility of the storm 'stalling', I'd want a decent sized flat bottom boat with a small outboard motor.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I pray God's protection for all of you in the path of that storm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast