Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Fall Colors & Grouse

Boolit Master

Fall Colors & Grouse

Made about a 15 mile loop on the 4 wheeler yesterday afternoon to check out one of my old grouse hunting spots. This area doesn't have much water in it but most years there are Ruff Grouse, Blues & Forest Grouse but the last couple of years we've had a bad hatch because of a wet spring & not many chicks have survived.
    Some friends told me they have been seeing some birds this year so I thought a little trip would be worth it, even if it was just to see some of the fall colors.
    This ride has quite a change in elevation, probably something like 5700 ft up to about 7,000 ft or close to it. Near the top is usually where you find the big Blue Grouse. Anyway, I got a few nice photo's but only saw one Grouse & one shot with my much used 32 maggie 7 & my favorite load of 3 grs of WST with the 100 gr SWC.
    On the way out I passed this sheep camp, most of these guys are from Peru, although some are Basque. I stopped & took a photo of his camp & a quarter mile away was a water tanker for the sheep. As I was pulling away I looked up on the ridge 300 yds away & 2 of those huge Great Pyrenees guard dogs were bearing down on me & running hard.
    I sped up a bit but these things are fast for their size, one of them almost cut me off & I had to really hit the throttle to pull away from them. I don't know if he would have bit me or if he was just curious, I didn't want to stop & find out! This is the second time in 3-4 years I've been chased by one of these big dogs, they are huge! No time for photo's, I was in a hurry!
    Notice the excellent Ferminator front sight!

Dick

Boolit Master
    I love that western country. Love grouse also. That's a pretty nice revolver you have there too.
    I didn't get to go elk hunting this year. A couple hunting buddies just got back. They were elk hunting with stick and string but using their 45 colts on the grouse. Didn't make contact with the elk but had a non legal bull within 5 yds. They ended up with 12-15 grouse. I had loaded their ammo. The lee 255 RF with 8 gr Unique. This is my favorite 45 cal grouse load. Very accurate and punches a clean hole without tearing up much meat.

It's always good to see your stories Dick.
    Woody
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Moderator Emeritus

Heh, you are talking about my puppy! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	226906

Name is Ruger and is 15mos and a little over 100lbs. His sire weighs 180lbs. Great Pyrenessee are great dogs and he is my buddy and we go everywhere together.

Are those holly grips?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Yes those are Holly, I make lots of them. I had that pair on my OM Ruger 41 maggie for a long time. Used it on a feral hog in Texas back in 2006 so I had a guy engrave a hog on it while we were wintering in Bandera. Now they are on my 32 Maggie. That's the original finish from 2005.

Dick

Boolit Master

Great wheel gun stories and photos; thanks!

Beautiful ! Truly God’s country.

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    Where did you get the front sight? I recently got a Ruger Bisley 6 1/2 in in 32 H&R and it needed a taller front sight. Called Ruger and the nice clueless lady said they only made 1 sight. So I ended up putting a "V" rear insert and a ramp with a Marbles brass bead front to get the right height. I would prefer a Flat front sight like yours. It looks taller then standard. Hope to get a grouse with mine someday. I just got a 100 grain RCBS clone from Arsenal molds and will try your favorite load. Thanks.

There is nothing that I enjoyed more than hunting grouse, especially those lovely big "Blue" grouse! Unfortunately these days my knees and back are totally ruined. Back in the day I would hike around in the bush for miles with my dog and my favorite SxS 20 gauge shotgun ... these days I couldn't make it more than about 100 yards. When I lost my last German Shorthaired Pointer about 4 years ago I didn't replace him since I just can't keep up to an energetic dog any longer, but I have MANY fond memories of chasing the wily grouse ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 sept 2018.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	226986
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02 Sept 2018.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	226987
    Went grouse hunting with my 86 year old dad a couple weeks ago. We were each shooting 1st gen Colts in 38-40 and managed to shoot 4.
    Last edited by hpbear101; 09-11-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    you are livin the dream Dick
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Those excellent sights are made by my good buddy Fermin Garza, you can find him on Single Actions Forum. He sells a lot of them.
    White Eagle, I know I'm lucky & I say it all the time. I live in an area where my family & I can camp, hunt, fish, etc in just about any direction from town in just a matter of minutes. We will be on public ground with few people around, plenty of streams & rivers, lots of mountains & public roads, yes it is living the dream & never in my life have I taken it for granted.

Dick

Boolit Bub
    Beautiful! Thanks for making me jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk