Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Dillon XL650 spent primer catcher

Dillon XL650 spent primer catcher

Hello Folks,

Have any of you found an after-market spent primer catcher that works better than the OE unit? My XL650 throws spent primers all over the place. Probably half don't even go near the catch bin.

Thanks, Tom

Moderator Emeritus

I had same (most annoying) experience. My solution was two-fold: For the Dillon, I cut a piece of paper-thin aluminum stock which I rubber-cemented to Dillon cup, as high as I could get it to stock cup's back and sides. This works 100% of the time, albeit it sometimes requires a tad of jiggling to remove the cup -- back aluminum stock piece does contact press. My other solution was to use a 2nd press with an RCBS universal decapping die -- an old single stage Pacific -- to do ALL my decapping. I got OCD in primer pocket cleaning, as well as new primer seating -- for which I use a RCBS bench primer seater -- so my Dillon is not used for primer removal hardly at all, presently. Another big "plus" is, in addition to primer removal using press, I noted a lot of grit, dust, and dirt is removed from case -- using the 2nd press for primer removal keeps my Dillon SIGNIFICANTLY cleaner.
    However, for a Dillon improvement, try the thin aluminum stock glued on trick. It works for me. (Perhaps later I can go down to den, snap a picture, and add it here)
    geo

Boolit Master
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Buddy
    https://entirelycrimson.com/collecti...-dillon-xl-650

I have this one and for 12$ I does a good job and routes the primers down to a large bottle bellow my bench. There are a few on eBay for not much more that come with a catch bottle, tubing and bracket.

Boolit Buddy
    I've took 308 case, cutoff the head, then made series of cuts about 1/4" long and made "petals" out of it. Put it in place of factory catcher add some vinyl tubing which redirect all spent primers to soda bottle. Never spent primer on the floor.

Boolit Mold
    I bought one on ebay from a seller called dillonupgrades. This model only works without the strong mount. Simple mount with a tube that goes into a jar. It's the 3rd one I've tried and the only one that worked like it should. It was around $15-20 with shipping IIRC. The other ones I tried were around $5 and real cheap plactic. This is a strong plastic or vinyl and has worked like a champ for probably 15k rounds.

Boolit Bub
    I definitely need to upgrade my 650 primer catcher, I still get primers on the floor.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the ones from dillonupgrade they have a web site also , I like the one for the non strong mount better and I use it with
    strong mount . It comes with a longer hose and a cap adapter to screw on a coke type bottle to collect the spent primers, I just set the bottle on the floor. I also drilled a hole under the press through the bench to feed the hose through
    I tried the strong mount version ,I found I had to deal with a kink hose
    they also sell a live primer catch system that catches the primer in a little bottle
    ,they detail photos on there web site

I got this one from ebay some years ago and it works flawlessly, collects both fired and unfired primers. fired primers fall through the tube on the right and down into a water bottle attached to the bench and unfired primers collect in the small bottle. Very efficient. Unfortunately I cannot remember from whom I got it.

Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    My solution was two-fold: For the Dillon, I cut a piece of paper-thin aluminum stock which I rubber-cemented to Dillon cup, as high as I could get it to stock cup's back and sides.
    This sounds like a good idea, but I wasn't able to get it to work. The catchment funnel on my XL650 isn't even close to the exit port on the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsman View Post
    I use the ones from dillonupgrade they have a web site also , I like the one for the non strong mount better
    This afternoon I ordered one of these.

Thanks all.