Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataPBcastcoWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Jackets

Boolit Master

Yellow Jackets

how can i get rid of a nest of Yellow Jackets they are in the ground I can not see the entrance hole its under a Yucca plant
    Me and my wife were doing yard work when i found the nest I got stung in the face and ear my wife got stung allover
    I out ran her any tips on what we can do i was thinking about putting up some of those bag traps
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

The only answer..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flamethrower.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	226888
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

I would love to burn those little pricks my bites still hurt wife too but fire is out

a cup of gasoline and a match (at night)...works best...but you could try powdered SEVIN. It might not be as fast as you like though. You'll need to dump the powder down the hole at night or you'll be stung all over again.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

The hole is under a plant i cant see it

Boolit Master

a can of starting fluid will knock them out as they try to leave the nest and then some wasp spray down the hole
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

You might try flooding under the plant with some soapy water. The soap will kill them. I have a miracle grow sprayer with a hose fitting in the outlet. You could fill something like that with dish soap and attach a hose to stick under the plant. I use Palmolive dish soap on my citrus to wipe out white flies. Do it at night and put on your track shoes.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Grand Master

There are traps specifically targeted for yellow jackets and wasps. Otherwise I’ve always used the gasoline approach. I like using old 2 cycle gas. Dumping all over the opening and leave me a runner to light it a distance away, although this isn’t the PC or environmentally ideal. Would probably kill your plant too so may not be a viable approach. Doing some fall cleanup around the house and had several wasp nests to deal with today along with fire ants and a few yellow jackets. Gotta love the south. Chiggers got ahold of me when out in the field the other day despite spraying with permethrin.

Boolit Master

I had a nest right by my well. Home Depot had a spray can of foam insecticide. The advice was to wait until dusk, when the little darlin's had returned home, then fill the hole with the foam, which would urge them forward to the next world when they tried to get through it.

Tried too early the first evening and was encouraged to depart hastily. Next night, I used a flashlight to make sure there were none airborne before commencing the raid.

Worked.

The gasolines of today will barely kill them unlit. I remember the old leaded stuff would kill them on contact. Night time is the best time to attack them. I would dust the Yucca heavily with Sevin and hope for the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

will they come out at night if i go up to the nest to dust them

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    They won't come out nearly as bad as in the day, but don't think they can't fly at night. They just don't like to.
    No matter what you use, the "sneak up - dash whatever it is on there - and run away" technique works best.

If you can find the hole, I personally like the gasoline down the hole approach. You don't have to light it. The fumes are more dense (heavier) than air and will follow the tunnel and kill them. Burning it off actually lessens that effectiveness. But if you can't find the hole or don't want to kill the plant.... I'd try the dust. I'm just not experienced with how effective it might be.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I walked over a nest several times that was between my shed and the house, but one day I backed my car up to the shed door to load a boat battery and some fishing rods, and soon found out that there was a nest, altho before I didn't know. I guess they took exception to my vehicle. I was stung several times. The neighbor lady across the street saw me and brought over a can of long distance Raid. I waited a few hours, mostly to see if I had any reactions to that many stings, and when the yellow jackets calmed down and it was getting dark I let them have it. They lost.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned

most of it would probably just get them drunk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The gasolines of today will barely kill them unlit. I remember the old leaded stuff would kill them on contact. Night time is the best time to attack them. I would dust the Yucca heavily with Sevin and hope for the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The last nest we had, gas wouldn't touch. Ended up using "Bifen IT" mixed with about 3 gallons of water. Oured it as close to where I thought the hole was and hauled butt. All were dead the next day.

BTW, I also use the Bifen concentrate for mosquito control, works wonders..

Boolit Buddy
    The Bifen IT is great stuff, tried it for the first time for mosquitos this year and it worked wonders. I need to stock up before they make it illegal.
    Here in NJ the mosquito is the state bird.

The powdered sevin idea will work. Gasoline and fire, while way more fun, is also messy and if they're under a plant you're going to damage it. I have a container of chlordane I use sparingly since it's been unavailable for years. About 1/4 teaspoon in the hole where the yellow jackets are going in and out does the trick in about three days. They walk through it and carry it into the nest to kill off all their cohorts.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used LARGE amounts of water from the hose to flood the nest and drown them.

Boolit Buddy

You tube is your friend. Video by Mousetrap Monday on youtube is the best method I,ve seen to get rid of meat eating ground bees[commonly called yellow jackets]. He compares two commercial traps to a home made trap. Worth your time to watch.

Boolit Master

going to try it

Boolit Master

PERMETHRIN is the most effective way you can make GALLONS of KILL THEM OUTRIGHT concentrate. Mixed at 0.50% to 2.00% (for a quick knockdown) and sold in 38% concentrate, which when mixed with water will make 9.5 gallons of 0.50% solution, is Hi-Yield 38 https://www.amazon.com/VPG-1744-32oz...ds=hi-yield+38

It is the Army's deep jungle insecticide and if it is good enough for them and sold to the general public, it is good enough for me and it WORKS. It burns them without the fire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hi-yield.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	226903
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast