RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: First time with COWW and Range Scrap

First time with COWW and Range Scrap

After plenty of great advice and suggestions, I processed 40 pounds of clip on wheel weights into ingots and also processed 39 pounds of recovered range lead scrap into ingots as well. Of the 39 pounds of range scrap, I ended up with 27.2 pounds of nice ingots. I quickly cast 2 9mm 356-120 bullets from the range lead as well as two from the wheel weights. I will check the hardness next weekend, but all in all, it was a great learning experience!

Boolit Master

Kind of makes you feel like you really accomplished something when you take junk scrap and turn it into beautiful, usable ingots!

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Kind of makes you feel like you really accomplished something when you take junk scrap and turn it into beautiful, usable ingots!
    Agreed!

Boolit Master
    I am getting ready to do the same Thang when it cools off . I got about 350 pounds to do

Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    I am getting ready to do the same Thang when it cools off . I got about 350 pounds to do
    Now that will be a full day!

Boolit Grand Master

I may have enough scrap accumulated by winter to do another smelt. And I'm not even actively looking anymore. I still have some old contacts that unexpectedly produce. I was sitting by my bench one day looking at a pallet of unsorted dirty weights, a milk crate full of ingots and a pile of H&G68's that I had just cast and I think "its worth the work"!

Boolit Master

More is better than not enough! Still trying to figure out how to fit all my ingots in a "bug out bag". Yes, Lightman, it is worth the work. Sometimes I have to motivate myself to get in the "sorting" mood. When it's said and done, you step back and admire your accomplishment for the day, knowing it's some more fine cast bullets in the rough! "Mcliff1971" - keep up the good work!

Boolit Bub
    I need to mine some range lead. Just picking over the berm on my outdoor range I could probably fill a 5 gallon bucket pretty quick.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have about 250# of range scrap I need to render into ingots, also have 2 31.5# isotope cores that need to be turned into ingots, but with all the ingots I have already cast
    and ready to use, I might get to it later this fall but then again maybe next spring. And then there are all those sized and lubed bullets waiting to be loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by LenH View Post
    I have about 250# of range scrap I need to render into ingots, also have 2 31.5# isotope cores that need to be turned into ingots, but with all the ingots I have already cast
    and ready to use, I might get to it later this fall but then again maybe next spring. And then there are all those sized and lubed bullets waiting to be loaded.
    Much better problem to have than "I wish I could get my hands on some lead" LOL

I have a 20 gal drum full of range scrap,3 5gal buckets of wheel weights.and a pile of pipe to to turn into ingots. i haven't mined the range since last march,so I'm sure it needs done. waiting for cool weather.