Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warning to all 223 Firearms Owners

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    There are two hard and fast rules in this house concerning AR's. One, the uppers get marked in white paint pen with the chambering, on both sides. Two, magazine segregation. .223/5.56 is put in USGI metal mags only. 300 BLK goes in P-mags. .224 Valkyrie and MSR-10 mags get paint pen'd with chambering.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	227205
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Moderator Emeritus

Well I am a 223 shooter but don't see how this applies to either the Contender or Savage bolt. Sure don't shoot 3000 Whisperer or BO. You might consider rewording the title.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Well I am a 223 shooter but don't see how this applies to either the Contender or Savage bolt. Sure don't shoot 3000 Whisperer or BO. You might consider rewording the title.
    Will a 300Blk round not fit in those two?
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Will a 300Blk round not fit in those two?
    Of course it will. He was just saying the title should be changed because HE doesn't shoot .300 BO and owns no AR .223s.
    Ok.......?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I'm in the same boat as Mt Gianni. I have a TC and a Rem 700 V in 223 but no 300 blackout or AR. As you have to either hand chamber (TC) or hand load the magazine of the bolt gun and not simply stuff a mag in the bottom, It would be hard not to notice the round in your hand was not a 223. I, a 223 owner, am not in the least concerned that I would chamber a 300BO in one of my 223s. For those with ARs in 223 and 300BO, please be very careful.

Boolit Master

I guess the title should be something like:
    Warning to 223 Firearms Owners who either own or shoot 300Blk, have magazine fed rifles or pistols, or shoot next to anyone that may eject a 300blk round toward your bench area, and those that may allow others to shoot their 223 rifles and to all range users that may fire next to someone shooting 223 who disregarded this warning. All others disregard.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    This is how I avoid the problem:

Attachment 227184

As you can see, that bullet is not going into a .223 chamber, unless it got rammed hard and seriously pushed back into the case. I suppose that could be possible, but I'm careful about neck tension and I crimp them in.
    Yep that's how it's actually able to happen, the bullet deep seats making things worse. Not that trying to squeeze a 30 cal bullet down a 22 cal bore needed any help in the pressure department. lol

Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Bub
    Interesting but can't imagine making that mistake....

Banned

Still remember one idiot from Sweden that came here to pick up a Linebaugh (which he couldn't begin to handle). He stayed a few days here and I took him shooting one day. I had a bunch of guns and different ammo and thought by his posts he had some experience. I was about 3 benches down shooting myself. He walked up and said there was something wrong with my 4 5/8s super Blackhawk. He showed me about 20 rounds he shot that were bulged and split. I looked and found he was shooting 41 mag ammo in my 44!! Asked him why he switched ammo and he said he 44 mags kicked to much and he heard 41s kicked less!!!! Should have known better. He bought himself a 500 Linebaugh max and when we were loading ammo for it I asked him what he wanted and he said a 400 grain bullet at about 800 fps. Why anyone would shell out 3k for a beast of a gun to shoot basically down loaded 480s is beyond me.

Boolit Master

Yep that's how it's actually able to happen, the bullet deep seats making things worse. Not that trying to squeeze a 30 cal bullet down a 22 cal bore needed any help in the pressure department. lol
    Yep, could happen. With the bullets I use you'd have to really slam them in hard, maybe use a hammer on the forward assist. I also would never fool myself into thinking that it could never be done, because you never know- split case neck, clueless friend... you never know.

So it's either don't own one at all, or be real careful when I'm shooting to never mix things up. Since that's my default when shooting anyhow...

When I had a shop there was a kid right out of hi school who stopped in with a Rem 721 in 300H&H.
    Left to him by GPa. He wanted a box of ammo for it and couldn't find any at Wally World. He decided
    not to buy them because of cost. He continued to stop in and I was kinda trying to deal the 300H&H
    off him. Then one day he came in with a box of Win 300H&H in the old yellow box from 60s. He had
    bought them off a guy at work for $5. He wanted me to look at them because they were to "fat". The
    bolt wouldn't close on them. What they were was a wildcat 35cal based on 300H&H case. What saved
    a accident was they were just long enough bolt wouldn't close. If they had been loaded with Spitzer
    bullets bolt would have closed. I have seen guys with 3006 get 270s by accident or 243s in 308s
    but have never seen a case visa versa personally. Thankfully most over the counter ammo in popular
    calibres won't chamber.

Boolit Master

I have 4 mags I only use for 300bo, I've painted them FDE. My 5.56 mags are black. I do have a free painted one and a red painted one, for green tips and tracers. The color code helps keep it straight. My .300bo upper is FDE.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'll use the resistor color code again if/when I get some ARs back going; Red Red Orange for 223 Easy for me to use. Use something that works for YOU, though.

All my 300 Blackout magazines have the big ugly number 300 painted on the both sides of the magazine. They are painted camo as well. All my 5.56 mm magazines are black as previously stated by another poster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The paint color code really does work.

Fde? I know its 300bo
    Green? I know its 5.56 greentip
    Red? I know its 5.56 tracer
    Black? I know its 5.56 garden variety

Boolit Grand Master
    These kinds of mistakes are much less likely with experienced shooters. But not everyone is a gun nut or reloader. And it only takes one mistake...even for us.

Good reminder.

BTW, one of the local kids (mid twenties) who is not gun savvy, was going to buy .270 Winchesters to shoot in his new .270 WSM because they cost a lot less. I got him the correct ammunition.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Don't count on store clerks to know anything either. My buddy was looking for some factory 35 rem to plink with and increase our brass stash as we both shoot it and I reload for it. In any case, he called Gandor, they said sure, he went down.. They had 35 whelen....

Boolit Master

I saw the results of a Chinese 7.62 x 39 ... one of the cheap soft steel core bullets
    After a 18 year old tried a round in his dads 243 Winchester rifle ... or what used to be a rifle ...BOOM !!

It fits and head spaces on the bullet I guess

Kid lost 1 finger and had a bunch of stuff taken out of his hand and arm

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    I watched a guy at the range I worked at beating the lever of his 336 marlin against the shooting bench trying to close the action. When I got to him and tried to help his first response was I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING then I asked if I could take a look any how has he was tearing the hell out of my bench top. He relented saying that he's had this gun for 20 years and knows all about it but can't figure out why it won't work today. It wouldn't work because the dumb donkey was trying to shoot .30-30 winchesters in a .35 remington. When I explained the problem with his gun I was told I didn't know what the ..... I was talking about cause ALL LEVER GUNS ARE .30-30's . I just shook my head and told him he should take it inside and have it checked out by the gunsmith.

Boolit Master

As of now my 300BO is barreled in stainless and wears a silver scope while all my 5.56 are finished black with black scopes. I also use 10 round mags in the 300 exclusively and either 20 or 30 round mags in the 5.56 and NEVER take rifles in both chamberings to the range at the same time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12