Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingPBcastco
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Jackets

PLEASE DON'T USE GASOLINE AND A MATCH! IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!

You can use about a half pint of gasoline to pour in the hole, but no matches! I killed a large nest of them close to our front door several years ago. I finally found the entrance, waited until it was really dark, and used a piece of PVC pipe about 3 feet long with one end at the entrance to pour the gas through. It killed them all.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master
    lighting the gas off is ok if you are not a boob and think it out.

then for sport you could get two blocks of wood about 6 inch by 6 inch with handles on the back. then sneak down at night and clap them.

Banned

Pouring gas down a hole is worse than pouring oil down the hole when it comes to your ground water. The permethrin pesticides biodegrade and are used in skin products. Go safe, go smart.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

Boolit Master

As much as I want to light them up
    It's in my front yard under a tree that I really like the yucca plant I could give or take I will try the jet spray tomorrow night and give it a few days to work
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Bub
    I read on this site a year or two ago. If you can see the hole cover it with a clear glass bowl. the hive will overheat and suffocate. As long as they can see outside they wont dig under or another hole. Never tried it myself but sounds like it could work. I have always used gas and a match.

Boolit Master
    Brake cleaner in the hole, on the attacking pests in the air and on any stings.
    I don't normally recommend getting it on your skin as it will dry it out Fast, but it dries out the stings really fast!
    Just don't get it in your eyes!!! Burns Bad.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Marked for reference

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    boric acid works like a charm they walk through it and take back to nest eats wings and legs. had a big nest in the eve of house at the back deck tried everything through gas couldn't light it though. all kinds of bee killer sprinkled a little boric acid and gone in a day.

Boolit Master

Well me and my son got dressed up like we were going to a Antifa rally and dumped 2 cans of wasp killer on them last night I only
    saw a few around today so maybe we got them going to hit them one more time tonight I hope this works

Banned
    oil of peppermint, dawn dish liquid and water kills them faster than anything and won't pollute your ground water. I use a peppermint oil soap but is hard to find. I fill a water fire extinguisher with it and use on hornets as well. As stated they breathe thru there exoskeleton and the soap breaks the ability to stop water, the oil of peppermint causes the solution to burn to keep them occupied and the water drowns them

Moderator Emeritus

One of these set up shop next to my front door(seem to get one there every year...) and was munching on a wasp when I came in from brewing beer today

Boolit Master

I have seen them before what kind is it

Banned

Garden spider

Boolit Master

all these other ideas may work, but get yourself a can of that yard guard. you know the stuff thats shoots about 20's, and a lighter! just dont burn down the house.

x2 on Land Owner post #20 about permethrin. Use the pump up sprayer turned to full stream and wet everything.. Use it for mosquitoes, and fire ants.. Spray the top of a fire ant mound with straight stream and it will cave in. That shows where to push the wand down into the mound while twisting it. Get rid of 12 or so ant mounds with one gallon of mixture is my experience. Hey guys ,one of those propane gopher getters might work on hornets as well. That is the one that has a long wand hooked up to propane with a piezo lighter. They run the propane in the hole several seconds and hit the button and fire explodes out of several holes. . Check it out on utube as it is fun to watch.. You can tell that some of us are a little uhhh ,, not warped ,,,uhh maybe just a little bent. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I had a nest right by my well. Home Depot had a spray can of foam insecticide. The advice was to wait until dusk, when the little darlin's had returned home, then fill the hole with the foam, which would urge them forward to the next world when they tried to get through it.

Tried too early the first evening and was encouraged to depart hastily. Next night, I used a flashlight to make sure there were none airborne before commencing the raid.

Worked.
    I was also going to suggest the spray foam. Spray has decent reach and it foams up really fast, blocks the entrance with the insecticide foam. Put a piece of fruit out at night. Watch from a safe distance in the morning to see where the hornets who come and go from the fruit are exiting the plant. Might be able to use binoculars once you zero in on a general area. Then as Nueces describes hit them in a night raid.

The other option depends on how much black powder you have on hand.... and how much you like the yucca plant or surrounding vegetation. Or if gravel falling back to earth might damage anything.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Well me and my son got dressed up like we were going to a Antifa rally and dumped 2 cans of wasp killer on them last night I only
    saw a few around today so maybe we got them going to hit them one more time tonight I hope this works
    If you can annoy them enough, you'll either kill them or they'll get tired and move. 'Sounds like you took a pretty good toll on them with this raid though. Good luck!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

I was thinking about dragging a 2x4 across the nest with a long rope to see if anyone is home before I walk up to the nest

Banned

You may have especially vicious Yellow Jackets, but I have found you can approach a nest, close enough to do observation and planning in day light and get real close at night to douse them where it counts with the non-foaming spray. It sounds like the war is already won, but they take advantage of existing holes so the nest may be protected, to a greater degree. I still think the battle is over.

Boolit Bub
    I’m surprised that the trap didn’t work. I saw that video the other day while trying to figure out a resolution to hornets that built a nest attached to our house. It would seemed it worked, with video proof! It’s odd it didn’t work for you. Hopefully it’s been remedied by now and that the 2x4 trick shows they are gone.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast