Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Graf & SonsMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersStainLess Steel MediaTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9.3x72R load advice needed

Boolit Master
    peter72,

ONCE MORE, you NEED a chamber cast to see what EXACTLY that the caliber actually IS. = MANY older/antique firearms were rebored/rechambered in the pre-WWI & post-WWI era.

Btw, because of Jessie at JES, reboring/rechambering to a different caliber is NOT uncommon NOW. = I have & would NOT part with a Model 760 that was once a .30-06 & is now a 9.3x62mm Mauser for dangerous game.

yours, tex

The 9.3x57R is a shorter version of the 9.3x72R the longer case can be trimmed down to 57mm and be resized an reloaded as 9.3x57R.
    If the 9.3x72R fits the chamber it is most likely that the 9.3x57R chamber has been reamed to accept the more common 9.3x72R.

The 9.3x57R for the m/17 Husqvarna has nothing in common with the 9.3x57 Rimless for the Mauser cylinder action wich is based on 8x57 Mauser.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9,3x57R CotW.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	227400

Name:	Husqvarna Modell17.gif 
Views:	7 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	227401

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackpowderSweden View Post
    The 9.3x57R is a shorter version of the 9.3x72R the longer case can be trimmed down to 57mm and be resized an reloaded as 9.3x57R.
    If the 9.3x72R fits the chamber it is most likely that the 9.3x57R chamber has been reamed to accept the more common 9.3x72R.

The 9.3x57R for the m/17 Husqvarna has nothing in common with the 9.3x57 Rimless for the Mauser cylinder action wich is based on 8x57 Mauser.

Name:	9,3x57R CotW.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	227400

Name:	Husqvarna Modell17.gif 
Views:	7 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	227401
    Thankyou for the excellent explanation.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

http://www.municion.org/9_3/9_3x57R.htm

But since the 9.3x72R fits the chamber, you probably have a rechambered rifle so your CH4D dies will probably work fine.
    Reading up little about reloading the cartridges, the x57R variant seems to have been basicly a Blackpowder only round at the time of the model 17, later ofcourse they were smokless rounds for sale.
    The 9.3x57R had about 1200Bar the x72R had about 2000Bar
    Be careful not to overload your gun, go mild loads.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackpowderSweden View Post
    http://www.municion.org/9_3/9_3x57R.htm

But since the 9.3x72R fits the chamber, you probably have a rechambered rifle so your CH4D dies will probably work fine.
    Reading up little about reloading the cartridges, the x57R variant seems to have been basicly a Blackpowder only round at the time of the model 17, later ofcourse they were smokless rounds for sale.
    The 9.3x57R had about 1200Bar the x72R had about 2000Bar
    Be careful not to overload your gun, go mild loads.
    Interesting.
    Seeing as I don't know if it's smokeless capable, my intention is to load smokeless at bp pressures.
    My searching tells me bp pressures are at or around 18000 psi.
    I'll be using 3031 equivilant and some data I have from loaddata.com has 17.5gns as a low pressure load.
    But there are some suggestions to start higher so I'm a bit confused as to a safe starting load to be honest.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Peter, sounds like you know what you are talking about! that is great!
    I have a friend hunting with a m/17C 9.3x57R loading with Smokless, way over BP performance without problems.
    Your gun will probably not blow up, but more likely work loose (play) in the hinge pin if you load hot.

Boolit Master
    peter72,

Inasmuch as Husky never made BP-only firearms after the turn of the 20th Century. I wouldn't worry over much about the safety of the firearm (presuming that it's tight & otherwise in sound condition).

AFTER you have a chamber-cast & KNOW for sure what cartridge is proper for your firearm, you could start at about 60% of the recommended maximum load for the cartridge & work up from there to the old-school "high speed" .38-55 equivalent load.
    (The 9.3x72R is NOT a POWERHOUSE but it is perfectly adequate out to 200M+ for RED DEER & wild Boar-size game, using a 200-225 grain GCCB or JHP.)
    When I was stationed in BRD, I often hunted with a retired German policeman, who had/hunted with his late father's circa 1910 cape-gun in 9.3x72 with a 16 gauge shot-barrel. = That long/heavy/blunt-profile bullet was a DEEP penetrator on Red Deer & wild boar. It often passed through the chest of his game, leaving a GOOD blood-trail to follow if necessary.

NOTE: WT deer are just NOT at all hard to kill cleanly. Remember that MANY THOUSANDS of WT were successfully taken using the old .32-40WCF, for close to 100 years. = Nobody can kill game "deader than dead".
    (The "standard speed" .32-40 factory load was a 180 grain RNLB at 1400FPS.)

yours,tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-20-2018 at 01:59 PM. Reason: clarity

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12