MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: USPS- Good Job

Boolit Master

USPS- Good Job

I know people like to complain about the USPS, and I have had my share of issues. Many, many issues.
    But plenty of times they do a great job.

I just placed 2 orders Saturday and they were in my mailbox today (monday). From Las Vegas and from California to Illinois.

I don't think you could get any better than that.

So even for all the issues I have had with them, if I am honest I would have to say overall I am very pleased with their service.

It is just easy to forget all the times things went right and complain about when they go wrong.

Just don't get me started on the newer mail sorting system. It would take the same amount of time for me to mail a letter to the next town as it did to get packages from across the country.
    Not sure, it might take the same amount of time for a letter mailed to travel across town, never checked. Probably since they don't do any sorting locally, it gets trucked to to a sorting center an hour away.

Great efficiency there.

Matt

Boolit Grand Master

Overall I have been pleased with their service. I have noticed that the service in a small town seems to be better than in larger towns. I really like their flat rate boxes.

Boolit Grand Master

I ordered some gourmet chocolates for my wife's 55th last monday. They were FedEx'd with USPS final mile. Rush shipment marked perishable which considering the 90 weather makes sense. Well, they showed 100 miles away on Thursday. Sat there till Saturday then came to the local this morning and got delivered. They were hanging on the door knob in the sun when I got home today. Sure glad I paid extra for that service.

At $75 for the candy I'm a little miffed to say the least
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Amazon Sunday delivery......

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    even a blin d pig will find an acorn now and then.

Well, I used USPS for 3+ years now to ship my primercatcher thingies and they lost only two packages (out of about 2000), some were delayed a few days, but overall, for what it costs me to ship things in the U.S., I cannot complain too much either.

Different story with the service quality in the local USPS store...
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Still in South Texas---about 100 miles north of Laredo.
    Must agree with Matt and Lightman. I,too, received a package sent from North Caroling on Saturday, to my home on Monday
    AM, and in completely good shape, as opposed to some I have received in the past. Thank God for the improvement.
    Pumpkin, aka Marvin

Boolit Buddy
    I've never had any negative experiences with any of the major carriers. I get a little ticked off when Fedex smartpost and UPS mail innovations do the shuffle around the country with my package for a week. I ordered a couple items from MidwayUSA ten days ago and it still isn't here. They are a 4 hour drive away from me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    I know people like to complain about the USPS, and I have had my share of issues. Many, many issues.
    But plenty of times they do a great job.

I just placed 2 orders Saturday and they were in my mailbox today (monday). From Las Vegas and from California to Illinois.

I don't think you could get any better than that.

So even for all the issues I have had with them, if I am honest I would have to say overall I am very pleased with their service.

It is just easy to forget all the times things went right and complain about when they go wrong.

Just don't get me started on the newer mail sorting system. It would take the same amount of time for me to mail a letter to the next town as it did to get packages from across the country.
    Not sure, it might take the same amount of time for a letter mailed to travel across town, never checked. Probably since they don't do any sorting locally, it gets trucked to to a sorting center an hour away.

Great efficiency there.

Matt
    The reason everyone's mail now goes to a central sorting center is because it all gets scanned front & back, x-rayed & logged for the NSA. Then your mail sorted & routed and sent on it's way.

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    The reason everyone's mail now goes to a central sorting center is because it all gets scanned front & back, x-rayed & logged for the NSA. Then your mail sorted & routed and sent on it's way.
    I doubt that very much. Mail can be searched, but it takes a warrant to do so. A warrant requires probably cause like a bomb etc.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

My latest inconvenience by USPS involves the empty magazine cover I received Monday. Now I realize it's not valuable but they contracted to deliver the whole thing. Just like the WANGE (sp) pot that
    was delivered to the wrong St. I knew of this parallel address because it's happened several times.
    It's not uncommon for me to re-deliver my neighbor's mail, nor they mine.
    I, now am dealing with the third mail delivery person + all the substitutes. Only one of them could dependably do the job accurately. I seldom mail packages but the results are the same. I had to replace a 65# MFRB of lead after the first got lost for 7 weeks at the regional sorting office. The so-called ins was worthless like the tracking numbers and the post master. It was finally delivered intact, a week after the replacement package.
    BTW I can see the local PO (2 blocks away) from my front yard.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I doubt that very much. Mail can be searched, but it takes a warrant to do so. A warrant requires probably cause like a bomb etc.
    Your mail isn't being searched. It's being recorded and tracked. The information on the outside is public for sure.

https://consumerist.com/2013/07/03/f...ail-for-years/

This goes back to the Patriot Act. This is an exert from another article I found. ... Before cameras and computers, postal workers would have to sort all mail by hand, making best guesses on illegible writing and trying to keep all correspondence in the right batches. These days, multiline OCR readers let the USPS sort thousands of pieces of mail per minute.

OCR software automatically extracts the text on an envelope and imports it into a database for later sorting and analysis. After the anthrax and ricin incidents, the USPS was able to track the pieces of mail before and after the contaminated letters to narrow down the source.

The topic of mail privacy was debated as recently as 2006. During his tenure in office, President Bush attached a signing statement to a reform bill that allowed federal authorities to ask for all mail cover data and even to open your mail without approval. His administration argued that the Patriot Act enabled the government to intercept USPS deliveries in "exigent circumstances, such as to protect human life and safety against hazardous materials, and the need for physical searches specifically authorized by law for foreign intelligence." Sen. Charles Schumer criticized Bush at the time, saying that the action was a direct contradiction of our established mail protection laws and to the Constitution. Whether or not our USPS mail is being routinely opened today under a similar program is still not clear.

They can search if it is hit on by a dog or they see something funny in a xray of it. The packages will have tape saying they have been searched by USPS. I don't see a lot of searched packages but do see them every once in a while, and they are usually from a foreign country. I do know that if contraband is found a lot of times the postal inspectors deliver the package and arrest whoever accepts it.