Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning to all 223 Firearms Owners

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Warning to all 223 Firearms Owners

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...4a&oe=5C2B0484

The guys last words were what did page 6 say in the manual? Saint Peter said don't worry about it Son. You should have been more concerned with
    Revelation 21:8, and Magic Art's then slams the gate shut in his face
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator

This is not breaking news, but a good reminder nonetheless. I have several AR's and keep everything 300BLK VERY carefully separated, especially magazines.

Banned
    John,

Thanks for the post. I have to confess that this is a concern for me. And one of the reasons that I decided not to get into 300 BO.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

Yup, old info but still relevant. First one I heard of had this pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300-aac-blackout-5.56-rifle.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	226882
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    This one above is a great picture. Look at the length of that projectile . I've seen couple pictures like that lately one with a 44mag (i think) that had 5 or 6 bullets lined up in the barrel without blowing up. Started off with a squib but user kept firing. Think about these barrels that is impressive that they didnt blow up.

I shoot both .223 and 300AAC but I shoot one at a time so its only one type of ammo on the table with matching gun. I dont believe in marking magazines or anything like that. You can mark and separate your mags all you want but there is nothing that will prevent your .223 mag to be filled with 300AAC rounds and loaded in a .223 upper.

I check my ammo and my gun to make sure it matches and keep one caliber out at a time and I'm typing this with all my 10 fingers so it hasn't failed me yet.

Stay safe.

Boolit Master
    This is the reason I don't have identical model guns in different calibers.

Boolit Master
    I've seen several AR's that had 300 AAC fired in a .223 when I was working for a manufacturer.It breaks things.I've also seen 9mm ball fired in 9mm paintball AR's.The 9mm paintball round has a 9mm case with a sabot holding a .30 cal paintball.We made them for certain military units for training use.They discovered that a 9mm ball round would chamber.We testfired 9mm in one of the rifles and it would chamber and fire.The bullet sized down to 223 and left the barrel.The problem was fixed for future production.

Boolit Master

Talk about long pencil bullets!
    Good reminder, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Boolit Master
    Holy moly.Wonder what the BC on that slug is.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

I have .223/5.56 rifles, and a .300 Blackout rifle. I'm very careful to never mix things up, and I also never use short, light bullets in the .300bo. The 160gr cast bullets I use simply aren't going to go into a .223 chamber without the use of a hammer!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I have .223/5.56 rifles, and a .300 Blackout rifle. I'm very careful to never mix things up, and I also never use short, light bullets in the .300bo. The 160gr cast bullets I use simply aren't going to go into a .223 chamber without the use of a hammer!
    Don't be too sure, unless the ogive is bigger than normal, which would give issues with AR mags, it may fit. If it's a bolt, then yes, they may be loaded a bit longer.

Name:	081dc77ac2cee638940e486f0f1a870b.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	227159
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Not a chance; I've tried it to make sure. The diameter of the nose of the Lee 160gr bullet is .302", and it sticks out past where the neck of the .223 cartridge is, which measures .248" at the same place. You might be able to pound it in with a hammer, maybe.

.300 Blackout factory ammo should have a BOLD PRINT warning on every box! Lots of clueless shooters out there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i have no room to talk a few weeks ago didn't have my prescription shooting glasses and loaded my 41 mag with 2 357s laying on bench and one actually fired lucky for me it just blew the case apart. no one hurt . only put out one caliber at a time now.

Boolit Master

This info is scary, sounds like something Matt from "DemolitionRanch" on YouTube would do!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

This is how I avoid the problem:

Name:	300bo.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	227184

As you can see, that bullet is not going into a .223 chamber, unless it got rammed hard and seriously pushed back into the case. I suppose that could be possible, but I'm careful about neck tension and I crimp them in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    This is how I avoid the problem:

Name:	300bo.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	227184

As you can see, that bullet is not going into a .223 chamber, unless it got rammed hard and seriously pushed back into the case. I suppose that could be possible, but I'm careful about neck tension and I crimp them in.
    Yup, a good visual makes your point quite nicely. I have a bunch of Barnes blacktips and Lehigh ones so need to take extra precautions.
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

I can sure see how the shorter, pointed bullets could be seriously dangerous. I wouldn't want to have a magazine full of them out at the range at the same time as a 5.56 AR and identical magazines. I've heard the stories.

It's a lot like having 8mm Mauser ammo out on the bench with a 30-06 rifle. I actually had a bit of a close call one time years ago; a friend was trying to load a 30-06 with 8mm ammo. He couldn't quite get the bolt closed when we realized what he was doing. 8mm cast bullet load probably wouldn't have blown up, but I wouldn't want to take the chance. A .30 bullet in a .22 barrel is a whole lot worse than an 8mm bullet in a .30 barrel.
    Last edited by fatelk; 09-15-2018 at 01:39 AM.

Boolit Master
    I concede that it may be possible to load the wrong ammo if one is a little careless, but hell one can hardly mistake a .224 hole for a .30 hole. I surely can not be the only one who checks rifle calibre and ammo before pulling the trigger. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    There are quite a few calibers in which an accident with a larger diameter projectile is possible.......when you are setting off powerful explosions inches from your head,it pays to be more than usually careful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast