Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How about this powder

Boolit Master
    We just got our first serious rain since June 26 yesterday so the monsoons are coming. I will keep you informed.

Boolit Master
    I tried it in my Lyman and it did not do well, but, that is probably due to my rifle and load. I shoot 450gn PP conicals that do not have any friction when seated. The mfg of BlackMZ suggests a good compressed charge. I can put a veggie wad down and put pressure on the powder charge, but, there is no compression once the bullet is 'gently' seated. So, I get larger groups, ie, 5-6". OK for short range hunting, not so good for me.

I've been using it for the last 3 years in my inline. It works fine, I've shot several deer using it. I haven't or would use it in my flintlocks.
    It does burn very clean and clean up is a breeze.
    Last edited by Flintlock1812; 09-16-2018 at 06:04 PM.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not
    "Thomas Jefferson"

FFFg in the pan and under the main charge of substitute?
    I've read that people do that to stretch their more expensive black supply.
    But, I'm leery of duplex loading... probably pointless caution on my part.

Banned

I have 6 cans and in the end, all of them I had to dump out and gently crush up these huge chunks. Powder is still accurate out to 100 yards but not the same accuracy as with pyrodex. But for $10, I shall keep on buying and shooting!

Boolit Master
    I still haven't had the chance to do the "pile on the porch" test to see how fast the BlackMZ draws out moisture from the air but I did use it in my 50 Cal. sidelock with PRB for the first time after making sure it was ready to hunt with 3f Goex. After three shots in a row without cleaning it was definitely easier to get the third PRB down the bore with the BlackMZ than the first ball just like in the 45 with PRB. It also was again a bit more accurate than with 3F at 41 yards. This is food for thought out in the field since it would reduce what I need to carry in the possibles bag.

Boolit Master
    I will have to give it a try, for $10 why not?
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post

I have 6 cans and in the end, all of them I had to dump out and gently crush up these huge chunks. Powder is still accurate out to 100 yards but not the same accuracy as with pyrodex. But for $10, I shall keep on buying and shooting!
    Have you tried dehydrating that stuff??

APP can also form clumps inside of a new sealed container.
    The clump can often be broken up by simply shaking the container.
    APP clumps are usually pretty fragile and can be easily broken apart.
    Even black powder has some moisture in it right from the factory which is desirable and can actually make the powder more potent.
    Perhaps this powder clumps because it's a fruit sugar based powder.
    Since all 6 containers had clumps, it sounds like most all were still new & sealed.
    If someone were to leave a container open and it absorbed too much moisture from the air, them maybe dehydrating it would help.
    But if it's a newly opened can of powder and it ignites and performs well, then I wouldn't try to alter the factory spec's when there may not be anything wrong with it
    and it may not ever clump up again.
    Last edited by arcticap; 09-26-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Banned
    These clumps I had to use a small section of wood and gently crush them apart. It wasn't hard, but it was needed as the shaking method would not work. The powder shoots well, even at 100 yards, but no where as good as Pyrodex P in my rifles. But guess what? At $10 a lb, I will be buying more of it as it fills my needs to just go out and make smoke and enjoy my rifles and save the real black powder for hunting or even rendezvous shoots.

Boolit Master
    I gave the BlackMZ the moisture/humidity test. I set a small pile of it outside on a paper towel on the covered porch for five days of fog and 90+% humidity. The powder was caked and spongy but when I set a match to the paper towel, the powder ignited as it should when the flame got to it. It clearly doesn't draw moisture out of the air like either 3F Goex or Pyrodex P. I am in the middle of muzzleloader deer season now so won't make a switch from 3F but next year I might use BlackMZ for hunting and save my 3F for rendezvous. The local blacktail deer probably won't care.

Boolit Master
    I have used it in everything from .32 up to 11 gauge shotgun. It seems to like the heavier projectiles. The heavier they were, the more velocity per grain wt. I didn't get a chance to test out the velocity in .32 and .36 (didn't bring the chrono those times) but accuracy was good. It leaves no residue. I shot it all afternoon out dove hunting and never wiped the bore even once. Come to think of it, never wiped the bore one time while testing it out with rifles. It is slower than 777 but no crud ring to deal with. Try not to play it up too much though or they are going to raise the price!

Boolit Master
    Had that clumping thing too but shaking the cans cleared it up. Doesn't seem right but still performed the same velocity wise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12