Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Jackets

Boolit Buddy

LuckyDawg13 that trap should take care of any other nest in your area too.

I have had my run in's with those buggers.

Fire is my preferred weapon.

Where you can not use fire I have used a older vacumn cleaner with a steel wand. Turn it on and set it over the hole. You can feel when you stop getting flyers, nothing coming up the tube.

You will likely have to do some careful pruning on that plant to get to where you can see the hole.

A mixture of water and dawn does indeed work. If you have a good mister you can use it as a self defense tool.

I sucked the hole nest into a vacumn once, then sprayed bug killer in it, taped it up and set it in the sun for 2 days. No more buzz.

Use your head, think things through, protective clothing, etc.

Boolit Master

OK just made a trap even had some chicken meat so i put it about 3 ft from the nest i think i did not see any of them out I hope it
    worksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180910_074209_resized.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	226904
    Last edited by LUCKYDAWG13; 09-10-2018 at 08:45 AM.
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

I wait until dark & spray auto brake clean into the hole and plug, if it gets on them it will kill almost instantly and the fumes will nock out any surviors

FME brake clean will kill about any bug in a few seconds (except stink bugs they don't even slow down even if sprayed directly on several times!

Banned

I have done this more than once. Simple. Get a can of Wasp/Yellow Jacket spray.
    Study the entrance/exit holes in the light of day so you know where to spray.
    Spray the entire can down all entrance/exit holes at night.
    Next day a few survivors
    A few days later, they all gone.
    Simple
    If you have a small area to protect around the house, put traps out in the spring. The females die before nests are ever started.
    The guy in the video is a stud. I could never stand around in near a nest and do testing like he did. Cool as a Cucumber. His method workks. I use the WHY traps in the spring and early summer as they get all the stinging insects. Top chamber for wasps, bottom for yellow jackets. Even the cheap throwaway plastic bag traps fill up with yellow jackets.
    Last edited by jmort; 09-10-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Super Moderator

I also use the simple approach^^^. The long distance "Wasp Killer" spray works well on them. If sprayed on the entrance, the yellowjackets will bring it down the hole and it will kill the entire nest. BTW, around here we call them "Meat Bees". They are a terror when you are trying to dress out a game animal. They gnaw off big chunks of flesh and fly off with it.

Banned

Yes indeed, they are meat bees. The traps do nothing to the nest. Got to get the nest. Had a big problem in the So. Cal mountians. Could not feed the dogs outside as those Son's of Belial would come running right on cue. After determined effort, i cleared them out and could resume outside dog feeding and BBQs. Well worth the small amount of time involved in prevention and killing.

Very timely info, I have a nest next to the foundation of the house so fire is definitely out. I've already used two cans of foaming wasp spray with little effect. I even tried to cover the hole with dirt but the little ******** dug another one. Looking at rain for the next few days but when things dry up I'll give it another go.

Banned
    Don't set traps unless you already have a problem, a trap will attract pest from other areas

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    Very timely info, I have a nest next to the foundation of the house so fire is definitely out. I've already used two cans of foaming wasp spray with little effect. I even tried to cover the hole with dirt but the little ******** dug another one. Looking at rain for the next few days but when things dry up I'll give it another go.
    Do not use a foaming spray. I have enough experience to know that a single can will solve the problem. I bet what you have done is enough unless you are 10 days later and no effect. It is not an instant deal, but my experience is 90% plus are gone in the morning and the rest just go away/die within a couple few days. I use the Spectracide Wasp and Hornet two pack from Walmart. "27 Foot Jet Spray." Cheap. The foam may not have penetrated. The jet spray do penetrate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Don't set traps unless you already have a problem, a trap will attract pest from other areas
    I agree. If you have no problem why do anything. Not to unecessarily argue the point, but so what? They dead. As I said do it in the Spring/ early Summer to get the females. That has been proven for me to greatly reduce the problem with very little time or effort.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used the vacuum cleaner method also. Used a shop vac for it. put 6"-8" of water dish soap in the tank and turn on place hose over hole, we modified a large plastic funnel to fit the hose giving larger opening. suck bees into the vac let run when done for awhile as the bees will need some time to tire and fall into water. a rag may stop them from coming out but the vacuum is for sure.

Boolit Master

well just went to have a look in hopes of seeing hundreds of dead Wasp well i got 2

Banned
    When I find them cutting the yard, I wire the mower handle to the ON position and push it over the hole fun to listen to and watch.

Was shooting at a friends place a couple days ago and there were yellowjackets and wasps at the end of the table. I ignored them and they didn't bother me. they were more interested in each other. By the time I got done shooting, the wasps were still there but no yellow jackets. I though that was pretty cool. I have worked around wasps for 30 years and never been stung by one (they have bit me a couple times which does hurt a little but no residual like a yellow jackets/hornet sting.

Boolit Master

Ok went and picked up some jet spray hornet killer going to give that a try in a few days when I'm off of work
    thanks for all the tips wish me luck

Banned

I would sacrifice the plant to find the nest, if careful observation in the evening won't enable you to find it. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with warm water. Add Dawn dish liquid till it's to the point the solution has a bit of cling to it. Dowse the nest. It's important to add the soap after the water. You don't want suds. You're making wasp napalm, without the fire.

It suffocates and poisons them at the same time, because their respiratory system works through their skin.
    Last edited by frankenfab; 09-10-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Yea, them buggers in a basement window well - spray and run like they are after you. But I could run fast at 5 yrs old, can't do that now. All I seem to get now is those crazy mud dobbers.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

Former neighbor had a huge nest, hospitalized one of his kids with over 100 stings. He mixed gas and diesel and dumped it down the holes(4 we could see) then backed off and tossed in a road flare. Had fire coming out of a dozen holes and it did kill them off.

Boolit Buddy
    Wait til it's good and dark. One teacup full of gas down the entrance. One shovel full of dirt on top of it. You'll hear a ferocious buzzing and they'll all be dead in less than a minute. No need to light it, the fumes sink and kill everything from top to bottom. I've done this many times, they are a regular occurrence around my place.

Brakeclean, starter fluid, carb cleaner and if they’re really bad, mix a little styrofoam, diesel and Palmolive dish soap, let it sit overnight, if the styrofoam hasn’t dissolved fully add just a little gas. Pour that in the hole and around the area, it’ll stick to everyone of them! As I understand it they breathe through their bodies and the better things stick and the oiler the mix, the sooner it plugs their pours and kills them.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast