Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Yellow Jackets

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Had this in my yard last year. By late in the season my daughter and I could get within about 3 feet of the nest before the guards would come check us out. Neither one of us got stung, but my wife and other daughter thought we were insane!

Several years ago my Daughter's neighbor had Hornets to build a nest in a shrub near his house. Late one afternoon he decided to take it out by shooting it with a Shotgun. It took about 2 seconds for him to learn that shooting a Hornet's Nest is not the way to be rid of it
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    I found a nest in the maple around the garden area, waited for first cold by La. standards 27’ night got on 6’ ladder right under nest with plastic garbage bag in hand, looked up and bout 4 looking at me. Left forthwith, next morning early stuffed rag in front hole and walla, bagged and cut down, bees inside. Now what, blew bag up with Freon, tight let sit for 8 hrs, that ought to smother em, nope still buzzing. Let out said Freon , put bag in freezer 10’, 24hrs later, still buzzing. Sprayed hornet killer in bag, that did them in, nest perfectly preserved. About 50 dead hornet, bodies to mount for display in my gun room, not in house. Everybody visiting jumps back and startled says howed that get there, long story. These were black and white stripes. Most had left nest and went some where else to winter, I think they find hollow trees to winter in.
    Last edited by Hossfly; 09-23-2018 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Add photo

Boolit Master
    well looks like I am going to war with a nest now. can't burn it. it is a hole in the windowsill on the house. went out and soaked it with bee spray. next morning they are back. I guess they are in beep. next idea is to try to fill it with spray foam insulation.

Banned

That may force them in the house. You can use a dust and/or a spray, but they will die. Just be patient.

Boolit Master
    BZZZZZZZZT. Ultra violet bug zapper works over the hole. Put it over the hole at night and plug it in , in the morning
    Last edited by ubetcha; 09-23-2018 at 06:29 PM.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Grand Master
    I have used a shotgun on yellowjackets and a big round hornets next, about the size of a basketball. 3" loaded with #9 shot. No problems

Moderator Emeritus

My homemade boat trailer had a tube across the front that was open. Wasps built a nest in it... went to move trailer, got nailed on the face 5 times... emptied the shot from a shotgun shell, loaded the shotgun and put it one end and fired. In that confined space it was enough to kill them! Blew wasps and nest out the other end!

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ec8c7927c1a10baf0725fa8d1fc7fbba.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	227668

Well, I don't have a clue if this attachment will work.

Hmm... guess it did.

Boolit Master
    I have spiders this year very similar to the fat garden spiders, but they aren't fat. They are big and have very strong webs.

When I bought my first house in Eufaula I was rather young. While walking around in the back yard, which bordered a cow pasture, I notices a hornet nest in the little persimmon tree just across the fence. I'd find a broken piece of brick that the construction workers tried to hide in my yard and quickly throw it and strike the nest, usually putting a decent hole in it. I'd stand stock still and never once did the hornets fly down for revenge. I suspect that because I wasn't moving they may not have realized I was the attacker, or else I was just lucky....

I have used the lawnmower over the yellow jacket hole before. That was before the mowers had those handle cutoff switches. Just parked it there running until it ran out of gas.....

Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy

Years ago collected those hornet nest, have one hanging from my cathedral ceiling now. After spotting the nest would wait until early fall after weather started to cool down and go out at night using a large thick garbage bag and place the nest in the bag and tape tightly closed and cut the limbs, take home and put in my chest type freezer for at least 3 days to let the cold penetrate to kill the hornets. Spray with clear polyurethane and they stay well preserved. A real conversation starter. People see them and say can you get me one gave several away. Haven't seen any nest in 4 or five years. Have never been stung by a hornet, now bumble bees, yellow jackets and paper wasp are another story.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Apparently some people who find a Paper Wasp nest by them, have put colored construction paper up next to the nest - Resulting in a brightly colored nest. (Guessing they put one color up, then another, etc. over time? Friend knows more details.) Apparently those sell for decent $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Had this in my yard last year. By late in the season my daughter and I could get within about 3 feet of the nest before the guards would come check us out. Neither one of us got stung, but my wife and other daughter thought we were insane!

I had one of these in my basement one year. I was outside and saw yellow jackets flying around the siding of the house. Upon inspection I saw they had eaten a hole through the wood siding and were going in and out.

I went down into the basement and saw that sucker in between the joists for the main flooring. At night I put a big cardboard box under the nest then hid behind the exit door for the basement and emptied one of those cans of wasp and hornet spray that shoots 25' into the nest, starting at the bottom opening and working my way up, saturating the whole thing. I could hear them buzzing like demons inside the nest. Only one of the evil doers made it out of the nest and he fell out, DEAD.

Next day I took a shovel and scrapped off the rest of the nest into the cardboard box and took it to the garbage can. All the suckers were dead.

When I was a kid those yellow jackets would come around and sting me for no reason. Now I kill them on sight. At picnics I get 2 plates of food. One for me and one for the yj's. When their plate is full of buzzing diners, I pull out WD40 and a lighter and light them up.

Quote Originally Posted by dougader View Post
    I had one of these in my basement one year. I was outside and saw yellow jackets flying around the siding of the house. Upon inspection I saw they had eaten a hole through the wood siding and were going in and out.

I went down into the basement and saw that sucker in between the joists for the main flooring. At night I put a big cardboard box under the nest then hid behind the exit door for the basement and emptied one of those cans of wasp and hornet spray that shoots 25' into the nest, starting at the bottom opening and working my way up, saturating the whole thing. I could hear them buzzing like demons inside the nest. Only one of the evil doers made it out of the nest and he fell out, DEAD.

Next day I took a shovel and scrapped off the rest of the nest into the cardboard box and took it to the garbage can. All the suckers were dead.

When I was a kid those yellow jackets would come around and sting me for no reason. Now I kill them on sight. At picnics I get 2 plates of food. One for me and one for the yj's. When their plate is full of buzzing diners, I pull out WD40 and a lighter and light them up.
    i like the wd 40 trick.it,s the only living entity i want to see suffers lol. however,bees is another story for me.i try to not kill them.

the anti wasp foam works exactly as intended.it kills them in seconds.

Boolit Buddy

Try the orthene method
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master

as cool as they look i could not sleep with one of those nest's in my house
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Today I went to Subway to get a couple sandwiches for my wife and I. After I paid and put my wallet back in my pocket, the young lady asked if that was a yellow jacket in my wallet. I looked at her and said What?. She replied with the same question - Was that a yellow jacket in my wallet. I had no clue what she was talking about so I pulled my wallet out, and sure enough there sat a yellow jacket (dead of course - but not squashed) in my wallet. I said hmm put my wallet in my pocket and drove home. I told the wife the story and pulled out my wallet and showed her the yellow jacket. I have no clue how or when that yellow jacket got in my wallet. Thats my story and I am sticking to it. lol

Banned
    A friend and I were mowing and he ran into a nest of yellowjackets. We did what we could avoid that area, loaded up and headed home. shortly we had yellow jacket flying around inside my truck. They had crawled up his pants leg and hitched a ride. I rolled down the windows @ 65+ and got rid of most of them, pulled over and chased out the last few. I'd rather not do that again.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

My old house was on piers. I was up under it one day working on something, I don't remember what now. I almost crawled under the yellow jacket nest that had built almost 3' long and about 2' wide up in my insulation under the floor of that house.
    That was a mess. I started spraying gasoline on it but that only took out the outer layer. I could spray the gas laying on the ground from the edge of the house from a pump up sprayer.
    That nest was several layers thick. I wound up getting my frog gig from the barn, Laying back on the ground, spraying gas and breaking up the layers of the nest with the Gig. Had a buddy there watching. I had yellow jackets flying over the top of me by the thousands but never got stung.
    I broke the nest up out with my frog gig, kept spraying gas until I had broke it up and ended that problem.
    Next thread, wen can talk about those pesky small bumble bees that will chase you for half a mile an still sting you several times. I has a couple episodes with them to with that house.

An old story when I was a young kid. I found my first yellow jacket nest as an observant, the little pests were flying up out of the hole in the ground and entering the hole in reverse order.
    I decided to get a shovel and figure out was down there out of that 1/2" or so diameter hole.
    I was raised by my grandparents. My gram paw saw me going across the yard with a shovel, And as he should, he asked me what I was doing with the shovel. I told him about the little bee looking critters that were exiting and entering the little hole in the ground and he asked me to show it to him.
    Of course he recognized exactly what it was, promptly went to the barn got the gas can and poured gas down the hole then told me to stay away from it.
    But you know us kids, I couldn't resist.... The next day when grand dad was gone I got that shovel back out and dug the nest up. All the jackets were dead and the nest was only a couple layers thick.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Drone seems a fun if pricey way!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345