Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Jackets

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    the ones i had you could hit them with the wasp killer knock them down and they would get up and sting you.

Boolit Master

Well i think i got them I took my catfish fishing pole that has 60 lb test fishing line on it and made a cast into the Yucca plant with a
    snag Hook and shook the hell out of it from a safe distance and had my son spot for me just one flew out kinda slow so i walked up to the nest and saw that part of it was out of the hole so I'm thinking that when i was pulling weeds that i pulled part of the nest out
    too strange thing not a lot of dead bees around the nest i saw some but not the numbers I was hoping for but still going to give it
    a few days before i mow the lawn anyway thanks for all the tips
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

Next time will be a piece of cake. The dead ones are below ground.

Boolit Master

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they are need to pick up a bag of dirt to fill the hole up that the dug

Boolit Grand Master

Glad everything worked out. Thanks for the update

Boolit Master

I had a nest in the seat of out pontoon boat once. I set a shop vac at the opening to suck in the little devils and switched it on and left it for a while, I went back to pound on the boat occasionally. Then I moved the boat to another location, it worked pretty well. Don't open the shop vac right away though. Gasoline and a shovel and a match after dark also have worked well for me, but not on the boat.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

We used to make a cocktail of half gas and half diesel. Pour into hole. Wait 2 minutes. Throw lit ball of newspaper on top. Kablaam!!!

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I have seen them before what kind is it
    Golden Orb garden spider - we have one in the back yard. Glad she is there.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Yellow jackets are as dangerous or probably much moreso than a rattlesnake, and I do not exaggerate here! When I was growing up, and very occasionally since then, we'd read of a farmer on his tractor or a man on a bulldozer hitting a jacket nest, and before they or their slow vehicles could get out of range, they'd swarm him and sting him repeatedly - they're not like honey bees which can only sting once! - and they'd die before anyone could find them or get them to the hospital. And folks didn't carry epipens back then, either.

And it's very hard to avoid their nests. Often, the only sign they have above ground is a small hole that leads down into their nests. I once was stalking along a slope next to a creek, looking for a deer. Thought I heard one and squatted down, and sat there a few minutes. All of a sudden, I felt like a red hot poker was being pressed to the center of my left butt cheek! Then I heard the buzzing! I've never been a really great runner, but I believe I set a record that day. My truck was about 300 yds. away, and I reached it much more quickly than it'd taken for my little stalk. And even at that distance, some of them followed me. I don't know how they do it, but they can do that. BAD BIZZNISS!!!! They deserve more respect and caution than they often get! Insects kill WAY more folks every year than poisonous or constrictor snakes ever could. A statistic worth remembering!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have a worse issue - I'm allergic to the evil things. Have an Epi-Pen coming, carry Benadryl always, one sting MIGHT not kill me but 3-4 and I'd be fading out and quitting breathing. I'll pass on that, been there, done that once before. They are indeed a PAIN.

Boolit Master

Had this in my yard last year. By late in the season my daughter and I could get within about 3 feet of the nest before the guards would come check us out. Neither one of us got stung, but my wife and other daughter thought we were insane!

Boolit Master

so how did you cut the nest down and get rid of all the bees

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If you spray the nest with most anything petrochemical (or apparently other solutions work too) they suffocate; If you had some liquid nitrogen that'd work to, I'd imagine!

Boolit Buddy

it’s an ant poison that is common in mid America. Orthene made by Chevron is a white powder. If you can see one or more of the holes in the ground that they use to enter the nest, sprinkle a couple tablespoons of the powder in and around the holes. They will track it in and kill the queen. Works every time inside 24 hrs. I have used a cup taped to a pole when it is an especially aggressive nest.
    FYI this is an off label use...understand that you are trying to kill the ants around the holes and the flying critters are just collateral victims.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Golden Orb garden spider - we have one in the back yard. Glad she is there.
    I have them all over the garden. Drag one in now and then when I pick lettuce. I get them on a finger and carry them back outside because they kill a LOT of garden pests.

Boolit Master
    I have used one of those electronic bug zapper's placed over the entrance hole. Bought a smile to my face every 'bzzzzzzzzzt' I heard.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    Old Orthene forgot about that insecticide. Use to use it for aphids on tobacco. That rotten cabbage smell u ill never forget!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Had this in my yard last year. By late in the season my daughter and I could get within about 3 feet of the nest before the guards would come check us out. Neither one of us got stung, but my wife and other daughter thought we were insane!

I can remember when I was 8 or 9 years old my dad took us out back and showed us a nest like that in a bush just off the neighbor's patio. What's kid just have to do? Best throw I ever made from 75' with a green apple off our tree. I had no idea that a nest could hold that many bees. Wowee!! My dad made me march over and tell the neighbor what I'd done, then I was assigned "bee cleanup" after dark that night. I looked like a snowman with a can of RAID in one hand about 9pm. Goggles, head wrap, two pairs of pants, the whole works. I think maybe deep down both my dad and Mr. Hillestad were hoping I'd get stung, I could see the smiles at the corners of their mouths behind the grim faces.
    That was my first experience with two range officers that watched closely from the firing line while I checked my target.

Chickens.
    Last edited by GL49; 09-22-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Boolit Master

I was that kid too same age same ammo but i was maybe 10 feet away and slow I dont remember how many times that I got stung
    but I got stung a lot

My cousin Jackie and I were about ten years old and had made a couple of wooden bats about 1/4 inch thick 2" wide and 20" long and named them "Bumble Bee Bats". My Aunt told us to quit fooling around with the Bumble Bees, we would get stung and we would be real sorry. Like GL 49 said, " kids just have to do'. We went to the hole where the bees lived and began to use the bat pretty effecively, until one bee came in from behind Jackie and stung him on the back of the neck. He threw down the bat and headed for the house squalling like a banshee. My Aunt told him "I told you so". Jackie's answer was " I wouldn't have got stung, but he already had his stinger out when he hit me. " That nest in the green tree sure looks like a fish hanging from the tree. Does anyone else see that or am I just seeing things. Maybe a ghost 10 lb bass.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast