MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you crimp your boolits if shot in single shot firearms?

Boolit Master
    I crimp my tube feed lever-actions and revolver cartridges. For the handguns, only crimp enough to keep bullet from pulling. No crimp on any Savage 99, Browning BLR, Marlin 62, bolt-guns or my Garand. For hunting rounds in these rifles or auto pistols I will just remove the flare, taper crimp or just enough crimp to smooth the bullet to case mouth for smooth feed. If chamber has a nicely beveled edge I don't bother with the flare, using 'M' style expanders. I try to avoid powders that require heavy crimp to burn properly.

Boolit Grand Master

In my contenders (.222rem and 357 Herret) I don't crimp but just iron out the bell if needed. sizing brass for a contender can also affect accuracy a to tight case or 2 loose case can send accuracy downhill also. TC recommended forming the herret brass to allow closing with a very sight resistance felt. I bump the shoulders back .002-.003 from fired dimension. Same with the .222 this ammo loads and chambers easily but isn't a loose fit.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I crimp everything
    As do I.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Since I flare everything, at least a little bit..... I crimp everything, at least a little bit.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Since I flare everything, at least a little bit..... I crimp everything, at least a little bit.
    Spot on

Years ago a very elderly gentleman (Battle of Saipan Marine) got to talking with me at the range because I grew up on Saipan in the 50's. He noticed that I crimped my reloads for my Garand and asked me "Why?" I told him that I read where semi-auto ammo needed to be crimped to prevent OAL slipping from the recoil and the originals were crimped so that's what I did too. He told me that good loading technique and proper neck tension were all that was needed. He described a test and told me to try it. (It works) He went on to say that military ammo was crimped to prevent OAL slipping because of the rough treatment it gets. AND they put a smudge of tar on the inside edge of the primer seat and bullet base for water proofing. (It works!) Since then I anneal, neck size only and pay careful attention to the seating of the bullet, but I don't crimp anything.

Boolit Grand Master

I crimp the pistol cartridges but the rifle cartridges have enough neck and neck tension that I don't crimp them.

Boolit Master
    I don't flare the case mouths for jacketed bullets, having found that most will slip in if they're started properly. Flaring and crimping work the the case mouths more than I want to. So far, a properly sized case necks are giving me enough tension.
    I gave up neck sizing for cast boolits in my single shots. The boolits are sized for my throat and I don't want the case neck to size them any more.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Since I shoot mostly Holy Black I test with and without a crimp and for neck tension in my single shot rifles and note which shoots best. I find that with Paper patch just a slight crimp is best and in the same rifle no crimp with naked lead.

Boolit Master
    Pistol-- yes, Rifle-- only for my Enfield and Argentine Mauser (they have such short necks that the gas check pushes past the neck-- this leaves too little neck tension on the bullet). All my other rifles have plenty of neck and neck tension. I've even run tests with my two Win 94's and haven't found a load hot enough to push the bullets into the cases in recoil-- so I don't even crimp for the tubular magazine.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master
    With my SINGLE shots I like to breech seat, so crimping is kinda hard to do!
    With any kind of repeater that has high recoil however, I like to crimp as appropriate. My 327 FM loads for revolvers, for instance, get a really hard crimp.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i crimp everything! how much crimp depends on what it is being shot in.

Boolit Bub
    I have three contender barrel that I shoot cast bullets in and I crimp all cast bullets. Resistance to cast bullet is much less than that of a jacketed one so ignition of powder seems to be more consistent with the crimp creating the resistance instead of the bullet. Other than this one could load them longer so that the bullet nose is against the rifling which would also produce more resistance. If this is done a slight reduction in powder charge would be responsible and work up from there.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i crimp everything.

Boolit Master

All revolver rounds get a roll crimp and all autoloader rounds get a taper crimp whether cast or jacketed but I rarely shoot a jacketed bullet through a handgun.

The only rifle rounds I've crimped to date are the .223 rounds I hope to never need. Those are loaded for life threatening situations and ultimate dependability in a crisis situation. I'm not a hardcore prepper but I was a Boy Scout and observe the motto, "Be Prepared." All of my target and hunting rifle rounds depend solely on neck tension.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master
    I crimp mine in my encore for my 475 Linebaugh
    it helps with consistency of burn and pressure
    as long as the charges are identical
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12