WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Truck

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Lost Truck

I was reading the thread about the cop car getting lost and didn't want to hijack the thread. The thread reminded me of another lost truck story.

In my position, I have many visitors "Salesmen, Company Reps" come visit me, some on regular schedules.
    One guy who worked for an electric motor and generator repair business came in every Friday morning to bring in breakfast snacks.
    On this particular Friday, he had just witnessed a pedestrian getting ran over at a crosswalk before parking his company truck in one of the many parking garages in downtown Houston.
    He was still pretty shook up when he got to my office.
    Anyway, he couldn't remember which garage he parked in. He looked all day for the truck, came back on weekends with his son and did this for a month or so.
    Finally the company wrote the truck off as stolen.

About a year later the police call and say they have found the truck. It was still in the garage it was originally parked in but had been toed to the roof and had been sitting there all this time.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Grand Master

Even normally intelligent people can get shaken up and loose their wits from time to time. As I have aged I have tried to form habits. Such as having a dedicated place to unload my pockets, looking at landmarks when I park, and developing routines for locking the house and setting the alarm at night. When I park at large stores I'll remember that I'm 2 light poles West of the main door or something like that.

Boolit Master
    I keep trying to train myself that way. Hasn't worked in 64 years.

I never been lost. A mite confused a time or two. But if never been lost.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    "I've never been lost ?" LOL I just go "Exploring" !!! But I do get a kick out of seeing someone else wandering around a parking lot with a "Lost" expression on their face, punching their remote trying to figure out where their car is.

Boolit Grand Master

I've never been lost either. Just a mite confused for 2 days and nights!

My sister who moved away from home to central Iowa, went shopping up in Waterloo one day. She was in a shopping center and walked into the building through one door. When she left it was out the door and she couldn't find her car. Finely she called the cops, sure it had been stolen. They sent a LEO out and drove her around the building to her car.
    As a security guard in a mall, we would get about once a mouth a report of a stolen car and we would ride them around the parking lot till they found it. Never had a car stolen. Although once in a while the driver claimed that someone had to have moved it so they couldn't find it.
    Rob
    By the way, I have never been lost, powerful confused for a time but never lost
    Last edited by RGrosz; 09-09-2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: addition commets

Boolit Master

My friend defines "lost" as having to have someone find you. That works for me and so I have not been lost, only temporarily disorientated or confused...sometimes for several hours.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

More times than I can remember people have taxied up to the maintenance hanger and asked "where am I?" The hanger is 150 feel long with a full length, sheet metal, A-frame roof. In letters 20 feet tall "WEST POINT, VA" is written on the roof. It can be read from the air or from the ground.

Boolit Master
    I've never been lost, I tell myself I know exactly where I am, I'm right HERE, but sometimes takes awhile to remember where I want to be!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    More times than I can remember people have taxied up to the maintenance hanger and asked "where am I?" The hanger is 150 feel long with a full length, sheet metal, A-frame roof. In letters 20 feet tall "WEST POINT, VA" is written on the roof. It can be read from the air or from the ground.
    Ha, I have flown around until I found a water tower that I could read!

My old boss used to say: "I've never been lost when I've been out hunting ... but twice somebody moved my truck!"
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

You're not lost if you don't care where you are. I made the mistake of telling a buddy whose vast property I hunt occasionally this once, after a particularly good day with hogs in the swamp. My remark came after he asked me where I had been hunting, as it was after dark before I made it back to the house. 2 years later he had a big plaque inscribed with my quote after I spent a windy, sleety night in the swamp one January. Never live that one down.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Some years ago when I was going back to school at a local community college, I ran into a friend near the parking lot. He said he'd been searching for his truck, coulnd't remember where he'd parked it. I drove him around for a while to all the parking lots to look for it. He was getting more and more worried that it had been stolen, and finally he called the police. He waited there and I went home.

I saw him a couple days later and asked if they had found his truck. He sheepishly hung his head and told me "the rest of the story". While he was waiting for the police, he called his wife to tell her what was going on. When he told her his truck had been stolen, she replied, "No it's not. It's right here in the driveway. You took my car to school today; don't you remember?"

Boolit Grand Master

I've misplaced my car on occasion but i normally park near something that I remember as a landmark. Oddly, I've never been lost in the woods having a sense of direction that let's me point north no matter the time day or night or the way back home. My great grandfather was like that. No Idea how it works but I can go out in the yard and point directly at my hunting camp 900 miles north. Sure helps as a truck driver to know what direction your traveling in.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Many years ago, I left my Camaro at my sister's house for an extended period of time and told her she could use it. The paint was orange peeled and she had it repainted the same color. I didn't notice that when I hopped in and went to the mall. I came out looking for a black camaro with orange peel. I had a heckuva time finding it with it's new paint.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Even normally intelligent people can get shaken up and loose their wits from time to time. As I have aged I have tried to form habits. Such as having a dedicated place to unload my pockets, looking at landmarks when I park, and developing routines for locking the house and setting the alarm at night. When I park at large stores I'll remember that I'm 2 light poles West of the main door or something like that.

I am lucky, my truck is easy to find in a parking lot, 2 ham radio antennas on the box and one is over 7' tall...

Moderator Emeritus

When I was 17 worked at a Great Eastern store and parked my '67 GTO. Finished work went to car and gone. Looked all over, nothing. Calling friends asked them if they moved it. Nope. Am one of the lucky ones - I guess - it really was stolen. Cops said with that car no way gonna recover it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RGrosz View Post
    My sister who moved away from home to central Iowa, went shopping up in Waterloo one day. She was in a shopping center and walked into the building through one door. When she left it was out the door and she couldn't find her car. Finely she called the cops, sure it had been stolen. They sent a LEO out and drove her around the building to her car.
    As a security guard in a mall, we would get about once a mouth a report of a stolen car and we would ride them around the parking lot till they found it. Never had a car stolen. Although once in a while the driver claimed that someone had to have moved it so they couldn't find it.
    Rob
    By the way, I have never been lost, powerful confused for a time but never lost
    They'll never catch the car moving bandit, lol.

Boolit Master
    Some people lack any common sense. When we lived in Alaska I would sell my photography to tourists in the summer at an open air market in Anchorage. From the market you had a great view of the ocean. Not a day went by when a tourist failed to ask me what elevation was Anchorage was. Often I would just point to the ocean and they still didn’t get it.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

It is an odd feeling to come upon tracks in the snow that look just like yours and they are fairly fresh.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast