Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 mag 280gr h110 load help.

Boolit Buddy

44 mag 280gr h110 load help.

Gun: Ruger Std Redhawk 7.5"
    Boolit: Accurate 43-280F (powder coated, water dropped coww)
    Primer Winchester LPP
    O.A.L.:1.615"

So far I have tried 18 and 18.5 grains of H110
    I figured this would be a very low end starting point based on data for a similar boolit in my lyman book. Cast bullet #4
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5582238851.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	226883
    18gr gave: average 1,240 fps
    18.5gr gave: average 1,220 fps with a much higher extreme spread. (Seems odd)

Primers were fairly fattened similar to factory loads, empty cases didn't fall out but weren't stuck by any means.
    My velocity seems high for the charge weight but I expect that is due to the longer barrel.

My question is where should I go from here? I know you're not supposed to download H110 so I feel like I'm stuck.

Name:	20180909_203219.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	226896
    Last edited by Flailguy; 09-10-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Super Moderator

To be honest, those velocities aren't really all that high to me...I use a few more grains than that with the LEE 310 in the 44 Mag in a Super Blackhawk. I'm NOT telling you to push it any faster... but personally, I would carefully work it up just a tad more.

Boolit Buddy

What is your oal with the lee 310?

Boolit Grand Master

I use 23 gr H110 under my 275 gr Devastator although with WLP primers. They run 1360 fps out of my 6 1/2" Ruger FTBH. I also have pressure tested (Oehler M43) that load and the psi is under the SAAMI MAP for the 44 Magnum. At 24 gr it is just at the SAAMI MAP. Accuracy is excellent out of my Ruger.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Only related, but with a jacketed 275 grain bullet, I use 20.5 grains of H-110. FYI, it's wonderful. No idea about FPS with the load.

Boolit Buddy

I think I might increase the charge slightly. My only concern is slightly shorter oal than with most other boolits

Boolit Buddy

@ Larry and 725. What are your oals?

Super Moderator

Here's some more load info I searched that might be helpful for you. I wouldn't be too concerned about the OAL as long as you work up your loads. I use 21.5 of 296/H110, F150 primer, and seat to the lower groove in the 310. I tried it both ways long and short, and I really didn't notice any difference. It's a stout load, but not over-pressure.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-310-gr-44-mag
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 09-09-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks AZ.
    Considering my primers are fairly flattened already what should I watch for other than sticky extraction?

Quote Originally Posted by Flailguy View Post
    Gun: Ruger Std Redhawk 7.5"
    Boolit: Accurate 43-280F
    Primer Winchester LPP
    O.A.L.:1.615"

So far I have tried 18 and 18.5 grains of H110
    I figured this would be a very low end starting point based on data for a similar boolit in my lyman book. Cast bullet #4

Name:	5582238851.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	226883
    18gr gave: average 1,240 fps
    18.5gr gave: average 1,220 fps with a much higher extreme spread.

Primers were fairly fattened similar to factory loads, empty cases didn't fall out but weren't stuck by any means.
    My velocity seems high for the charge weight but I expect that is due to the longer barrel.

My question is where should I go from here? I know you're not supposed to download H110 so I feel like I'm stuck.
    According to Hodgdon, 18.5 is a starting load and 20.5 is pretty much your max. I would go up slowly from 18.5, I found that there was a sweet spot where I got good accuracy (with 296 - similar or same as H110) and then after that it went to hell quickly.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Also, be a little wary about lighter charges, there are legends about SEE's blowing up guns.

H110/296 does NOT like air space. Fill case with powder to the bottom of the boolit. A bit compressed is not a bad thing.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy

I have right about 22.5 gr of case capacity with this boolit.
    Use this as my absolute max?(working up of coarse)?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I've ran up to 23.8 gr of h110 and w296 with my devastators out of my 77/44 and andaconda. Depending on what alloy its up to 263 to 275 gr PC and GC. My most accurate loads came from 21gr with softer 7.5 BH alloy(.8" 100 yard group) and 21.2 of lil gun with 15.4 BH(.6" 100 yard group). I had a few stick in my 77/44 at 23.8 gr of h110 but found out I had a scale on the blink. The max load I was getting 1.24"-1.3" groups but I mixed a new batch if alloy and must of missed something in my my since the group opened from 1.8-2.2" with three tests. No stuck cases after the new scale was put into play. I had accurate loads all the way from 21 gr to 23.8 gr of h110. I know my boolits are a little heavier so I'd tell you to work up in .2 gr increments from where you stopped untill you see signs if pressure. I would think you'd be approx grain less give or take with your max load. You'll probably find an accurate load before you work all the way up the ladder and see any pressure signs anyways. You can chech out my boolit testing and load development on my home page. Just be safe and use common sense when working up a load. Safe and happy shooting!

Oh, my aol is 1.640" and I use a Lee factory crimp collet die. The crimp pulls the casing down into the crimp groove with a little overlap on top. Makes a nice even, heavy crimp. I also use federal magum pistol gold metal match primers. It going to depend how far you seat you boolits in or out for case capacity. At 1.640" it was longest I could go or the boolit wouldn't feed or function.

I loaded the Lee 310's to the bottom groove but never really load tested them. I don't remember what I loads I tried but I used h110 and worked it up and down. Don't quote me but I almost think I went up to 22,22., or 22.5gr Of h110?...I know I shortened my case capacity with seating it further in.

Here are my devastators loaded at 1.640" using a Lee factory crimp collet die. It saves cutting the cases shorter to line up with the crimp groove. I believe it makes for a more accurate load IMO since it looks like a more even crimp compaired to a roll style.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-09-2018 at 11:10 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Should I expect more recoil than factory 240gr jacketed ammo?

Boolit Buddy

Those are some beautiful boolits tripplebeards!

Boolit Buddy

Thank you all for your info.
    I will post results next time I get to go out. It might be a while (my youngest daughter is 3 weeks old) please keep the ideas and info coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Flailguy View Post
    Should I expect more recoil than factory 240gr jacketed ammo?
    LOL! Hell YES!
    I load trailboss, unique, A2100 and W296.

I also had some factory rounds.

The trailboss loads were like a 22lr. The factory loads and 9grn of Unique are about the same.
    Then you enter the magnum loads...
    W296 and H110 are basically the same. You have to load them full so it is what I call "boomer" loads.
    A2100, you can load to the same level as H110 or you can download it to more of a Unique load...

Anyway, factory vs H110 - it's gonna be bang vs BOOM.
    Last edited by 44Blam; 09-10-2018 at 12:30 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks 44blam, recoil felt slightly less with the load I tried.

Boolit Grand Master
    Flailguy,

With a jacketed bullet - that 275 gr'er I mentioned, I load to the canular (Spelling??) which measures out to 1.590". Judging the body of the bullet and the available empty case above the powder line, I'd say it's touching or just slightly compressing. It's a cracker-jack. I don't normally load such a heavy bullet for the .44 mag. It's not really needed back here in the east. Later this year, however, I'm headed to Montana for elk and I want some grizz medicine should the unfortunate encounter occur. The rest of the time I usually load cast over a lighter charge.

Banned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast